Yesterday I was officially diagnosed.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 8:22 am

I went to the neuropsychologist yesterday for the result of the neuropsych evaluation. She officially diagnosed me with AS.

I came here in 2005, pretty sure that I had AS, but now that I'm diagnosed I'm not sure. Between then and now I met two guys with Asperger's, both singing students with my same vocal coach (what a coincidence, huh?), and I feel I'm different from them. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and they're men, but I don't identify myself with them. Is this normal? Am I crazy?

answeraspergers
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 9:09 am

That seems pretty normal to me.

Everyone is an individual and a product of their own conditioning, genetics, epigenetics etc

Tahitiii
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 9:33 am

The "Female Presentation" is different.
It's a regular theme around here.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 9:40 am

congratulations.

My deviant art profile

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 10:15 am

Quote:
Between then and now I met two guys with Asperger's, both singing students with my same vocal coach (what a coincidence, huh?), and I feel I'm different from them. Maybe it's because I'm a woman and they're men, but I don't identify myself with them. Is this normal? Am I crazy?

It's a spectrum. Not all autistics are alike, even if they're similar functioning levels.

I've met many autustics in person, all along the functioning level. Some I identify with, others I don't.

It doesn't seem to relate to gender for me - I've identified more with some guys than some girls. It also doesn't relate much to functioning level - I've identified both with Temple Grandin (don't like her autism politics, but when I met her at a conference I got a strong feeling that she was like me) and with a 10 year old diaper-wearing boy with only three communicative words. It seems to me that it's most strongly related to body language. If they have a similar style of body language to me, I'll get a feeling of kinship with them.

Zodai
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 3:15 pm

Quote:
If you've met one Aspie, you've met one Aspie.

Author/Writer

hadapurpura
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2013, 7:29 pm

Thank you all!! !

I've probably been worrying about this too much. I guess it's the combination between gender, functioning level and individual differences. It's just that when I'm out there, it's more difficult for me to think of that, and it makes me pensive.

Samian
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2013, 7:48 pm

thomas81 wrote:
congratulations.

Indeed! I've heard it said that without autism we would still be living in caves......