Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 11:55 am

Next week, I'm going on vacation with my dad for the first time in over 6 years, and for the first time since I found out I may be on the spectrum.

My dad and I are very alike. We've never had any real conversations about anything really personal.
We can be in the same car for 3 hours and not say a word. If I AM on the spectrum, my dad definitely is too. I can remember one of his friends telling me my dad had no friends when he was younger. Several other things points to him having AS too.

I want to talk to him about how I learned about AS and how I'm planning on getting tested for a Dx.
But just thinking about talking to him about this...... 8O 8O 8O

I was thinking about doing it through email (like I did with my mom), but I think I should do this in person. I think it's important for me to get used to TALKING about it face to face with people.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to get this conversation started without me drowning in anxiety?

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 12:01 pm

the scenario was same with my parents too.
and mom would deny anything i told her.
denial is common word with such parents
i dont know how your dad will react
does it matter anyway

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Sep 2012, 12:52 pm

I have the same type of problem, getting that conversation started is like a brick wall. sigh. I would say, maybe you could initiate the convo via email beforehand, and then follow up in the car with something like, "Do you have any questions about my email?" that way, you can either talk about it in the car, or you can talk about something else, but either way, you've mentioned it, so it isn't stuck in your head.

Let us know how it goes! Another thing might be- write out notecards of what you need to say and then maybe you could read them in the car. I'm sorry if that sounds lame, but its a technique I use all the time when I know I'm going to stress out and not say what I need to say.

Bunnynose
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Sep 2012, 4:27 pm

Why not just start with, "Hey, Dad. Ever heard of Asperger Syndrome? I think I might have it."

If he shows interest or tells you want AS is, then you can have that conversation.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2012, 12:48 am

Or maybe you could just read a book with Bold headlines about Aspergers Syndrome while in the car and probably he would ask you whats the book about
but usually such parents never ask
So might as well put up a batch about aspergers syndrome and he will look curiously and might go home to surf the meaning of it.....