They want to abolish Aspergers diagnosis!

Page 4 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 4:35 am

answeraspergers wrote:
how come everyone expects others to post in a manner that they do not?

I'm not "down with" the changes.

Because your arguments make no sense and you wont clearly explain why you do not agree with the changes.

Do you need more reassurance? I thought enough was given already.

- People reassuring that everyone gets in
- People reassuring that it is simply a change in diagnosis
- People reassuring that you wont need to be reassessed to continue receiving support

Last edited by Dreycrux on 21 Jan 2013, 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 4:47 am

Just because you dont understand something does not mean that it does not make sense.

I do not require reassuring of things that are not true no

You need insight and awareness to make assumptions like that:

A.) No
B.) No
C.) No
D.) No
E.) No

You dont have much of either.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 4:50 am

Why are people on here so lazy they cant answer their own questions with a simple 2 minute look around google.

The figures range from 10% -75% depending on source.

You look if you want to know.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 4:57 am

answeraspergers wrote:
Why are people on here so lazy they cant answer their own questions with a simple 2 minute look around google.

The figures range from 10% -75% depending on source.

You look if you want to know.

Because it takes 2 minutes to look things up and 2 hours to find any information that's worth a s**t.

Dreycrux
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 5:16 am

answeraspergers wrote:
Just because you dont understand something does not mean that it does not make sense.

I do not require reassuring of things that are not true no

You need insight and awareness to make assumptions like that:

A.) No
B.) No
C.) No
D.) No
E.) No

You dont have much of either.

I do agree I might have listed that unfairly so I removed them from my post, that's not really like me. Anyways you still need to explain why you have a problem with it.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 5:28 am

In a nutshell - its not based on neuroscience.

Its based on a biased panel acting unethically and ignorantly.

Ignore DSM and its stupid changes.

Grief is normal
A tantrum is not an illness
and Aspergers still exits

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jan 2013, 5:48 am

Such statements probably could use more support. The committee did include research that was used to decide on the diagnosis merge, which included neuroscience.

The claim that the panel was biased, acting unethically, and acting ignorantly is an assumption. It certainly needs more than a bald statement. You are of course welcome to your own opinion, but this does not mean such opinions are actually facts.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 5:57 am

The committee was closed door - itself an outrageous decision

Not an assumption.

many have proven conflicts of interest (fact) and DSM5 is fast becoming discredited (opinion).

I will support my statements and make a full argument if I'm in a position to influence the outcome - otherwise I'm not seeing the point

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

21 Jan 2013, 6:07 am

answeraspergers wrote:

Not an assumption.

This doesn't demonstrate ignorance or lack of ethics, however. It is disagreeable, but hardly evidence of true calumny.

Quote:
many have proven conflicts of interest (fact) and DSM5 is fast becoming discredited (opinion).

If this is a fact it should not be difficult to point out who and how.

Quote:
I will support my statements and make a full argument if I'm in a position to influence the outcome - otherwise I'm not seeing the point

So far I have seen many aspies complain about this essentially because they hate the idea of being called "autistic." Right now, I don't see any pressing reason to view your arguments as any different from theirs due to the fact that your arguments that it is bad largely center on how the committee is apparently full of terrible people.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 6:17 am

You are claiming transparency and expressing a view on the workings behind a CLOSED DOOR process.

Everyone on this board is so self-insistent and self-important its unreal. I refuse to do things for people they can do themselves with a tiny bit of effort

No my argument is not based entirely on the corruption of the panel - its based on real world concerns

Im sorry but my motivation with this spiteful ignorant bitter self-hating board is not at a high right now

"Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it’s victorious."

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 8:22 am

Well and then we all have ASD.
Who cares?
It's just a name for a lable, nothing more.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 9:50 am

Quote:
I'm honestly baffled as to why they're doing this. If you go to any spectrum group, it's obvious who has AS and who has ASD. They really are not the same thing.

On what basis do you say this?

Everyone who thinks AS and autism are different tends to point to different characteristics. One person bases it on clumsiness, another on language delay, another on active-but-odd versus aloof/passive... Problem is, those criteria don't line up. You can be clumsy, active-but-odd and have had a language delay, or be aloof and clumsy with no language delay, or agile and active-but-odd with no language delay - all of those people get called AS by some people and autistic by others.

Quote:
Grief is normal

Who cares if it's normal? If it causes impairment, people should get help for it, whether or not it is normal. Don't you think NTs should get help when they need it? PTSD has always been the same way - the majority of rape victims meet PTSD criteria, not just the 'atypical' ones. Just because it's normal given your circumstances doesn't mean you can't be helped by a psychologist. Nor does it mean you don't need or deserve help.

Quote:
A tantrum is not an illness

Disruptive mood dysregulation disorder is as much a tantrum as social anxiety disorder is shyness or bipolar disorder is being moody.

If a kid is having minor tantrums as a preschooler, they won't qualify for DMDD. If they are having full-blown tantrums at 12, or tantrums in which they pose a serious danger to themselves or others at any age, then they may get diagnosed. And I don't see the problem with that.

Quote:
and Aspergers still exits

It never did.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 9:55 am

logician wrote:
I've read that they are going to abolish Aspergers diagnosis altogether and deprive help from people who rely on support
from caregivers because of their severe AS-symptoms.

I can't live without the social care I recieve, because I can't do the shopping, driving to town or establish relationships on my own.
I can't live at all without support from caregivers, this has been tested and examined to pieces and been documented.

Now they want to abolish the Aspergers diagnosis and erase all my papers, saying that since it no longer exists, the documentation is worthless.

I am sure that this whole Anti-Aspergers (DSM V) thing is an evil conspiracy against me, personally, to make me live on the street and eventually commit suicide!

My impairments don't disappear just because I lose my diagnosis. But they know that already, and THAT is why they want to deprive me of my diagnosis by
abolishing it altogether in the DSM V so that WHO's ICD 11 will be reviewed without Aspergers.

Asperger's is not being abolished, nor are you going to lose your diagnosis. The only thing that the DSM V does is fold Asperger's into a broader diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorder, which also includes classic autism and PDD-NOS. Anyone who would of qualified for an Asperger's diagnosis today, would still get support in future.

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:12 am

they are different - hence the vast numbers who are no longer autistic under DSM5

http://www.usautism.org/USAAA_Newslette ... 061512.htm

Who cares if its normal? .........people should get help for it. Well here is the motivation in play - workloads. How did we get on before DSM classified basic human experience as a "disorder"? lol

Yes it does.

Why engage in debate when these people dont even understand what they work with - feels like taking your car to a cobbler - pointless.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:37 am

answeraspergers wrote:

Not an assumption.

Have you read the proposed new criteria? I have! I have been following them for 2 years. I'm not sure how you mean they did this behind closed door? We're the criteria set up in thier private meeting of thier committee? Yes but them made readable to the public and were 3 times open to the public for comment and suggestion and feed back. Then they would change and edit based off the feed back! They took them off thier site recently because they are doing the final revisions and don't want people trying to use the old criteria. We will likely see the final products in may! I

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2013, 10:43 am

i have read them yes

and i recall the general outrage at the DSM5 process

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/dsm ... 5-openness

they can keep their product, but i will reserve total judgement until i see the final version

money has ruled reason and I will likely disregard its daft changes as should most people