Nailed it. Short video on sensory overload, worth watching.

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

17 Nov 2012, 8:03 pm

Linky

Hats off to the creator.

Seems only fair I post this too.
*******************************************************************************************************************
FULL CREDITS LIST:

Director and Animator:
Miguel Jiron

Produced and Developed by:
Scott Mahoy, Creative Director of Interacting with Autism

Produced for Interacting with Autism
For more information visit:
interactingwithautism.com

Scenario:
Marsha Kinder

Sound:
Katie Gately

Line Producer:
Ioana Uricaru

Cinematographer:
Alejandro Martinez

Paint Animation:
Laura Cechanowicz

Boy:
Cody Sullivan

Waitress:
Alexandra Boylan

Gaffer:
Katie Walker

Special Thanks:
Mark Jonathan Harris, Shelbi Jay Kepler, Mike Patterson, Candace Reckinger, Kathy Smith
t For more work, check out my website mibaji.com

You are very likely an Aspie

Last edited by BrokenBill on 18 Nov 2012, 8:14 am, edited 5 times in total.

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2012, 8:12 pm

WAIT A MINUTE

This isn't what the world sounds like to everyone? I mean, I knew I responded differently to sensory input and that not everyone can see the lights flashing, but can people seriously not hear all this crazy stuff? Where does the sound go?

I am going to show this to everyone!

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2012, 3:55 am

I find it hard to believe that NTs don't experience the World like this also.... I wish there was a way we could learn what it is like for THEM!
Obviously they don't experience the same as us as they don't seem to get so affected by this stuff as us... But yet, I do wonder what it must be like instead... Just quieter? Although it would be a lot less stressful, it must also make life a lot more.... "plain" for them too ?

Entek
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Nov 2012, 8:10 am

Excellent - bookmarked and sent to everyone i know with access to a computer. Comon guys, watch it stop trying to get me to do Xmas shopping a week before Christmas!

FMX
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 8:41 am

I think I'm mostly NT as far as sensory processing goes, so I'll try to answer this. (Well, flickering fluorescent lights do annoy me a bit, but I don't think that's an AS thing - I'm sure they would annoy anyone.)

Yes, I guess it is more "plain". The sounds don't grab my attention as much as in this video. Maybe I won't consciously notice them at all or maybe I will, but they would be easy to ignore. It's kind of like the difference between hearing a sudden, loud sound that you can't help paying attention to and hearing a quite, common sound that you ignore. Not that NTs are deaf - they recognise loud sounds as loud, of course, but they can still ignore them if they're not relevant. They just don't focus on every single sensory input - only ones that are subconsciously determined to be relevant.

47x
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Nov 2012, 10:44 am

This is excellent! Thank you :)

kotshka
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 11:25 am

Wow. Fantastic. Thanks for sharing this.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 12:19 pm

It's a bit more jumbled for me than was portrayed in the animation. I've learned with time to allow my mind to wander into other places at will (it normally does it anyway at random, but I can make it do it now as well), allowing me to defocus the noise around me.

Most people (normal people) can tune out all of the noise, whereas I (or possibly most wth ASD's) can't.
I addressed this in my documentary as well, although it was just mentioned mostly that I struggle with the many distractions around me.

EstherJ
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 12:38 pm

Woah.

It's a good portrayal.

I think it's useful if people want to know what
we go through.

Sanctus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 1:03 pm

I think it's a good video to show to NTs. However, the problem is that it mostly focuses on one specific, annyoing noise at the time. The problem for me is more when a lot of noise comes together.

ravenloft68
Raven
Raven

18 Nov 2012, 1:31 pm

Awsome video!
I will also jump slightly if someone startles me from behind either jokingly or unintentional. Also, if someone puts thier hand on my shoulder and I don't see/hear them, I'll flinch pretty noticeably. They will say- "Are you okay?"

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 2:08 pm

diniesaur wrote:
WAIT A MINUTE

This isn't what the world sounds like to everyone? I mean, I knew I responded differently to sensory input and that not everyone can see the lights flashing, but can people seriously not hear all this crazy stuff? Where does the sound go?

yeah I just assumed everyone heard stuff like that

shyengineer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Nov 2012, 2:13 pm

Great video. It's just one representation but it gets the message across well. I showed my girlfriend and she said, "oh, wow. Now I get it."

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2012, 3:59 pm

chris5000 wrote:
diniesaur wrote:
WAIT A MINUTE

yeah I just assumed everyone heard stuff like that

Yeah ,that's what I thought too.....

Filipendula
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2012, 4:14 pm

I think I can pretty much respond as an NT here too. I have no sensory issues worth mentioning, certainly sights and sounds rarely ever bother me more than they would anybody (except that I can tend to jump at sudden/loud noises, but I think that's hypervigilance rather than hypersensitivity).

There are two factors to this in my mind. One is whether you're aware of all the lights, noises etc. and the other is the extent to which you focus on or react to them.

I'm not normally overly aware of noises. I live below the Heathrow flight path and I can hear a plane going over right now (and about once every minute), but if I'm busy doing something else I can easily fail to notice it 100% consciously. However this video is a good way of showing me what it is to be aware of all those noises at the same time. When I watch it it sends cold nasty shivers down my spine and something I call a "wave of depression" begins to come over me which has the potential to make me cry out of the blue if it continues long enough. This is something I would usually only experience in response to emotional rather than sensory overload.

Basically I think I look and listen like an NT, but I react more like an aspie so I can kind of see it from both sides.

RDOS Aspie score: 115/200; NT score: 79/200

analyser23
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2012, 5:02 pm

Sanctus wrote:
I think it's a good video to show to NTs. However, the problem is that it mostly focuses on one specific, annyoing noise at the time. The problem for me is more when a lot of noise comes together.

Yes I did find this also. Watching this after spending 4 nights at my work place (Aspie torture!! A nightclub! (no other option to pay bills at this point)) where I frequently go into shutdown mode because of all the constant noise, the temperature, the talking, the people, the flashing lights, the constant movement, and trying to talk with people I don't want to talk with -> this animation was quite tame compared with that!! !! Or even just in a waiting room filled with other parents and loud children yelling and running and bumping and smelling. My whole head explodes. It isn't just one noise at a time that is annoying, it is a massive influx of all SORTS of sensory things hitting your brain at maximum volume at the same time and then staying in there.

Thanks to the more-NT-likes for giving their perceptions, that was helpful.