What job would you choose to have if you could pick any?

Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 7:04 pm

Lets say that we were in a society that didn't secretly discriminate people based off of their disability and that each individual was reviewed on their strengths and weaknesses rather than on their 'label' (as in they rightfully review the Aspie and don't automatically say that they're not cut out to do the job just because of the 'label' that a Psychologist or Psychiatrist gave them). As a person with ADHD, my choice would be to become a pilot (except for the fact that it recently became an automatic disqualifier for folks with ADHD) with my second choice being a sailor (I'm unable to get a boating license while I'm on medication). So what job would you choose (lets just pretend that there's no discrimination or automatic disqualifiers)?

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:07 pm

A published author and research psychologist. (Both of which are achievable dreams for me, yay!)

Or maybe a biologist doing field research on exotic felids.

okie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 7:11 pm

I'm majoring in social work, and I will complete my degree in May. So far, nobody is stopping me from being a social worker. I declared my major before my diagnosis. I may not have gone down this road if I knew earlier that I had a psychological issue that actually prevents me from functioning normally on a social level. It doesn't get more social than social work. After my degree, I'd like to join the army reserve, but I get conflicting information about whether or not Aspergers is or isn't an automatic disqualifier for military service.

Alfonso12345
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jan 2013, 7:11 pm

I would choose to be a web designer and a published author of fiction, preferably a horror or science fiction author.

stevenjacksonftw7
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 7:14 pm

okie wrote:
I'm majoring in social work, and I will complete my degree in May. So far, nobody is stopping me from being a social worker. I declared my major before my diagnosis. I may not have gone down this road if I knew earlier that I had a psychological issue that actually prevents me from functioning normally on a social level. It doesn't get more social than social work. After my degree, I'd like to join the army reserve, but I get conflicting information about whether or not Aspergers is or isn't an automatic disqualifier for military service.

It is an automatic disqualifier with no medical waiver according to the military website. However, I've seen folks with Asperger's Syndrome get recruited which makes no sense.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

the best job is no job- IOW, not having to have a job. i want that one.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:24 pm

I think I might like working in a pet store. I don't know about the stress factor, though. What I wouldn't like is some ridiculous boss always trying to remind me to ""sell! sell! sell! Move the products! Greet every customer and try to sell the stupid extended warranties. Arrgghh! I hate that.

kate123A
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:22 pm

a speech therapist.........I got into graduate school for it but they kicked me out b/c I'm autistic and they said there was no part of that job that I could do ever. I got them for discrimination and they had to refund me my tuition though :D

I might like to try doing tech support as I love helping people.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 8:25 pm

One of the potentially highest paid and most interesting would be as a comedy writer for a television sit-com such as Big Bang Theory.

Another would be a researcher in robotics, in particular in areas of either biologically inspired robotics or robotics applied to medicine. I was once working toward a doctorate with this in mind, but my committee chairman left. The chairman I ended up with had no interest in anything but one very narrow aspect of robotics. I was rather uninspired by that and ended up leaving with no doctorate.

Sylant
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 8:31 pm

I would love to be an astronomer, i'd literally pay to use one of the big budget telescopes so being paid to do so would be amazing.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 9:12 pm

I'd like to be the owner and manager and programmer of a radio station. :jester:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 9:16 pm

kate123A wrote:
a speech therapist.........I got into graduate school for it but they kicked me out b/c I'm autistic and they said there was no part of that job that I could do ever. I got them for discrimination and they had to refund me my tuition though :D

I might like to try doing tech support as I love helping people.

I'm sorry this happened to you, and they're as wrong as they can be. Of course a person on the spectrum can be a speech therapist, and once you learn the skills, a very good one. In fact, it plays to strength to be different.

Lockheart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jan 2013, 9:24 pm

Lots of authors! Me too. Preferably successful enough to live somewhere with no immediate neighbours.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 9:25 pm

Whale hunter

Konstans
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jan 2013, 9:26 pm

stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:
okie wrote:

It is an automatic disqualifier with no medical waiver according to the military website. However, I've seen folks with Asperger's Syndrome get recruited which makes no sense.

I've been in the airforce, no problems at all! I think a certain type of asperger persons is a perfect soldier. We like to be told and instructed what to do. When we are trained to do aspecial task, we stick to it and perform it correct every time. Of course there ismuch distraction and noice in a battlefield, but people with Asperger's also get the adrenaline rush, and belive me, thst makes you focus as a lazerbeam! If I was to take a guess, I would probably be one of the last ones in my platoon to leave my position in a crisis, if I was told to stay put.

I think the big problem in the army would be to get authority over others as I would hesitate to send other people into life threatening situations. I hate to come up with short, consise orders and would probably fail as an officer. But as a regular soldier obeying orders, I would be perfect.

okie

17 Jan 2013, 9:41 pm

stevenjacksonftw7 wrote:
okie wrote:

Got a link?