Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

pippilngstkngpr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2012, 11:55 pm

I rarely visit a mall more than an hour. I am always sitting down where I find spots, since my feet hurt so bad. But I am now noticing since I been going to the mall with my friend Sarah a bit more than I normally would otherwise. I completely shut down. She looks at me differently and she tells me I look sad and even dead inside. I try to explain it's so bright, I'm hot, just a sensory issue. But I really just completely shut down, I do let in some conversation but not enough for a conversation and happiness. When I leave the mall it takes at least 20 minutes to come back to myself.

Anyone else have a similar problem or maybe a completely opposite?

-Catherine

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 2:52 am

Yep, though I go to malls so infrequently I marvel at all the things that have changed since I last went.

I experience that in other settings though, I used to experience that really badly in lecture and exam environments (due to the amount of noise and movement from all the other people) before developing some strategies to work with it better. I generally prefer going to shops by myself because then there is no simultaneous pressure to be sociable etc. If I am with someone I tend to just follow them around to reduce what I need to process, which generally annoys whoever I am with a bit. Does it get easier as you get more familiar with the mall?

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 7:28 am

I do not like going to malls because they can be overwhelming and I feel like people are looking at me and making snide comments and the other thing s that I see people togerther there and I always am alone going there with no one in my life.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2012, 8:19 am

Radiofixr wrote:
I do not like going to malls because they can be overwhelming and I feel like people are looking at me and making snide comments...

How I feel every time I go anywhere.

I don't go to the mall very often anymore, but when I used to I tried to enjoy it, but ultimately always had this underlying discomfort.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 8:45 am

Radiofixr wrote:
I do not like going to malls because they can be overwhelming and I feel like people are looking at me and making snide comments...
This one of the reasons I don't, the other being that I don't like shopping.

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNjuB4 ... WnSA552Xjg

MightyMorphin
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 8:48 am

Radiofixr wrote:
I do not like going to malls because they can be overwhelming and I feel like people are looking at me and making snide comments and the other thing s that I see people togerther there and I always am alone going there with no one in my life.

This, plus I generally hate shopping. My clothes are getting quite old and tatty, because I haven't been clothes shopping for a while now.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Jul 2012, 8:52 am

I actually like malls when I'm with friends, but if I see someone outside the group I'm with that I know walk by, I get really anxious, not knowing what to do.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 9:03 am

I start getting impatient and snappy when I'm at shopping malls, especially with relatives. I feel wherever I stand I am in somebody's way, and every time I go to pay for something I always do something stupid (didn't think paying for something in a shop would be such an ordeal for me), and I get tired with following people around, mostly in clothes shops more than any other books. Book shops are quite boring aswell because there are millions of novels and not much other types of books to look at. I don't read anyway so I find book shops rather boring, but I still would prefer to be in a book shop than a clothes shop, because I don't feel that welcome in clothes shops (probably because there are mostly women in them, and young girls working on the till, and quite frankly young girls don't seem to like me).

I feel happier once I'm in HMV. I also like WHSmith (shop that sells stationary, books, sweets, and all different sorts of stuff like that).

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 9:36 am

KnarlyDUDE09 wrote:
Radiofixr wrote:
This one of the reasons I don't, the other being that I don't like shopping.

I do most of my shopping online-I am pretty standard in size and buy stuff from the same places online for cosistency in clothing like polo shirts and jeans and stuff.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 10:22 am

I haven't been to a mall(should really be spelled maul) in six years or so and then I was tricked into it.They smell bad and the stupid mass consumerism makes me sick.All those people going into debt so they can buy the latest fad that was made at a sweat shop.Plus I hate shopping.Half the stuff they buy winds up in a landfill a year or so later.The stores also through good items into the dumpsters and break them on purpose so people can't fish them out.Why don't they donate them to a women's or homeless shelter so someone could benefit?A major pet store rips open it's unsold or expired pet food and throws it in the dumpster,why isn't it donated to an animal shelter?They just want to brainwash you into " BUY BUY BUY!! !"then you become a slave to the system and wind up being owned by your possessions.

goodiesguy
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jul 2012, 10:37 am

The "Mall" in dunners (dunedin for you non locals. it's in Kiwiland) isn't that big compared to what you american's probably have, although it is basically three different mall's joined together, Wall Street (the newest one, Single floor), Golden Centre (single floor), and Meridian (about 3 floors).

I love it, as on the top floor of the meridian is my favorite place "JB Hi-Fi". It has almost all the cd's you could think of, and is great for oldies music. I also collect vinyl, and love boths formats. (i'm what you call an Audiophile. I don't like the sound of mp3's, they color the high frequencies and have compression artifacts)

Esperanza
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 11:36 am

Ah, malls! Malls and grocery stores. They put me into overload every. Single. Time. And I shuffle around like a zombie looking like this: 8O

Then when clerks try to talk to me, it... Goes poorly.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 11:42 am

I don't go to the unless i have to get something, then i get out of there as fast as i can.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 5:29 pm

ghoti wrote:
I don't go to the unless i have to get something, then i get out of there as fast as i can.
Same here; although I rarely ever get given money, but it usually just gets spent in a game shop or on CDs.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2012, 5:40 pm

The one good thing about the UK compared to the US is the high street as an alternative to the large commercial mall. Hot, noisey, smelly, full of people and lit by fluorescent lights that bounce off every surface. Although the UK ones contain the bain of my life .... LUSH. A free migraine for every passing penguin, my sister made me get her the soap/face wash for xmas one year and I was off work for a week.

Been told I look like an extra from dawn of the dead.

KnarlyDUDE09
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2012, 6:01 pm

DrPenguin wrote:
The one good thing about the UK compared to the US is the high street as an alternative to the large commercial mall. Hot, noisey, smelly, full of people and lit by fluorescent lights that bounce off every surface. Although the UK ones contain the bain of my life .... LUSH. A free migraine for every passing penguin, my sister made me get her the soap/face wash for xmas one year and I was off work for a week.

Been told I look like an extra from dawn of the dead.
Although, most things in the UK nowadays- particularly where I live, are found in large 'super-malls' that include nearly every brand or shop one would want/need to shop in; with the exception of supermarkets and groceries.

By the way, what does "LUSH" stand for?