2d/4d Digit Ratio: Aspergers and Androgyny

Page 3 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

2d/4d Digit Ratio as a Measure of Androgyny and Asperger's (please see post on how to measure 2d/4d digit ratio, right hand)
I identify as biologically male/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of greater than .99 on my right hand 14%  14%  [ 8 ]
I identify as biologically male/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than or equal to .99 on my right hand 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
I identify as biologically male/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .98 on my right hand 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
I identify as biologically male/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .97 on my right hand 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I identify as biologically male/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .96 on my right hand 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I identify as biologically male/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .95 on my right hand 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I identify as biologically male/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .94 on my right hand 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
I identify as biologically female/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of greater than .99 on my right hand 12%  12%  [ 7 ]
I identify as biologically female/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than or equal to .99 on my right hand 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I identify as biologically female/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .98 on my right hand 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I identify as biologically female/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .97 on my right hand 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
I identify as biologically female/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .96 on my right hand 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I identify as biologically female/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .95 on my right hand 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
I identify as biologically female/Asperger's with a 2d/4d digit ratio of less than .94 on my right hand 19%  19%  [ 11 ]
Other, please comment, and thanks for participating:) 10%  10%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 59

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 4:43 pm

whirlingmind wrote:
I don't know if you amended (if it's possible) my poll response, but if you didn't, that means that females with a very high ratio like myself are above 8%, perhaps around 10% (I haven't made any attempt to calculate and maths isn't my forte).

So that would mean that so far, there are approximately 50% of females with very high ratio compared to those with low ratio.

No, I wasn't able to amend but find that extremely interesting. I went to the time and effort to review the cited source material and edit the Wiki article on what traits were associated with what ratios, and there were some counter intuitive findings, such as gay males with low digit ratio preferring "feminine" erotic sex role preferences. Those researchers were definitely expecting the opposite result. And, it is interesting the range here of female responses, as they are on the ends for the most part instead of the middle of the "bell curve". But, if one were take the averages one might come up with similar results of the topic study, with females actually scoring a slightly higher ratio than what might be seen in a control group.

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2012, 4:45 pm

Surfman wrote:
aghogday wrote:

The environment can play a big role in the increase of testosterone during the course of adulthood, as well as a decrease. There have been some suggestions in studies that chemicals in the environment are influencing prenatal testosterone and adult testosterone, differently in males and females.

Thanks Aghogday for another interesting scientific thread.

I've been seeing a certain low haired genotype amongst some people round here. Often with Scandinavian heritage

Polynesians often display low body hair but high muscular and skeletal development, as well as the ratio, and even androgeny

Mahu or fafa ene when a son is raised a daughter, is fairly common throughout the south pacific. Our red light areas have these huge polynesian lady boys!

Personally, i have experienced fluctuating levels of body hair, and their thickness and darkness, yet I am barrel chested and well muscled naturally.

Sperm count is another area. From my understanding, testosterone inhibits sperm, so higher counts are seen amongst gentle androgynous guys than bald virile hairy chested ape men

I have been to sperm donor meetings and donors have an inner spark to accompany their higher than normal sperm counts, but testosterone wise they appeared average.

From my experience of support groups, and viewing avatar photos of this website, I would hazard a guess that testosterone does in fact play a part in ASD's.... autisms vary, I have met some hairy aspies, true

but not all autisms are the same, which is a kicker here

Recently, I have become aware of the how cannabis can lower male testosterone. But only significantly with chronic use and individuals with existing hormonal issues

I'm starting to see the effective treating of ASD's from a hormonal analysis approach, with potentially natural choices

The remedy is to abandon modern devices for environs free of electronics, plastics, processed foods, pesticides or city water supplies

Heading for the hills to repair hormonal and endocrine imbalances may pay the best dividend
but requires a high level of commitment

Imagine living in a log cabin, no electrickery or putas, drinking mountain water, eating wild foods
Everyday

So much estrogen in the water nowadays. All the waterfowl are having large gaggles.... and many females, that ratio will continue, which is at least good news for aspie guys :wink:

Thanks, I do find all of this very interesting, too.

greentigress
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2013, 8:23 am

I might be being thick but I'm confused
Aspie female .995
So what does that mean?

aspieMD
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Aug 2013, 10:40 am

Aspie female with very strong androgynous traits. I have lots of body hair, including some embarrassing chest hair I have to wax off every so often =_=

My ring finger is way longer than my index finger.

I wonder what causes increased prenatal exposure to testosterone. The aspie gene is definitely on my mother's side, with tons of autistics and aspies on her dad's side of the family (plus her brother). Since it was my grandfather's side it can't exactly be the mother's entirely.

Could we as fetuses have just produced lots of whatever tropic hormone stimulates our mother's adrenal glands to produce testosterone? (forgot which one, uh oh!)

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 2:32 am

greentigress wrote:
I might be being thick but I'm confused
Aspie female .995
So what does that mean?

Hi, it just means that you fall outside the expected bell curve. You have a normal digit ratio for a female. Autism is for the most part diagnosed entirely on behavior...there are absolutely no medical requirements for a diagnosis.

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 2:34 am

aspieMD wrote:
Aspie female with very strong androgynous traits. I have lots of body hair, including some embarrassing chest hair I have to wax off every so often =_=

My ring finger is way longer than my index finger.

I wonder what causes increased prenatal exposure to testosterone. The aspie gene is definitely on my mother's side, with tons of autistics and aspies on her dad's side of the family (plus her brother). Since it was my grandfather's side it can't exactly be the mother's entirely.

Could we as fetuses have just produced lots of whatever tropic hormone stimulates our mother's adrenal glands to produce testosterone? (forgot which one, uh oh!)

There are several theories as to what might cause increased prenatal testosterone. The current highest accepted theory is prenatal stress. The best example would likely be an abusive husband...

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:52 am

1 on my right hand, (Iam right handed).
0.975 on my left
Male

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:13 pm

Nambo wrote:
0.975 on my left
Male

One interesting note is that I have seen at least one study that shows that men who are athletes are more likely to have a lower digit ratio on the left and....and interestingly women of Lesbian orientation often have a lower digit ratio on the left hand too.. My wife is extremely feminine in outward appearance but never the less she has a .93 ratio on her left hand and a relatively high ratio on her right hand....98

She has the Temper of a Tiger... If she was a larger creature i might not be alive... I'm sure she wouldn't kill me on purpose but if she had my muscular strength and her Tiger spirit... she would be in effect... a holy terror!

My digit ratio is .93 on the right hand and .96 on the left hand...I am strong but a p**** cat too... no tiger here....haha!

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2013, 3:37 pm

aghogday wrote:
Nambo wrote:
0.975 on my left
Male

One interesting note is that I have seen at least one study that shows that men who are athletes are more likely to have a lower digit ratio on the left

I did used to be a cycle racer, to National Championship level.