Does the Asperger Syndrome still exist as diagnosis?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 4:01 pm

As teen i was diagnosis for having Asperger Syndrome, but now i learned that now is just autism spectrum disorder ?

How is it?

RubyWings91
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2017, 4:28 pm

I think that, currently, those of us who were diagnosed as having Asperger's syndrome while it was considered something separate from autism keep our diagnosis as having it while any new people displaying it will be labeled as having autism.

Personally, I think that because the autistic spectrum is so broad that they should make an Asperger's section within it and just keep sorting people that way.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 4:31 pm

Impossible for me to be an Aspie now , the best I can be is an Asdie :D

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 5:40 pm

It depends on the manual the clinician is using. Only the DSM manual version 5 subsumed Aspergers Disorder into Autism Spectrum Disorder. According to that manual "Individuals with a well-established DSM-IV diagnosis of autistic disorder, Asperger’s disorder, or pervasive developmental disorder not otherwise specified should be given the diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder." The other main manual the IDC still has "Aspergers Syndrome". As for "aspie" that is an identity, not a diagnosis. Use of that term is completely up to the individual.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Glflegolas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Aug 2017, 6:54 pm

The answer to the OP's question is yes and no.

Aspergers Syndrome officially doesn't exist anymore.

But the diagnosis -- difficulty learning social skills -- still remains. It's been renamed to social communication disorder though. It's meant to apply to individuals who have deficits in the social use of language, but do not have the restricted interests or repetitive behavior seen in autism spectrum disorders.

It should be noted, though, that SCD is not an autism spectrum disorder. It's instead called a language disorder. And it's still a bit controversial; some clinicians believe that weak social skills are simply a symptom of other disorders.

An important note: With any developmental condition, the diagnosis you get can easily depend on who you're tested by. For example, an audiologist might suspect you have auditory processing disorder, a speech therapist might say it's a language disorder, and a psycologist might diagnose you with dyslexia.

Myers-Briggs personality: The Commander
Asperger's Quiz: 79/111, both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits present. AQ score: 23 Raads-r score: here

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:03 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
As teen i was diagnosis for having Asperger Syndrome, but now i learned that now is just autism spectrum disorder ?

How is it?

Not all countries use the DSM-V. My country uses DSM-V so I'm not very familiar with the ICD but I'm pretty sure it has Asperger's Syndrome. I also have an old Diagnosis. I have PDD-nos rather than AS. As what to go by. It's personal preference, I prefer autisitic. but you should introduce yourself, as you want. I'm pretty sure DSM-V is the only one that has ASD as a single diagnosis. What ever you want to introduce yourself is okay. If you feel like you have to call yourself that. P.S. I'm having social isolation problems.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:11 pm

The psychologist who diagnosed me with "High Functioning Autism" made it very clear to me that he didn't think Asperger's should have been lumped in with Autism, and throughout the diagnosis consistently referred to it as Asperger's.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:20 pm

Pieplup wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

How is it?

Not all countries use the DSM-V. My country uses DSM-V so I'm not very familiar with the ICD but I'm pretty sure it has Asperger's Syndrome. I also have an old Diagnosis. I have PDD-nos rather than AS. As what to go by. It's personal preference, I prefer autisitic. but you should introduce yourself, as you want. I'm pretty sure DSM-V is the only one that has ASD as a single diagnosis. What ever you want to introduce yourself is okay. If you feel like you have to call yourself that. P.S. I'm having social isolation problems.

I'm sorry you're having social isolation problems, Pieplup :( . I really enjoy reading your posts :D .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:21 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
The psychologist who diagnosed me with "High Functioning Autism" made it very clear to me that he didn't think Asperger's should have been lumped in with Autism, and throughout the diagnosis consistently referred to it as Asperger's.

What "label" do you personally prefer?

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:30 pm

Asperger's is still in the ICD-10, which is sometimes used in the United States.

It is no longer in the DSM-V. It is now "Autism Spectrum Disorder" (usually) Level One.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:33 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

How is it?

I'm sorry you're having social isolation problems, Pieplup :( . I really enjoy reading your posts :D .

thx :P

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

Pieplup wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

How is it?

Have you played Pokemon: Moon yet? I'm playing through it right now :D .

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:44 pm

My diagnosis from 2008, says "Asperger's Disorder," though I consider myself strictly autistic - and, in fact, I believe had the Psychologist who DX'd me spoken to my mother at any length as a part of the process, I'm pretty sure that's how he would have classified me, as I did have a significant speech delay in infancy, etc.

In any case, IMO the differences are so negligible as to be insignificant, which is why DSM-V rolls them together.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:45 pm

StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

How is it?

I almost have my Pokedex completed I only need like 12 more Pokemon. Only 1 of which is a trade evolution. :D

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm

Pieplup wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
StampySquiddyFan wrote:
Pieplup wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

How is it?

I almost have my Pokedex completed I only need like 12 more Pokemon. Only 1 of which is a trade evolution. :D

Awesome! Did you manage to catch an Abra yet? :D

Earthbound_Alien
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2017, 8:50 pm

I pulled out of formal diagnosis partly for this reason as just being labelled as having an ASD, to my mind, can be somewhat misleading.

The other reason was because I was being treated as though I was intellectually backwards by people I told about the referral. I have difficulty with social communication, Im not intellectually impaired and neither are several aspie friends I regularly talk to. Ergo the assumptions made about me based on the label alone were just outright insulting. It even got to the point where a then contact asked me if I knew how to run a bath when I was visiting their house for the weekend. The answer to that would be yes.

In the end, in my case, I felt I was better off without the label.

Id rather just embrace my difference and be happy with being seen as a bit odd and quirky.