What part of a project do you like most?

Page 2 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

What stage of a project do you like most?
Planning 39%  39%  [ 24 ]
Doing 35%  35%  [ 22 ]
Result 21%  21%  [ 13 ]
I don't do projects 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 62

mv
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 10:36 am

Planning. Everything is always so much better, so much more intricate and worthwhile while in the planning stages. I like the doing, too, but less than the planning, and sometimes the doing can get tedious. The end result doesn't so much matter to me.

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 11:05 am

kx250rider wrote:
I like the actual work of the project best. Planning it is fun too, but once I get into it, I have the most fun and reward. In fact once completed, I lose interest to a point. One of my special interests is collecting and restoring Diesel cars and trucks, and once I get finished repairing/restoring everything to the best possible condition, I seem to just park it in storage and there it sits, until I notice something is needing repair... Then I get it out again and work on it some more. I do drive them on a regular basis to keep them from getting bad tires and stale fuel, or rusty cooling systems, but I don't ever really use them for going anyplace. I have 6 of them all done & sharp, sitting in a building down in Los Angeles where they're safe from mice, which would destroy them here on the ranch in Ventura County.

Charles

I have a couple hobbies where the end result literally sits in a box for the rest of eternity, so I can totally relate to this, thanks for sharing!

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 1:00 pm

For me it's between planning and doing. I love to sketch things out on paper with lists of parts, procedures and an order of operations. I also like doing some projects and can become completely lost in them. However completion? While I do like it to some extent, it's not as much fun as the other stages.

vindaloo
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Jun 2012, 2:22 pm

Planning and doing in equal measure. I always find the result something of an anticlimax, even if everybody else involved is full of praise.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 3:28 pm

Planning and research first. Doing comes second. The result - well at that point I'm usually ready to start the next project.

Quote:
One of my special interests is collecting and restoring Diesel cars and trucks, and once I get finished repairing/restoring everything to the best possible condition, I seem to just park it in storage and there it sits,

I can definitely relate to that. I built a Lotus 7 type car from scratch. It took me 2.5 years. In total I probably drove it 1000 miles before I sold it.

The 4x4 and trials cars are a bit different. There is pretty much a continuous cycle of modify->test->break it->modify->test...

The trials car has gone through this cycle so many times that only the gearbox, axles and a couple of the wheels are original 8O

Moondust
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 3:45 pm

I'm a research and planning person. I don't mind at all if I never get to the actual doing stage. The results are very important to me, because they are the measure of the success of my planning. I even have elaborated intricate trip plans of places I don't think I'll ever visit!

Monkeybuttorama
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2012, 3:58 pm

Moondust wrote:
I'm a research and planning person. I don't mind at all if I never get to the actual doing stage. The results are very important to me, because they are the measure of the success of my planning. I even have elaborated intricate trip plans of places I don't think I'll ever visit!

I'm the same way, and I have this ongoing plan to make a moon/colony for mars to make terraforming possible, and a "castle" made of glass (aquariums, actually) inside of a dome that is climate-controlled (and if I ever have enough money, the second will happen, the first I just enjoy thinking about and planning out what would be needed)

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 7:27 pm

I like doing it because you will eventually be done with the project and see the final product and be amazed at it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 7:37 pm

I like it when I'm FINISHED with the project.....

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 8:08 pm

Tricky - I picked planning because that's probably the closest.
But what I really get a kick out of is the researching and learning - whether it's the theoretical stuff (sort of planning) or picking up the practical techniques (sort of doing.) I lose interest once I'm not cramming my head full of new concepts, so I am terrible for starting a new project and leaving a trail of half-done ones behind me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 9:14 pm

I like all stages. I do this a lot in crafting.

But I like planning more than the results, and actually doing them more than just planning about it. Sometimes I skip the planning part and get on with doing it.

So yes, doing it.

More than half the time I have results from my projects, I give them away or sell them when they're good enough :lol: The rest is either recycled/scrapped or actually in use.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2019, 11:17 pm

I like working on the project. I like to see every piece of art that I do as a project.

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 9:11 am

Planning is difficult for me because of my executive dysfunction, so it is frustrating and quickly drains my mental energy.

I prefer just doing it, especially if it is repetitive.

I like to see progress, but having a finished result is depressing because I can no longer work on it.

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 10:20 am

Planning is boring and I try to avoid it, and any result deflates quickly. So "doing", no question.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 10:26 am

Planning mostly. But every phase is fine...as long as I can work ALONE :-)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2019, 3:17 pm

DanielW wrote:
as long as I can work ALONE

Seconded! :D