Anyone else not have sound-related sensory issues?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:22 pm

I have very few sensory issues and not many related to sound. The ones I do have that I related to sound are very mild compared to some people. I used to not understand why people covered their ears for loud noises when I was little. I do now, but the only noises I cover my ears for are people dropping pots and pans (I weekly occurrence at our house), fire alarms and sirens. I don't have a meltdown or shutdown or anything though at all. Yes, I have them, but related to emotional triggers (ex. anxiety), not sensory issues.

I dislike certains sounds that aren't loud, like "scraping" sounds and such, they make cringe a little, but that's about it.

Is there anyone else who isn't bothered by sound much?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:23 pm

Sound is the most common sensory issue, I think about 80% (i read 70 or 90 but can't remember) of people with asperger or autism have sound sensory issues

I don't have that many issues with sound, but if something is really loud for a long period of time I shutdown

jedaustin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

Mine are very mild - I tend to battle such sensitivities by always focusing on something
(sometimes just thoughts in my head). If I can't focus though it's really annoying.

dr01dguy
Toucan
Toucan

31 Mar 2012, 2:42 pm

Sounds don't really bother me. Tastes (and to a lesser extent, smells), on the other hand, are another matter entirely...

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:57 pm

dr01dguy wrote:
Sounds don't really bother me. Tastes (and to a lesser extent, smells), on the other hand, are another matter entirely...

That's like me too.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:10 pm

I don't have a major problem with sound. Very loud noise is painful but that is near the sort of levels where health and safety recommend wearing ear defenders anyway. Loud music and flashing lights like in a club will drive me mad.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 4:00 pm

I don't have very many sensory issues either. I never did but they were worse when I was a kid but they got better through therapy. Lot of sounds don't bother me either. They were more of an issue when I was little.

Aharon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 4:02 pm

Subwoofers and tweeters hurt. I do dishes with ear plugs. My ears ring a lot, especially when I'm stressed or tired. Motorcycles, passing jets, ambulances, some supermarket electronics that beep, and music and/or people who are too loud.

As for other stuff, I dont like cologne or perfume, scented lotions are too strong, and I think makeup makes women smell funny. I like the smell of skunks and ball point pen ink though.

We are not so different from potted plants in that, if given everything we need to be properly nourished, the outcome can be incredibly contrary to when we are not. A flower won't grow in flour, and neither can we.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Mar 2012, 6:04 pm

Sudden noises make me jump an flush with adrenaline (i.e. car horns, dropping pots/pans, popping balloons), Some sustained noises I find very obnoxious (motorcycles, multiple shopping carts on asphalt, many types of cellphone ringtones),... a few others I am forgetting

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 10:57 pm

Not really. Nails on a blackboard hurt, and I think 90% of the kids and teachers in my grade school hated that one (the other 10% were the ones who did it just to see other people cringe).

In a place with loud music, I seem to have more trouble than most people do understanding what anybody else is saying, and loud music that goes on too long, as in rock concert, hurts or gives me a headache.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 11:09 pm

Can put up with most noises durring the day but a tv thats on black screen but not off will drive me mad.

draelynn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 11:17 pm

I have mild sensory issues with sound, smells and sometimes textures. I also have some mild sound processing issues which makes for an interesting combination of challenges that really just don't seem to make sense together. I can do loud concerts - but I cannot distinguish instruments in the music. I can't understand most lyrics unless they are painfully clear. Sound melds with background noise to the point I do not hear any distinct sounds at all - it all sort of whites out. (which is probably why loud concerts are good - I can only hear one thing at a time... music is a singular, not a collection of instruments...) I still jump from sudden sounds even if I'm expecting them. I'm sensitive to all the same tones and pitches most people dislike only my reaction is more extreme - and I have to work hard to suppress it. Quite exhausting actually.

Maybe they're not so mild after all... ;)

RR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Apr 2012, 12:04 am

High pitch is like torture, I put my fingers in my ears if it is my girl. If it is a firetruck or ambulance, I try to see where it is going. If I am at work, I block it out by doing my job. Same for beauties.

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Apr 2012, 12:19 am

concerts, too many people talking, clubs/bars, crowds, lots of treble, sounds I cannot distinguish, laughing, repetitive sounds that do not stop, surprising sounds, probably more I cannot think of...causes my ears to hurt and head aches+emotional responses I cannot control- I often do not realize these changes in my mood occur and am suddenly in a bad mood without reason.

sounds are one of the biggest ones for me....

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 12:59 am

I don't have any sensory issues or if I do, they are too mild for me to deem them as "issues". Reading other examples I noticed that there are some sounds, like fingernails scratching on a chalkboard, that get me out of my mind. I think that's normal though, so correct me if I'm wrong.

TimpaniRol
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Apr 2012, 2:07 pm

ohh yeah! , i'd say that sounds are the greatest sensory issue for me. i won't list them all, but it's pretty much a list of the "classics" that you read about. and it pisses me off to be told "get over it"! If im in a situation where I can't do anything about it, like construction sites, noise at work, etc, it just contributes to burnout/meltdown that occurs at the end of the day, which seems "all of a sudden" to other people, but it's a build-up of sensory stress up to a point where i crack.