Page 1 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 12:53 pm

I was looking at a recent article on Adam Lanza and saw his photo, and the stare just stood out at me. It made me wonder if this is how most of us look:

Do you think most of us have this kind of stare, seems kind of creepy.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 1:52 pm

He looks like he's in costume here, so maybe the wide eyed stare is an attempt to be all Count Dwackula.
I think of the aspie stare as being when you are so lost in thought that you don't notice what's in front of you.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:00 pm

Psychopaths are meant to have an intense stare

It could be the flash going off that has startled him or he could be doing that expression just for effect

ThetaIn3D
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:14 pm

I am often flat-faced and there are many situations where I'm probably unusually wide-eyed, but not that wide-eyed.

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:20 pm

Asperger people do have a different stare than other people...reflects the different "soul" of theirs.

These are aspie-stares:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqGhDPhaRrc[/youtube]

The anxiety seems obvious in some of these aspies.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

Some looked aspie, some looked non-autistic

There's often a blankness and lack of emotion in the aspie look but some of those people looked pretty NT - they were emoting perfectly normally

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:33 pm

Here is my Aspie stare at age 7. Nothing's changed much, although until I read about it on here, I was totally unaware of it. I definitely have a look that is not like other peoples'.

That Lanza picture looks like he's shocked or surprised, not doing an ordinary expression.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:52 pm

I wouldn't call that a stare, it's just a person looking

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:55 pm

I apparently have a wide eyed intense look that scares people sometimes. Probably more similar to the OP's picture, the psychopathic stare. lol.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 2:57 pm

nessa238 wrote:
I wouldn't call that a stare, it's just a person looking

You're entitled to your opinion of course as we all are.

It's sometimes not until you see an Aspie alongside other people in a photo for instance that you can see the difference. That is a clip from a photo with siblings taken at Christmas, I look very different from all my siblings in the photo. I have quite a lot of photos of me with a blank stare, I do not intend posting an up-to-date one, as I am a private person. I do believe it signifies the stereotypical Aspie stare, but I'm not going to argue about it.

BTW 'stare' just means:

Quote:
Noun

stare (plural stares)

A persistent gaze.

(obviously a gaze means: gaze, to stare intently or earnestly) therefore the "Aspie stare", which is characterised by being a blank (faraway somehow) sort of stare, is evidence in my pic (and many others I have)

Last edited by whirlingmind on 09 Apr 2013, 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

elsing
Raven
Raven

09 Apr 2013, 3:04 pm

The Adam Lanza picture looks like he is startled or could be putting on an expression.

I was quite startled some time ago when I saw some pictures of myself online - I'm not going to share. It was me as a child amongst my mum and her daughters many friends and in all of them I'm just staring off into the distance, everyone else was smiling and looking happy. Sometimes there is no wonder people tell me I look bored or distant when I'm happy

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 3:10 pm

elsing wrote:
The Adam Lanza picture looks like he is startled or could be putting on an expression.

Quite. Since when did 'stare' mean a bulging-eyed OTT expression. It's almost a look of disbelief he's displaying, maybe he was startled by the camera flash or something. If someone "stared" at me in that way I would not take it as a stare, I'd either think they had a stick up their ass or I'd wonder what I had on my face (and either way I'd be so worried I'd be running for the hills!)

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 3:11 pm

...or think there was a ghost behind me :lol: !

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 3:17 pm

For me that bulgy eyed stare happens when I think "make eye contact" which unfortunately happens when applying for jobs and other times when it would be very detrimental to look like a psychopath. Maybe he was trying to put on an expression -some aspies look creepy when we try to do things like fake a smile, make good eye contact ect.

In pictures I looked more spacey than creepy as a child. In some I looked really sad my mum says. The ones of me as an adult I just look like I have a bit of a weird smile and in some I look like someone with something obviously wrong with them- really weird- and others I just look normal.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2013, 3:29 pm

I think if you're the type to gun down a load of schoolchildren you've gone past the stage of having an 'appropriate' expression on your face

the shooting is an expression of the rage at having all the pressure to act in an 'appropriate' manner put on you and not being able to live up to it

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2013, 1:15 am

No, this isn't it.