Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2013, 2:41 am

So I know there are a bunch of people on this forum who own guns and are fairly passonate about them so I was wondering if any of you guys had any problems with guns on the sensory level.I want to start collecting old military rifles and shooting them but I dont want to buy a bunch of ammo only to find that 7.62X54r ammo is too loud to shoot or that the smell of black powder is too strong for me to handle.
I've probably learned a much about firearms as one can without owning one.I'm just looking for some advice.I live in Maryland and have no police record so unless I want a Kalashnikov or a Glock my biggest problem is figuring out what to buy and how much....'Merica 8)

Sheerboredom
Toucan
Toucan

24 Jun 2013, 2:47 am

It's loud at first, kinda of like the sound of a firecracker going off with 7.62. I have never had a problem with the smell of gunpowder but I do notice it on people from two or three feet usually. Hope this helps. Also I hope you have shot a 7.62 caliber rifle before it kicks like h*** if you have a full auto.

You are very likely neurotypical
INTJ

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 3:35 am

Can you go to 'try out days' at your local range?

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 3:41 am

.22 is a good caliber to start with

its not very loud and has low recoil its also cheap

PM
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 6:25 am

The key for anyone sensitive to sound is earmuffs+earplugs. Try to find a pair of both with a high dB reduction rating because, for example, a .308/7.62x51 NATO round is rated at 167 dB out of a standard 20" barrel rifle.

A .22LR or 9mm handgun is a good for a beginner.

If you are into 7.62x54R, get an M91/30 Mosin Nagant and a "spam can" of rounds, and you will be set.

Since you are in Maryland, be careful, the state is not very gun friendly.

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 10:13 am

I use earplugs and ear-covers that both have the highest decibel ratings I could find. I am not bothered by the smell, but I generally have a stuffy nose. I find heavier guns more comfortable to shoot at first and/or light caliber guns until you get used to the recoil.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 11:38 am

Me, I have a problem knowing how to stand up straight, proprioception. I had to be repeatedly corrected, discouraging me from shooting firearms.

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2013, 11:52 am

Thanks guys,I'll remember to invest in some good ear protection.I've already shot a 9mm XD and 45 caliber 1911.I'm a pretty big guy so unless the recoil is at an absurd level I should be fine.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 12:05 pm

Depends on what bothers you. Probably best to avoid an indoor range to begin with; industrial fans can be annoying (droooooone), as can the muzzle blast bouncing off the walls (it's a lot louder indoors).

Plugs under muffs (as mentioned) + being outdoors will make it seem quiet.

As for the mentioned cartridge: it'll be no louder than anything else of similar power and barrel length (a full length M91/30 Mosin will be quieter than the M44); 7.62x54R is a fairly run-of-the-mill rifle cartridge. With plugs + muffs, you won't notice the difference, really.

Don't take off the muffs and/or plugs to see what it "really" sounds like. Unless you enjoy ringing ears in the least (which may not ever stop).

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm

hblu1992 wrote:
I've already shot a 9mm XD and 45 caliber 1911.

Both of those would be louder than a M91/30 (probably not a M44 though, but it'd be similar), plus you'd smell the burnt powder more. Barrel length does this.

If you're fine with 9mm/.45, you'll be fine with anything.

Battle rifles have fairly sedate recoil (no more than 20 pounds or so). Sure, they may seem like a cannon if you compare it to a .223 or something, but that's not saying much. You start to feel it when you get to 40 pounds of recoil force (in a common firearm, that'd be full power slugs from a 12 gauge).

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 1:33 pm

hblu1992 wrote:
So I know there are a bunch of people on this forum who own guns and are fairly passonate about them so I was wondering if any of you guys had any problems with guns on the sensory level.I want to start collecting old military rifles and shooting them but I dont want to buy a bunch of ammo only to find that 7.62X54r ammo is too loud to shoot or that the smell of black powder is too strong for me to handle.
I've probably learned a much about firearms as one can without owning one.I'm just looking for some advice.I live in Maryland and have no police record so unless I want a Kalashnikov or a Glock my biggest problem is figuring out what to buy and how much....'Merica 8)

Myself, I’ve never had sensory issues with gun fire but, like others have said, you need to have decent hearing protection. I suggest eye protection, too, and most shooting ranges require both. An M91/30 Mosin Nagant would be a good inexpensive starter for an old military rifle and you can actually get ammo for it right now.

