They want to abolish Aspergers diagnosis!

Page 2 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 3:40 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Dreycrux wrote:
dimfuture wrote:

Well that's a long time ago (June 2011 really?) he doesn't exactly give a reason why he is mad. Asperger's is getting a name change and slight revision of diagnostic criteria (See above), not stealing anyone's identity or services away. Get retested, adjust to the new system. Bingo.

Problem is many people don't have the resources to get an assessment in the 1st place. Hard for broke ass people to drop $1000 on a re-evaluation. If you get a free assessment while applying for government services you don't know whether you'll get a psychologist who will test you thoroughly or someone who sees you for 15 minutes, says there's nothing wrong with you, and waits for their check from the state.

You can see people all over WP who clearly have issues but can not afford a diagnosis.

Yes this, I edited my post because I realized some might have issues paying for it. Well hopefully that is not the case. I don't see any logic for people requiring to be tested a second time in order to keep receiving services.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:18 pm

I dont dismiss his reaction as just a "pure emotional knee jerk" one. He is far from alone.

Aspergers is NOT getting a name change its being dropped as a concept. Thats not a name change.

Finally it does influence diagnosis and service provision going forward, i already stated some figures.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:23 pm

Rascal77s wrote:
Dreycrux wrote:
dimfuture wrote:

Well that's a long time ago (June 2011 really?) he doesn't exactly give a reason why he is mad. Asperger's is getting a name change and slight revision of diagnostic criteria (See above), not stealing anyone's identity or services away. Get retested, adjust to the new system. Bingo.

Problem is many people don't have the resources to get an assessment in the 1st place. Hard for broke ass people to drop $1000 on a re-evaluation. If you get a free assessment while applying for government services you don't know whether you'll get a psychologist who will test you thoroughly or someone who sees you for 15 minutes, says there's nothing wrong with you, and waits for their check from the state.

You can see people all over WP who clearly have issues but can not afford a diagnosis.

I don't see how the new criteria either helps or hinders that.

If you couldn't afford a diagnosis then, you still won't be able to afford one now. That's not the DSM-Vs fault.

As for people not qualifying for ASD, if you don't have it, you don't have it. If you don't have routines or repetitive behaviors, you probably shouldn't have been DXed with Aspergers in the first place.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:34 pm

but they did have it six months ago?

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:43 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:
Dreycrux wrote:
dimfuture wrote:

I don't see how the new criteria either helps or hinders that.

If you couldn't afford a diagnosis then, you still won't be able to afford one now. That's not the DSM-Vs fault.

As for people not qualifying for ASD, if you don't have it, you don't have it.

The fact that people are forced to pay for an assessment out of pocket is a serious problem in and of itself.

It's the DSM's fault that people with an assessment are forced to get re-assessed for the purpose of receiving services. When people get assessments with a psychologist that works exclusively on SSA contracts the contractor has an incentive to be biased against the person being assessed. They are called independent but they are paid by SSA, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. I'm not saying they are all like this or even a majority of them, but you can find posts on WP about the 15 minute evaluations. I don't want to spend an hour writing about this but I assure you I have seen it personally. You don't need to have an absence of repetitive behavior, you just need some as*hole to decide subjectively that you are slightly below the threshold of severity.

The system is rigged to benefit lawyers, psychologists, and $50,000/year data entry clerks that work for the government, not the people who need help.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:49 pm

I believe this is a systemic issue with the APA. It lowers the diagnostic bar for many of the most "drug friendly" diags and will keep many quacks in work.

For the group (the APA) and its nearest and dearest, this change is expedient.

For the individual making their way in the world - this is a disgrace.

Ignore the APA and DSM5

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 6:55 pm

Rascal77s wrote:

The fact that people are forced to pay for an assessment out of pocket is a serious problem in and of itself.

It's the DSM's fault that people with an assessment are forced to get re-assessed for the purpose of receiving services.

And, so far, I've seen no indication that people are going to have to get re-assessed.

All the sources I've read indicate that everyone with an existing Aspergers diagnosis is going to get automatically rolled into "Autism Spectrum Disorder."

