Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kenjitsuka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Aug 2012, 6:42 am

It really depends completely on many factors, so keeping it vague on purpose is not helpful at all.
For instance; do you have to bite the bullet just ONCE or every day for many years to come?
What are the rewards?
How much stress does it give you, and how long will the stress last?
What are the alternatives?
What do you lose out on when you don't force yourself?

For instance, I acted like an NT for decades, forcing myself to be in social situations, do tons of school work etc. etc.
Eventually I had a huge meltdown, tried to commit suicide and was unable to work for two years.

But shorter things, like making a phone call or going to a friends birthday party for a little while... that's just different than the other situation.

The Broad Autism Phenotype Test: You scored 132 aloof, 126 rigid and 132 pragmatic. IQ: 139. AQ: 45/50

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

06 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

I have to psyche myself out to do some things. like brushing my teeth, arghhh. since I dont have a social life not really. but sometimes motivation to even get out of my PJ's is a chore. I could sleep all day

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2012, 11:17 am

it is not a good thing to be coerced, but to force oneself is part of learning:

"...[E]xperience; which, if taken as it comes, is called accident, if sought for, experiment." (Bacon)

i have tried many things in my time, not always unregrettably; but the things i found most value in, came as a result of my having overcome a general reluctance through this process.

as a child, i was timid & imaginative of fears, but also capable of bold leaps & fierce defiance once i threw off my inhibitions. now i think there is nothing to be gained by inhibition (though discretion is a separate virtue, & not easy for someone like me to discover). it is actually pretty useful not to feel the opinion of others, whether in praise or censure, for all journeys of innovation.

this is an advantage, looked at in the way of its outcomes. unfortunately the world wants to keep score, & rewards accordingly. gold, silver, bronze... it does not see the achievements of individuality per se, but only as they can be turned to profit.

reasoning." --William Blake

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 8:09 pm

I have severe social anxiety and have had to force myself to talk to people in social settings, and I've even had to force myself to leave my room at college in order to go get food or use the bathroom. 8O There were times when I was starving or on the verge of wetting myself, and I still had to push myself to take care of those basic needs.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

Kairi96
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jan 2013, 2:32 pm

If I try to force myself to do things, it's only worse. If I try to force myself to study/do homework when I feel that I can't, it's a total mess, and the next day I take a bad grade. If I try to force myself to not be distracted when I am diastracted, the stress level increases so much that I can end up having a shutdown or a panic attack. If I try to force myself to "stay calm" when I'm hyperactive, I can end up having a meltdown. If I try to force myself to socialize in the days I know I don't want to, I can end up getting very anxious. So, it's better not to force myself into doing things.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2013, 2:47 pm

I force myself to do things that are uncomfortable for me when those things are also important to me.