Page 3 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Pipilo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 May 2012, 1:59 pm

I like being on auto pilot, too, it's kind of like being in my little cocoon with my own thoughts and feelings, and I feel insulated from all the thoughts and feelings and stimuli from the rest of the world. But I can understand it feeling scary, sometimes I freak out a little when I arrive home and I can't really remember the drive, but I'm so used to it, I don't freak out for long.

Samual
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 May 2012, 2:24 pm

There have been times at work when ive been walking around without really knowing what im doing. Oh, im walking up the stairs with this tray of food. I must be taking it to Junes room. Im back in the kitchen.. i dont even remember waling down the stairs. These times are during sensory overload.

Timeconsumer
Raven
Raven

31 May 2012, 2:29 pm

zombiegirl2010 wrote:
Heidi80 wrote:
zombiegirl2010 wrote:
I am happiest when I'm on autopilot.

Can you explain why? For me, autopilot is a scary thing, because then I can't feel anything.

Because I don't feel much of anything. I "lose myself" in that moment. Because my "norm" is feeling entirely TOO MUCH and it makes me nuts...keeps my anxious.

How do you mean that you can't feel anything? Is it that you're absorbed in one thing and the world can pass you by? You're anxious at what goes by when you're in auto pilot? I think maybe you just need better coping mechanisms to deal with real life so it doesn't get forgotten and the real world doesnt pass you by.

I think some of us enjoy it. As long as you're doing something positive with it i mean. Not just staring at the wall and making up excuses to not do things you should be doing. If you're disciplined it doesn't matter what you waste your free time on if you enjoy yourself. There are things that you can do that give positive benefits and stop you feeling anxious about time you waste zoned out on and interacting with the world on auto pilot. For me, my likes are first, urhhm, to start, games. And by that i mean games of every kind. Sports, puzzle games, words games, board games, computer games. Games can be so fun and they can take up 100% of your brain and i dont see how you can feel guilty about spending time on something that you have fun doing. Games especially can be very good brain exercise too so i'd never feel i'd wasted my time. Reading is a good one too and a favorite of mine. Movies are good, especially if the sound is high and it's something new. Music is ok but it's a little backgroundy, unless you're maybe watching the music video at the same time maybe. I suppose absorbing any new information on a subject that interests me could be put in the same category too.

I like zoning out doing something. Especially if i can be doing a few things at a time. Like listening to music + doing something repetitive + thinking about something. Well it's not so much that im doing it all at the same time but it's like you're juggling. Sometimes you'll be doing something complicated and the music and whatever you're thinking about will just disappear for the moment that things get really complicated. Or then a nice part of the song comes on and you stop doing your repetitive task while you fully concentrate in the song for that really nice moment. For me it's like if i listened to a song there are only a few parts where i'd have to give the song 100% of my attention and for the rest of my time i only need to give it like 30-40% because it's sitting there in the background. With the repetitive task taking up 30% and the thing im thinking about taking up another chunk im like 100% occupied for most of the time with only a little juggling to make sure that i can be doing one thing at a time but in such a way that the one thing doesn't get boring because im continually changing what im focusing on.

When i was a kid i used to play computer games , i'd have music on in the background and then i'd have a book to read when the game i was playing was loading a level. Just in general i love to be as occupied as i can at all times.