Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 3:19 pm

I've never really had much of an appitite for food. When I'm not hungry, it's as if my throat closes up and renders me incapable of sallowing. If I force myself to try and eat something I usualy end up either choking or vomiting it back up. As a little kid, hunger was a sensation I rarely expirenced. Thirst however was/is something entirely diffrent. I was constantaly thirsty and no matter how much I drank, I could never feel "unthirsty". I would often make myself sick because my stomach was so full of water and couldn't hold anymore and when I tried to drink more, I would throw up...but I was STILL thiristy.

I was never allowed to leave the classroom to drink from the fountian and even when there was a fountian in the classroom, the teacher wouldn't let us have unlimited acess to it and we were supposed to ask if we could and the answer was usualy no. One time I was so thirsty I couldn't take it anymore and got a drink anyway. The teacher was SO mad. She claimed that I had no right to do that because the others didn't, but they could have if they wanted too. They weren't tied up or anything and there was nothing physicaly stopping them. Being able to get a drink of water when thiristy is a basic human right anyway.

If I brought a water bottle to school I would drink it all up very quickly and wasn't allowed to refill it. Some teachers even tried to take it away from me. I was told I drank too much and "gulped" when I should have "sipped". I couldn't help it, I litteraly felt like I was dying from thirst and desperate to feel "unthirsty". I remember being tempted to drink from puddles on the playground when the teachers wouldn't let me go back in the school for a drink.

I naturaly was having to use the restroom more than the averege kid and my requests to leave class and go to the restroom were denied more than accepted. I had frequent urinary tract infections and actualy wet myself in first or second grade. Even as late as the forth grade, the other kids would never let me forget it. I wet the bed until I was fourteen and even though I think intense emotional stress played a big part, I wonder if having to "hold it" all day also played a role.

I was tested for diabetes at least umteen times but the tests would always come back negative.

I'm an adult now and can have acess to water or whatever kind of drink I want whenever I want it. I also can use the restroom whenever I need to and don't even have to ask. The restroom issue isn't really an issue anymore but if I can't get acess to water or something to drink in time, I start to panic. I have to have a waterbottle with me AT ALL TIMES. Is this something common with autism?

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 3:22 pm

Sounds like diabetes or diabetes insipidus.

See a gp.

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2012, 3:38 pm

I wouldn't say it sound autistic, but more like OCD. I'm aspie and i have quite the opposite. I have a hard time getting remembering to get fluid. I don't drink much because I rarely feel any sort of thirst.

Without love and disarming beauty
- Tuomas Holopainen, Nightwish

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 3:41 pm

Dry mouth is a side effect of some medications.

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2012, 3:45 pm

I don't take any medications, and I have always had it this way since I was a child :)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:02 pm

yondoloki wrote:
I don't take any medications, and I have always had it this way since I was a child :)

Me too!

yondoloki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2012, 4:04 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
yondoloki wrote:

Me too!

just opposite xD

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 4:07 pm

yondoloki wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
yondoloki wrote:

Me too!

just opposite xD

I meant I've had this ever since I was a child, way before I was taking medications.

bumble wrote:
Sounds like diabetes or diabetes insipidus.

See a gp.

I said in my original post that I had been tested for diabetes multiple times and they always came back negative. If any kind of test involves a urinary cathader, I will refuse. I had one put in after my hystorectomy and it was the most painful expirence of my life. I'd rather die than go through that again.

MeerkatFetish
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 May 2012, 4:11 pm

Off Topic: Just dropping by to say that I simply adore your username :roll:

Pyrite
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:36 pm

I'm a little like this. But partly it's because I sometimes would focus on something and not drink anything for hours at a time.

aspie_giraffe
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 May 2012, 5:46 pm

Sounds like diabetes insipidus, as you've been tested for diabetes mellitus, diabetes insipidus is a lack of anti diuretic hormone causing you to pass lots of urine and be very thirsty, you can't concentrate you urine and thus pass too much having to constantly refill your blood volume

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 5:52 pm

I'm with AspieGiraffe and Bumble - I think you should make sure that this isn't a physical problem first.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

14 May 2012, 6:37 pm

I am always thirsty. ALWAYS. I especially drink lots of water when it's really hot, because then I get really hot.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2012, 7:25 pm

I think you should have a full work up by a GP and a gastroenterologist, and and perhaps someone who handles glands, and maybe have your thyroid checked, for both the thirst, and the desire to throw up when eating, or not eat. One possibility for the thirst that occurred to me is that perhaps you take in too much salt? As for your problem with food, you may have GERD, or some other stomach, throat, or esophageal problem. Do have a thorough check up for these problems, though.

I don't have your food problem, except for acid stomach and acid reflux, but I do tend to be thirsty, and always have, although not as bad as you. My earliest memories are of standing at the railing of my crib, dressed in those one piece outfits with feet on them, in the middle of the night. I would be swaying back and forth chanting "Mommy, Daddy, I want wawa." According to my memories, this happened often. I also had a continence problem, partly from stress, and partly from having taken in too much water, and not gotten to the bathroom in time. There have been phases of my life when I carried a water bottle around, but not lately. I now live alone, and can get food, water, and use the bathroom whenever I want at home. This is important to me as I also have IBS. I did have one terrible time when I lived with two other relatives in a one bathroom house. 8O It was horrible.

I have greatly reduced my acid stomach/reflex problem by almost eliminating greasy foods from my menu, and by reducing stress. Living with relatives was very stressful, as were my financial problems. I now live alone, and am on disability, which pays my bills, so my stress has gone down.

My current incontinence problems are caused partly by getting too engrossed in whatever I am doing, by my being over weight (it puts pressure on the bladder), and sometimes by coughing or sneezing at the wrong time. I have to try harder to not get so lost in what I am doing, that I don't get to the bathroom on time. I can't do much about the other causes.

I was doing a search, and one possible cause of excessive thirst can be a zinc deficiency. You could try slightly increasing your zinc level to see if that helps, as it is supposed to help the body hold onto water better, and thus reduce thirst. However, only add a little to your diet. Although small amounts of zinc are necessary to us, too much zinc is toxic. Another site had more info, including more causes. It is:

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/excessive-thirst.html

Do some I-net searches of your own for excessive thirst plus no apatite. Please do get yourself checked out, as this does sound like it needs looking into.

Good luck. :D

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:27 am

yondoloki wrote:
I wouldn't say it sound autistic, but more like OCD. I'm aspie and i have quite the opposite. I have a hard time getting remembering to get fluid. I don't drink much because I rarely feel any sort of thirst.

Yeah, this describes me as well. I don't drink nearly as much as I should, but I rarely feel thirsty.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 1:54 am

In only feel thirsty when its hot out or when I have been working or working out or ate something.