Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

AugustX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2012, 11:55 am

I know they (ie fire trucks, etc.) are there to tell you "Out of my way!" for good reason, with their blaring sirens and horns, but since I don't even drive yet, I find it hard to imagine being with one on the road. Are they really that distracting to someone as an aspie? What are your experiences?

TechnoDog
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:11 pm

Some cars in the uk, you can't even hear them, even if they're right behind you.

Don't really bother me. It is also to warn people at road sections, so you don't drive into them.

I like the 2 fire trucks that crashed into each other, in the USA that was funny going to the same place. Really were not paying attention.

?When you make a mistake, don't look back at it long. Take the reason of the thing into your mind and then look forward. Mistakes are lessons of wisdom. The past cannot be changed. The future is yet in your power.?

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 12:32 pm

When they are right behind you, it almost becomes a panic, cause you don't want to get crushed by the emergency vehicle. Literally they are going balistically fast. And I cannot always get out of their way towards the right cause that's what everyone else is doing. One time I looked like a jack ass because I was on the left most lane. [I think] and I couldn't make it to the right so I merged as close to the most left turn lane. But then I watched the ambulance take the turn on the left most non turn lane and I was like...well now I am a dick forever. A dick with some other cars they did the same.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:01 pm

Driving? Not so bad unless right on me. Walking? Panic & agony.
And some just came in this neighborhood just now. Synchronicity? LOL

Sincerely,
Matthew'

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

I almost got hit by an emergency vehicle once as a pedestrian when I was in France. I couldn't escape it properly while it was passing by at full speed because the other end of the road was a precipice and the road was too small.

Dillon
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

They don't bother me so much when I'm driving, but I work at an urban hospital and there are sirens going every few minutes. Police and fire sirens aren't as bad as ambulances which always seem twice as loud and are so shrill they make my teeth rattle. It makes it really hard for me to go outside when I'm at work. Today I had a mini-meltdown at lunch because there were like 5 of them all at once.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:36 pm

They don't usually drive that fast. I've seen lot of people drive faster than emergency vehicles just to get around me.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Emergency vehicles are nuts!

Tell me about it. I know an ambulance with split personality disorder. Half the time he thinks he's a hearse.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:50 pm

My husband was driving around a large roundabout, when suddenly this fire engine came hurtling towards us, going round the roundabout, the wrong way. My husband slammed on the brakes, just in time. From the bend in the road and slight incline, there was no way we could have seen it before it was almost on top of us. And the last thing we expected was a vehicle to be going anti-clockwise.