Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 6:23 pm

What is being done during a testing with that mysterious ADOS?

I am curious because it's mentioned so often as a reliable tool during ASD diagnoses and I assume that it wasn't used during my testing. Or just parts of it because I was asked to do some hideous tasks and to describe and to explain nonsensical things I couldn't explain; all of that seemed really random but I don't see how most of that could have yielded results unless repeating what was said and saying "no" and ignoring them or talking about something else did give me points for whatever.

Does the ADOS (the module suitable for verbal adults, I imagine they'd have used that if they used this test at all) consist of questionnaires? Are there pen-and-paper tests to be completed? Tests with toys? (Now, that would be fun, hehe.)

Or is it a sort of rule-book for the diagnostician to go by including questions he or she should ask the autistic person (if they're verbal) and what behaviours and symptoms they should pay attention to and which scenarios they should create in which the autistic person has to react? That is what the psychiatry that diagnosed me did and I would think it is that a reliable way of figuring out whether someone has autism. Is any of that part of the ADOS?

Judging from that during my diagnosis, the diagnostician had to give up (I remember that I refused at some point because I couldn't do it and they talked too much, trying to explain, so that I'd clap my hands over my ears) on having me doing questionnaires and certain tests and I cannot imagine such kinds of tests being a part of the ADOS, unless there was a score for not being able to complete them.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 6:29 pm

That is the question I asked a couple of hours ago, but you asked it so much better.
I'm taking it tomorrow....so if you have no answers by then, I will inform you.

I think that there are conversations and interactive play stuff involved, even with adults. I'm sure that if you clap your hands over your ears and can't go on, at least without a break, then they will make note of communicative problems.

But, I wish I knew what you wish you knew. Tomorrow will be enlightening...

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 May 2012, 8:13 pm

ADOS is a series of tasks intended to determine which autistic traits you display. Examples I have read on this forum include:

* Using some random objects (say a shoestring, a popsicle stick, a pog) to tell a story.

* Looking at a picture book and describing what is going on in social terms.

* Describe an emotion

I think they give the Sally-Anne test as well, or something like it.

There are a few different versions dependent on age as well. Adults do not receive the same tasks as children.

I wish I could remember more.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 8:18 pm

I failed the Sally-Anne test as an adult, three times (the tricky people just told it in different ways and with different objects).

They won't get me again!

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2012, 11:07 pm

I read about the Sally Anne...and obviously, to me, the answer was the "wrong" one....
Shoot.

They're gonna be tricky tomorrow.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 12:12 am

I also failed the Sally-Anne test. I didn't think and went with my instinct, ooops.

Ataraxis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2012, 1:38 am

What is the Sally-Anne test? I've never heard of that before.

INTJ
What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? I don't know and I don't care.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 May 2012, 7:35 am

Ataraxis wrote:
What is the Sally-Anne test? I've never heard of that before.

This is it:

http://www.asperger-advice.com/sally-and-anne.html

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 11:10 am

I also failed the Sally-Anne test, so it is written in my report that I have a very low Theory of Mind, and I have difficulties imagining what is going on in peoples mind and that makes people unpredictable for me.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2012, 10:33 pm

The ADOS is lame. The tasks that don't involve talking about yourself and your life are stereotypical and really only are difficult for people with more severe forms of autism. It's certainly not a test to show Asperger's, if you ask me. I would go more in depth with what you do and what they ask you, but then that wouldn't make your results valid if you ever do take the ADOS, would it? :wink: :lol: I've taken it twice, both for research study participation. I still am waiting to hear my score from the one study. Wasn't allowed to learn my score at the other study. I'm sure that I didn't score in the "autism range." If anything, I scored in the "Asperger's range," another flaw, because many with a diagnosis of AS score in the "autism range" for research studies. (Is it any wonder why autism research is so muddled?!) The ADOS is very overrated for high-functioning diagnoses, if you ask me. For example, I've always been very talented at coming up with stories off the top of my head and being very imaginative. So, people with Asperger's can't be imaginative? Again, stereotypical and flawed.

Nash: Is there a difference?