Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Michellen2008
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2012, 9:13 pm

I constantly stim mostly when I'm stressed or just worked up and have too much energy or my mind is racing and can't slow down.

I pace, hand flap, rock, finger flick, bite my nails, clench my teeth together, clean my teeth with my tongue constantly annoyed by food, bite my lip (chew skin off it of chapped), tilt my head to the side, pop my neck, crack my knuckles, bob my head back and forth as if I have a song stuck in my head, clear my throat, bounce my legs, wiggle my toes and tap things like my steering wheel of my car (usually when anxious or excited). And I sing songs when I'm stressed tuning out when in overload or when I'm in a good mood excited. If I'm not driving and someone else is I'll tune out to my headphones with my iPhone music player or I'll stare out the car window off into space, not respond to anything around me. Oh and one I'm trying to stop is skin picking I pick at my arms when agitated for pressure but some people don't get it or understand and I nose pick embarrassingly - I can't stand for my nose not to have yucky stuff out of it (sorry if that's tmi) I'm a detailed person and tell it all.

What's everyone else's stims? If you care to share?

greenmamma
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jul 2012, 9:28 pm

Most of my stims are pretty subtle. I rock side to side when standing. Wag my office chair side to side when sitting. Spin in the office chair if no one is watching. Wag my right foot side to side. Chew anything that is a certain feel in my mouth. Pen caps are great for that but if I chew up the pen cap then the pen has no chance if it's made from that same plastic. Play with sculpy clay or stress putty. Rub my hands together if I have no clay. Chew my nails, chew on chapped lips. Pull my fingers through my hair. And I keep my nose impeccably clean but I do that in the bathroom.

I spend a lot of time stimming.

Valkyrie2012
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2012, 9:31 pm

I could have written this to a T... even your TMI bit (said reluctantly lol)

Also rock side to side when standing... do a type of odd hand wave when indecisive... Eat... and doodle are the only ones I can think to add.. oh and I made a "stimming necklace" for when in situations like being at work where they don't allow me to stim... This necklace has many textures, sounds and sizes. It is very soothing.

Thanks for your blunt honesty in your post... I love bluntness :)

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

nail chewing (which is common even among NTs)
mouth chewing (always trying to give up this one - it's a pretty awful habit)
head banging on pillow when in bed trying to sleep, playing music, etc.
swaying back and forth when talking (had to break this habit when teaching, lol - "Mrs. Murdock, you are making us dizzy!")
rub hands and fingers against certain textures (my bed has a nice, cold, metallic frame that feels really cool to touch)

fefe333
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jul 2012, 9:41 pm

I bite my chapped lips, play with my eyelashes,tap my foot,twist my fingers,rock back and forth,chew the inside of my mouth,bob my head, twist my wrists/ankles and a few others that I can't remember. I also have a keychain clip clipped onto my belt buckle constantly and if I get nervous or anxious I mess around with it.

aspie quiz results: 172/200
I am suspected to have aspergers, but I'm not diagnosed.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 9:47 pm

Foot tapping, knee bobbing, leg shaking, repeating phrases, making weird noises, pacing, sometimes rocking, finger tapping, inflating my cheeks and then puffing out the air (like Kirby).

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 10:00 pm

for many years I sometimes had the sensation that I was rocking back and forth or side to side. I'm not sure if I actually was rocking or not. No one ever said anything about it. Since I started reading about AS I definitely seem to be doing it more noticeably.
I tap my fingers to my thumb a lot. Most of the time I don't realize I started doing it.
I also twirl things in the air and catch them. That can get kind of interesting when it's a knife or something similar :lol:
I also like to balance things like broom handles or any kind of long object on my hand.
If I have a sun burn I can get totally absorbed in peeling off the dead skin.
I also can't leave scabs alone. I can't stop myself from picking at them.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

kdm1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jul 2012, 10:06 pm

jetbuilder wrote:
If I have a sun burn I can get totally absorbed in peeling off the dead skin.

Oh goodness. I do that, too - have to peel off every part until it's all normal again. Fortunately, I rarely get sunburned.

Michellen2008

17 Jul 2012, 10:16 pm

I also noticed myself earlier picking at my toe nails and I pick at my finger nails too (learned that one from my dad I think he is an Aspie), but he tells me everyone don't have friends and are a little weird. Anyway, I also finger flick and pick the skin around my finger nails until it hurts and it too short it's a bad habit mostly I do when stressed after biting my nails I also pick skin off around my toe nails. I also rub my hands together kinda like people do when cold, I do that when both stressed/anxious and excited about something.

SDAsp
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Jul 2012, 10:20 pm

I didnt recognize them as stims till recently but mine are

mouth chewing
I tend to pick at my teeth and braces with my fingers (disgusting)
Tongue cleaning
I scrape my tongue with my teeth
Drumming (same beat over and over and over again)
Twitch my nose
Pick my nose (I know its gross but I can't stop)
Occasionally rock back and forth
Doodle (the same thing over and over and over - basically four lines connected to every other line)
I rub my fingers on the table or chair or my blanket, or my kindle fire, anything available pretty much
Stare off into space
grimace (usually not in public though)
Stare at people/objects (really awkward if it happens to be a guy)
Pick at scalp
Play with my double-jointed thumb
Bite nails till they cant be bitten anymore

The list could go on and on but those are the main ones,

Michellen2008

17 Jul 2012, 10:21 pm

I also will take my hands and rub blankets (fur ones I have) or walls vecatsw rubbing the texture calms me down. I will also squeeze my hands together release from fist when stressed, while curling my toes and arching my back for a pressure like feeling, rub my head against a wall for pressure when in overload. I have this weird tendency to blink my eyes when streamed its like a release not sure if anyone else does it? Hard to describe.

Michellen2008

17 Jul 2012, 10:27 pm

Sorry about the misspelled words my phone tends to put other words in for me that I do not want to type. Ugh. Sorry if I'm talking too much too- im just excited to be a new member on wrong planet and meet others without judgment and that understand me.

Michelle

Michellen2008

17 Jul 2012, 10:30 pm

I was also diagnosed when I was 16, am 24 now, have one child on the spectrum and one child developmentally delayed.

OhioStateDolphins
Raven
Raven

17 Jul 2012, 10:49 pm

putting a water bottle up /cup to my mouth (even if it's empty)
hopping up and down on an exercise ball
I used to pace a lot when I was younger, not as much now.
I'll sometimes dart out of my chair if i'm excited about something, even if it's something small.
twirl my key around my finger (it's on a lanyard)

felinesaresuperior
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2012, 11:37 pm

i pace back and forth and flap my fingers and wave a handkerchief/sock in the air. i started this at around age six and do this every day, sometimes several times a day.
i'm aware of the fact that i cant do this at work, so at work i flip a pen while on the phone. (i do survies over the phone for a living. i'm one of those horrible people who call you up in the evening to torment you with an endless survey with questions that keep repeating themselves. those questionnaires were made by someone who's in hiding now, to avoid getting lynched.)
somehow, flipping a pen for HOURS, non stop, doesnt get the same attention flapping fingers of sock/handkerchief would. seems like nts do it too.

shortcircuit3
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jul 2012, 11:48 pm

skin picking, rocking, pacing (in circles, particularly), repetitive recitation of pi to 1000 digits, repetitive recitation of various poems (and various pages from various books), hand flapping, occasional palilalia, flicking fingers, knuckle and joint twisting (my default stim, fifteen years strong).