Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2012, 5:16 pm

Hi

I have noticed that since I started a job and my attention has focused purely on that, I have started to forget day to day things to the point where my dad jokes that I have amnesia! For example, this week, I put my coat on backwards, forgot to brush my teeth on two nights and barely ever remember to pick up my lunch box or do the things that have to be done but are now not in my routine for some reason.

Anyone else relate? It gets me a few (hopefully well meaning) laughs when I do something stupid. Although in my last place of work, I was bullied terribly for it.

MrJosh
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2012, 5:28 pm

Yeah, I am like that too - It can be from little things to forgetting to pay bills etc...

I didn't think I'd ever be the kinda person to be writing lists - but I do now, and it helps - of course that is if I remember/make the effort to look at it!

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2012, 5:33 pm

Oh yeh, forgot about the bills! Have to have them all direct debit now as it just won't happen otherwise.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 6:00 pm

Yeah, my executive functioning is definitely limited and when more things to remember are added some other things-to-remember fall out. I'd be doomed without phone reminders and Google tasks.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 6:56 pm

Executive Function Disorder (EFD) is a common co-morbid with Autism spectrum disorders. It gets worse when the brain's processing is being overloaded, and when we are tired. You have a new job which has added additional processing demands on your brain. Also, the new job is taking up time that you used to use for other things, so you may be short changing yourself on sleep to keep up with everything. You need to make sure you get enough sleep, and let a lot of non work stuff go until your days off. You may also need to cut down on TV and web surfing on work days. Do not short change yourself on sleep!

slave
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 7:26 pm

questor wrote:
Executive Function Disorder (EFD) is a common co-morbid with Autism spectrum disorders. It gets worse when the brain's processing is being overloaded, and when we are tired. You have a new job which has added additional processing demands on your brain. Also, the new job is taking up time that you used to use for other things, so you may be short changing yourself on sleep to keep up with everything. You need to make sure you get enough sleep, and let a lot of non work stuff go until your days off. You may also need to cut down on TV and web surfing on work days. Do not short change yourself on sleep!

The questor is wise. :)

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

27 May 2012, 9:50 pm

Bonafan wrote:
Hi

I have noticed that since I started a job and my attention has focused purely on that, I have started to forget day to day things to the point where my dad jokes that I have amnesia! For example, this week, I put my coat on backwards, forgot to brush my teeth on two nights and barely ever remember to pick up my lunch box or do the things that have to be done but are now not in my routine for some reason.

Anyone else relate? It gets me a few (hopefully well meaning) laughs when I do something stupid. Although in my last place of work, I was bullied terribly for it.

Me in a nutshell, not going to lie. :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 10:19 pm

Yep, sure am. If something is not in my routine, I am very forgetful about it. I do this at work a lot. I even do it at home. My husband will tell me to do something and I think I will do it in a little bit when I am through with something and I end up forgetting. I just need to be reminded and I will do it.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

johnny77
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2012, 11:28 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Yeah, my executive functioning is definitely limited and when more things to remember are added some other things-to-remember fall out. I'd be doomed without phone reminders and Google tasks.
Dido here or you have a hundred things going on and some one interrupts lost for a bit till I can figuer out what I was doing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2012, 3:27 am

Yes, I can relate. This is why I hate mornings - there's so much to do in the morning, it's like going to sleep resets everybody. I've got to get up, make my bed (can't start the day without making my bed), have a drink of milk, go toilet, clean my teeth, wash (if necesary), put deoderant on, get dressed, put dirty clothes in laundry bin, brush my hair, straighten the parting, put hairspray on my hair to keep it in shape, put lipstick on.....it's never ending!

Then every time I go out, I always feel that I have forgotten something. My handbag often feels lighter than I thought, and that gets me worrying that I might of forgotten something important, although I could never think what. This is why I stick to one handbag - so that I can keep everything I need inside it without having to keep converting everything from one bag to another, just for the sake of thinking having different handbags for different occasions is necessary, in which it doesn't have to be.

I can remember bigger things like appointments, but these little things I have to do every morning can drive me crazy in remembering. I will have to start writing out a list of to do things in order.

Bonafan
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2012, 4:01 pm

Wow, Questor, I didnt realise that. You are right about sleep, am definitely worse with less sleep and leaving stuff to the weekend sounds a great idea.

Thanks, a great answer.