They use smokeless powder, not black powder, but just about all of the surplus ammo that I know of for 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser, .303 British, 7.62x25mm Tokarev and some others use corrosive priming that leaves a salt residue. For corrosive ammo you will need to swab the barrel from the muzzle down the bore to the bolt face with something like Windex to neutralize the corrosives then do a regular cleaning. If you don’t neutralize the corrosive elements you’ll have rust so you need to at least do that part of the cleaning the same day you shoot. Sometimes I do a quick swabbing at the range so I won’t forget

Ever since the Sandy Hook massacre there has been an ammo shortage. It is expected to let up late this summer from what I’ve heard but that is only speculation. Even .22 rimfire ammo is very hard to find and all ammo is more expensive because of the shortage. 7.62x54r is readily available, though.

The issue with an AK in Maryland is the high capacity magazines. It is illegal to buy or sell a mag in Maryland with a capacity over 20 rounds.
There are 20 rounders for an AK but not as common and probably a little more expensive.

"A person may not manufacture, sell, offer for sale, purchase, receive, or transfer a detachable magazine that has a capacity of more than 20 rounds of ammunition for a firearm. Md. Criminal Law Code 4-305(b). This section does not apply to a .22 caliber rifle with a tubular magazine. Section 4-305(a)."

hblu1992
Raven
Raven

24 Jun 2013, 5:13 pm

because the Maryland "assault weapons" ban kicks in on Oct 1st the wait to get a regulated(soon to be banned) firearm is about 60 to 100 days because the background checks are so backed up because people are buying so many guns.I could(and might) buy a stripped AK receiver but I would end up getting the the thing in December and I dont have the cash or skill to finish one.My cousin bought an AR-15 and the wait was 63 days. 8O

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 6:09 pm

hblu1992 wrote:
because the Maryland "assault weapons" ban kicks in on Oct 1st the wait to get a regulated(soon to be banned) firearm is about 60 to 100 days because the background checks are so backed up because people are buying so many guns.I could(and might) buy a stripped AK receiver but I would end up getting the the thing in December and I dont have the cash or skill to finish one.My cousin bought an AR-15 and the wait was 63 days. 8O

I've never built up an AK receiver so I don't know what all is all is involved but I imagine it's pretty easy. I have built a few AR-15's from stripped lowers and they are fairly easy and the instructions can be found at AR15.com. I assume the instructions to do the same for an AK can be found somewhere online. I'd definitely get a stripped receiver (either an AK or AR) anyway and figure out the details of the build later on. At least then you'll have something to build on that you won't be able to get after the law takes effect.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 6:14 pm

O, I'll add.

Milsurp collecting and shooting is fuunnnnnnnn.

I've only got a Terni M38 Carcano (6.5x52mm) at this time (had a SMLE No.1 MK3 .303 Brit back in the day. Never sell firearms, as you regret it every time).

I intend to add more.

CranialRectosis
Raven
Raven

25 Jun 2013, 1:34 pm

Interesting question.

I have been shooting competitively for 30 years. In practice, I intentionally create distractions that I must overcome.

The art of target shooting is synching your body with the firearm consistently to accomplish accuracy.

You have to control your thoughts, breathing, and heart rate or you will not be consistent or accurate. I run the lane when I place targets. This gets my heart rate and breathing way out of whack. I have to settle these before I can hit. I run the lane to force myself to practice this control. Another way I practice this is to shoot my VERY light 12oz trigger (.22 bolt action CZ) next to someone banging away with a semi-auto rifle (like a 30-06 M1 Garand). I have to squeeze my shot off during his pow, pow pows with his hot brass landing around me (wear a hat with a back brim so you don't get burnt). If I flinch, I miss.

Part of shooting is overcoming the fear of the loud sound and the recoil and training your mind to have the self discipline to ignore outside influences that don't matter so you can make the shot. It takes practice.

Start with a .22 and work up. ALWAYS wear ear and eye protection.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2013, 5:12 pm

ahhh!! !! you gotta love the smell of cordite in the morning:)