Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

PixieXW
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Oct 2012, 4:49 pm

Most of my friends have known all my life basically that I have aspergers and I have gained two friends that I trust, I mean really,really trust but I'm still not sure they generally bare the brunt of my special interest conversations and I feel like I owe them some kind of explination. I think both of them might becoming to my house on Tuesday and I feel I need to get it off my chest. I actually think Ailsa might have aspergers even if she hasn't been diagnosed she is social but not good at asking questions, she interupts, is incredibly intelligent and has a tendance to talk too loud. What do I do? Is it worth the risks?

emimeni
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:57 pm

If you're friends with someone, it's worth the risks. If they aren't your friends, you risk the illusion that they were your friends. If they are your friends, you risk nothing.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 6:54 pm

You can tell them casually, but don't expect them to really, really understand what it is and they might respond with "no you're not" because they think ASD is something other than what they see in you. So don't take it personally because they may not really know (even if they have it, or have traits!). I've found that talking about my autism is the least interesting thing to my friends, so once we've discussed it, I just move on and go about being friends and if it comes up, so be it. They don't want to talk about it all the time.

If they are your friends already, they accept *you*, so if you need to bring it up, that is one thing, but if they enjoy your company that is a good sign that they accept you, whatever makes you the way you are :) good luck!

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 8:55 pm

If these are close friends then I see no harm in telling them. They are unlikely to judge you harshly for it because they have already accepted your quirks and this just puts a label on them. However, I would be reticent about telling casual acquaintances (the "drinking buddy" kind of friend) about it as it might cause a negative reaction. They may not value you enough to be willing to put in the effort necessary to have you around. It sounds harsh, but most NT's are shallow people and only keep people around so long as they bring them pleasure.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:10 am

I don't tell my friends. I'm too ashamed of my condition to let everyone know, and I can hide it well enough so I'm sort of OK there, all they suspect of me is an anxiety disorder.

If someone who I really liked turned round and said, ''I've got AS'', I would probably tell them that I've got it aswell.

jonny23
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2012, 6:23 am

glasstoria wrote:
If they are your friends already, they accept *you*, so if you need to bring it up, that is one thing, but if they enjoy your company that is a good sign that they accept you, whatever makes you the way you are :) good luck!

X2

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

05 Oct 2012, 7:00 am

If they've known ya for a long period of time, go ahead; I am upfront about what I have now, so it's whatever your heart tells ya.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

05 Oct 2012, 7:35 am

I have told one very close friend and my sister. Any other relatives I may or may not, we'll see. Definitely no info about it on F-Book or telling Co-workers. I know for sure my co-workers would not understand it at all and use it against me.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm

PixieXW wrote:
Most of my friends have known all my life basically that I have aspergers and I have gained two friends that I trust, I mean really,really trust but I'm still not sure they generally bare the brunt of my special interest conversations and I feel like I owe them some kind of explination. I think both of them might becoming to my house on Tuesday and I feel I need to get it off my chest. I actually think Ailsa might have aspergers even if she hasn't been diagnosed she is social but not good at asking questions, she interupts, is incredibly intelligent and has a tendance to talk too loud. What do I do? Is it worth the risks?

You can start to talk about your feelings and your problems
and then ask her about her feelings and determine by that whether she has typical symptoms.
If you know her well, then you'll probably know a lot already and you'll have it easy to ask the right questions.

I did that with a friend of mine, but didn't tell him I am an aspie,
although he told me that he suspects himself to be ADHD
I think he has too many similar problems that it could be only that.

I'll work on that every now and then...

qwertyuiop1994
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Oct 2012, 2:07 pm

I haven't told my friend but that's because I don't know why we're friends they get nothing out of the relationship as far as I can see but if you're good friends with them I say tell them. :)