Quote:
When people get assessments with a psychologist that works exclusively on SSA contracts the contractor has an incentive to be biased against the person being assessed. They are called independent but they are paid by SSA, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. I'm not saying they are all like this or even a majority of them, but you can find posts on WP about the 15 minute evaluations. I don't want to spend an hour writing about this but I assure you I have seen it personally. You don't need to have an absence of repetitive behavior, you just need some as*hole to decide subjectively that you are slightly below the threshold of severity.

......which is a problem with SSA, not the DSM-V criteria.

And keeping the Aspergers diagnosis in the DSM-V wouldn't fix that particular problem anyway.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

Last edited by XFilesGeek on 20 Jan 2013, 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GhostsInTheWallpaper
Toucan
Toucan

20 Jan 2013, 6:57 pm

I doubt the concept of Asperger's is ever going to disappear completely, because it's too deeply embedded in the popular culture. We still sometimes throw around terms like "ADD" and "manic depression" even though since the DSM IV they've no longer been the official diagnostic terms for their respective conditions (which are now called ADHD and bipolar disorder). The term Asperger's might still be used informally to refer to high-functioning ASD without speech problems, in much the way that "Kanner's" is used informally to refer to ASD with persistent speech problems, even though the latter has never been an official diagnostic term.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:11 pm

no it certainly isnt.

There was a petition of psychologists DSM5.

I think it got 13,000 signs.

A more general one of the public I have not seen.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:17 pm

Good argument well made :roll:

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:19 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
Good argument well made :roll:

First, he has to explain why he doesn't think it's "changing the diagnosis" in order for me to respond to it with any depth.

I operate strictly on the GIGO principle.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

what on earth is that?

In fact I dont care.

There is so little value in the "debate" in such a style. I would refuse point blank to deal with it.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:25 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Rascal77s wrote:

It's the DSM's fault that people with an assessment are forced to get re-assessed for the purpose of receiving services.

And, so far, I've seen no indication that people are going to have to get re-assessed.

All the sources I've read indicate that everyone with an existed Aspergers diagnosis is going to get automatically rolled into "Autism Spectrum Disorder."

Quote:
When people get assessments with a psychologist that works exclusively on SSA contracts the contractor has an incentive to be biased against the person being assessed. They are called independent but they are paid by SSA, you don't bite the hand that feeds you. I'm not saying they are all like this or even a majority of them, but you can find posts on WP about the 15 minute evaluations. I don't want to spend an hour writing about this but I assure you I have seen it personally. You don't need to have an absence of repetitive behavior, you just need some as*hole to decide subjectively that you are slightly below the threshold of severity.

......which is a problem with SSA, not the DSM-V criteria.

And keeping the Aspergers diagnosis in the DSM-V wouldn't fix that particular problem anyway.

The problem is that the SSA makes decisions based on the DSM.

Next re-assessment can push people completely out of ASD, that is the problem. Can you tell me what kind of help people who are re-assessed as SCD will be getting? Or what infrastructure public schools have implemented to help students diagnosed SCD come May 2013? None.

For the DSM 6 the committee will be bowing for stopping the autism epidemic while frantically scrambling to fix the growing SCD epidemic.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:31 pm

Rascal77s wrote:

The problem is that the SSA makes decisions based on the DSM.

....which is a problem with the SSA and how they interpret the DSM, not the DSM itself.

The fact that the SSA employs jerks is not something that would be ameliorated by keeping Aspergers as a diagnosis.

Quote:
Next re-assessment can push people completely out of ASD, that is the problem.

Will the SSA be requiring people currently DXed as "Aspergers" to get re-assessed?

And if they don't actually meet the criteria, I don't see them getting booted as a problem.

Quote:
Can you tell me what kind of help people who are re-assessed as SCD will be getting? Or what infrastructure public schools have implemented to help students diagnosed SCD come May 2013? None.

Honestly, what help is currently available for "Aspergers Disorder," especially for those over 18?

Last edited by XFilesGeek on 20 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:38 pm

answeraspergers wrote:
what on earth is that?

In fact I dont care.

There is so little value in the "debate" in such a style. I would refuse point blank to deal with it.

So......there's no value in making coherent arguments and then supporting them with actual sources?

And I'm still waiting for an explanation as to how the new DSM-V isn't "changing the diagnosis," but I somehow doubt I'll be getting one.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2013, 7:40 pm

Yeesss, kiilllll it.

Less people using the terms "aspie" and "aspergian" the better.