Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 5:08 am

That's what it mostly is for, right? This forum, specifically, it has some discussion of psychological notions but people mostly enjoy talking about their experiences... it's not really analytical. At least that's what I observed.

Sometimes I wonder whether most people even read the previous posts, as they seem to directly reply to the topic in question. See, I bet this meta-reference won't even be referenced in most of the replies now. :P

groisht
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jul 2012, 5:31 am

Gathering what I could from he last few words of your post, I agree. I post on this site in order to entertain the infantile part of me that thinks posting on here will make some kind of difference to my life. I pretty much regret every single post immediately after I've done it, including/especially this one.

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 5:31 am

I've noticed I tend to be more analytical than a lot of people. I'm less interested in experience than I am in understanding the underlying phenomenon, however I am also aware that other people do want to know about others experiences.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 6:33 am

I've never visited the city of Catharsis so can't comment how similar it is to WP. :P

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 6:49 am

WP=soul retrieval

WP= crisis of ego battlefield

WP=an open classroom @aspietech international

WP= an on-line support group

WP= an on-line aspie hookup lounge

WP= an appropriate space to be inappropriate

WP= an aspie news, information and meetings directory

WP= a veiled mystery of aspie female wonderfulness, unseen[except words on a screen] and out of reach :cry:

Shroomy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jul 2012, 7:45 am

I do read. :( I usually read all the posts but sometimes I accidentally skipped some things because of my lack of eye tracking skills... unless the thread is 10 pages long, then I only read the first 2 and the last 3 and I carry on reading once I get email notifications on my phone.

groisht wrote:
Gathering what I could from he last few words of your post, I agree. I post on this site in order to entertain the infantile part of me that thinks posting on here will make some kind of difference to my life. I pretty much regret every single post immediately after I've done it, including/especially this one.

Same here. Now I'm worried I've said too much about what I did, especially in this post. :(

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

28 Jul 2012, 7:49 am

Mootoo wrote:
That's what it mostly is for, right? This forum, specifically, it has some discussion of psychological notions but people mostly enjoy talking about their experiences... it's not really analytical. At least that's what I observed.

Sometimes I wonder whether most people even read the previous posts, as they seem to directly reply to the topic in question. See, I bet this meta-reference won't even be referenced in most of the replies now. :P

I recall seeing quite a lot of analysis, mostly people analyzing their own behaviors, thoughts, and actions. There is catharsis too, but I think that it's a mistake to write off the former.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 2:20 pm

It's like any other message board on the internet. That is, it is whatever the people who post on it decide it should be within the context of the actual site. It's not diagnostic, but it can help people reach their own conclusions about who they are. It can be cathartic because it aggregates together people who share common traits and experiences in a singular place and allows them to see they are not alone. It can even be therapeutic as the shared coping strategies can help those who post here and read what is written to live fuller, more functional lives.

For me, it's helped me come to terms with the high likelihood that I am an aspie and to see what that really means. It also helps me to know that I may be weird, but I am not alone in my weirdness. I just wish I could meet others like me so that I didn't feel so all alone sometimes.

Last edited by outofplace on 28 Jul 2012, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt62
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 3:04 pm

It is, today. It is also my support group. Just like HealingWell's Chronic Illness forums are with my Crohn's disease.
And there is nothing remotely wrong with any of this!
Its not a place for doctors & shrinks to pick us apart to see what makes us tick. However, they could sure learn a thing or two about autism & the Spectrum if they would visit this site!

Sincerely,
Matthew

Mdyar
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 9:58 pm

Mootoo wrote:

I'm one to run way off topic, but they say no one on the spectrum can have a sense of humor. :lol:

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2012, 10:44 pm

groisht wrote:

I feel the same way. I feel insecure about posting something perfectly fine on a website full of people who have more to worry about and who can be just as insecure.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 10:50 pm

I rarely read anything.

Too hard to.

I skim for "points".

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2012, 10:55 pm

Dillogic wrote:
I rarely read anything.

Too hard to.

I skim for "points".

I try to read a page of posts, then I see a long one and start to skip posts.

Unrelated: I tend to read your posts in Nibbler's voice because of your avatar.... xD

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2012, 11:18 pm

outofplace wrote:
It's like any other message board on the internet. That is, it is whatever the people who post on it decide it should be within the context of the actual site. It's not diagnostic, but it can help people reach their own conclusions about who they are. It can be cathartic because it aggregates together people who share common traits and experiences in a singular place and allows them to see they are not alone. It can even be therapeutic as the shared coping strategies can help those who post here and read what is written to live fuller, more functional lives.

For me, it's helped me come to terms with the high likelihood that I am an aspie and to see what that really means. It also helps me to know that I may be weird, but I am not alone in my weirdness. I just wish I could meet others like me so that I didn't feel so all alone sometimes.

Well said. Got to agree 100%.

It's also for the non aspie looking for insight into there loved ones (think every one should come with a manual (Lots of pictures)). Plus here I can be me and drop the NT act for a while in front of others so to speak.

PS Catharic is bad for your lungs, need to give up smoking.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2012, 11:22 pm

DrPenguin wrote:
outofplace wrote:

Well said. Got to agree 100%.

It's also for the non aspie looking for insight into there loved ones (think every one should come with a manual (Lots of pictures)). Plus here I can be me and drop the NT act for a while in front of others so to speak.

PS Catharic is bad for your lungs, need to give up smoking.

but I don't smoke...

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 12:06 am

I generally read the first page or two of posts, skimming the ones that take up the entire page, but yes, generally you are correct, as far as I'm concerned this is a great place for me to come to get advice, vent about stuff I know will finally be related to by somebody, and mostly just to feel like I belong somewhere. After all day struggling to survive a world designed for NT's, it's nice to have a place to come to where I won't have to explain my bizarre behaviour, or get confused, brush-off answers to social questions most people think are "obvious". In short, it's just a place I've come to enjoy, where I can say "I'm one of them, I belong here."

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!