Illnesses and Injuries and Why I'm Lost

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 5:41 pm

I have a had a very bad month. Three weeks ago I had a kidney stone for the first time (very painful and distressing). Then right after that, I started to suffer from nerve pain in my right foot, which I am going to have to see a doctor for, because it's EXTREMELY painful. Then a few days after THAT started, I came down with the flu (Just getting over that.).

Now, here is the actual bigger problem: This has all served to make me recall just how much I'm really no different than I was when I was a little boy when it comes to knowing when something is seriously wrong with me! I never know if I need to go to a hospital or if I need to buy medication or so on. When something is potentially critical, someone else always needs to tell me "Dude, you need to call an ambulance!" I'll get, like, a six-inch gash in my arm and I'll try to fix it myself, but when something very common or minor is wrong with me, I often think I'm going to die and I panic.

I can't think of any solution to this, I am just more or less venting as it's just another reason why I should not live completely independently. This confusion about illness and injury severily is pretty common among those I know who are deeper in the spectrum, but it just frustrates me so much! I'm sure there are a few people here who can relate to this.

P.S. I'm pretty darned good at judging these things about other people! :?

Thanks.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2013, 8:06 pm

Sensory issues, small things like needles can feel like death, some large things can feel like nothing or not that bad, we often don't feel things right.

if you don't like doctors, hosptials or having to bother to call/deal with them your likely to down play the issue to make it go away. I'll likely die one day becouse of the discription above, i've never willingly gone to a hospital or doctor, I give it a few days that turns into weeks until the alement goes away on its own or mom notices and makes an apointment.

windtreeman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Feb 2013, 1:10 am

Seriously! I've gotten a brief, bloody nose and thought 'AH, internal bleeding and now I'm going to die!' and then I've gotten a massive third degree burn on my leg which took nearly half a year to heal without even considering it was something I should have checked out.

dyingofpoetry
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 8:28 am

Quote:
I'll likely die one day becouse of the discription above, i've never willingly gone to a hospital or doctor, I give it a few days that turns into weeks until the alement goes away on its own or mom notices and makes an apointment.

Yeah, that! (Except that I don't have mom at home)

Quote:
Seriously! I've gotten a brief, bloody nose and thought 'AH, internal bleeding and now I'm going to die!' and then I've gotten a massive third degree burn on my leg which took nearly half a year to heal without even considering it was something I should have checked out.

And that! Thanks!

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2013, 9:13 am

If you can get a hold of one of those free nurse hotlines, then that can be a huge help. You can list the issue to an objective third party who had the knowledge to point you in the direction you need to go. Much more reliable than WebMD, where the symptoms can give such a wide variance. (Is it a common cold, or is it cancer? :mrgreen: )