Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

zeldazonk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2012, 12:53 am

Hi everyone,
I've finally been diagnosed which I'm kind of excited (among other things) about.
I haven't spoken to my psych about it yet, just read a letter she wrote to my GP and copied to me.
The only confusing thing is she uses the term "high functioning Asperger's Syndrome"..
I've never come across this term before, has anyone else :?:
I've only heard of AS and High functioning Autism...

Thanx, Zel

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 1:00 am

I think this usually refers to an individual who can mask their symptoms in public, but are clearly AS when seen by a professional in a clinical environment.

It just means you have AS, but you don't need a lot of support to go about your daily routine. You may not even 'come off' as having AS unless you get close to someone.

Autism, like Asperger's, has a full range of functioning ability. Some Classic Autists function better than some with AS.

Note that 'high functioning' is not your diagnosis, though, it's just a remark about you display your symptoms.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

She's just saying that you're doing fairly well, that you're "mild" and coping with life better then a Low Functioning Autistic, that you can handle stuff alone, even if you need a little help or guides.

I think that's the gist.

zeldazonk
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2012, 1:44 am

fragileclover wrote:
I think this usually refers to an individual who can mask their symptoms in public, but are clearly AS when seen by a professional in a clinical environment.

It just means you have AS, but you don't need a lot of support to go about your daily routine. You may not even 'come off' as having AS unless you get close to someone.

Autism, like Asperger's, has a full range of functioning ability. Some Classic Autists function better than some with AS.

Note that 'high functioning' is not your diagnosis, though, it's just a remark about you display your symptoms.

Thanks Fragile,
I guess I thought Asperger's was high functioning if you know what I mean - relatively speaking along the Autism spectrum...
Looks like we've been diagnosed at about the same time!
Congratulations (I think) :D
Best, Zel.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 3:41 am

LOL, well, "high functioning" doesn't have a clinical meaning, really. It's just something doctors say when you don't fit their stereotype of "severe". Since the stereotype itself is usually pretty wacky and off-base, and every doctor seems to have a different one, the meaning of high or low functioning is about as well-defined as my cat's knowledge of Shakespeare.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2012, 4:07 pm

fragileclover wrote:

Wow, that sounds just like me. I wish my therapist would tell me more than "It's a common misdiagnosis so I don't think you have it".