Struggling to know if I have Asperger's.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CuriousGuy20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2013, 10:19 am

Struggling to know if I have Asperger's.

Last edited by CuriousGuy20 on 04 Aug 2013, 12:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:25 am

Only an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional can give you an accurate and valid diagnosis, and only after meeting with you in person more than once. As far as I know, there is no one on this website who is qualified to make such a diagnosis. If you think that you may have an Autism Spectrum Disorder, then your best option is to consult such a professional, and not to seek the opinions of unqualified strangers on a social website.

I know ... my response is "blunt", and some people will likely complain, but this really is the best advice that anyone here can give.

CuriousGuy20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2013, 10:37 am

Fnord wrote:
Only an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional can give you an accurate and valid diagnosis, and only after meeting with you in person more than once. As far as I know, there is no one on this website who is qualified to make such a diagnosis. If you think that you may have an Autism Spectrum Disorder, then your best option is to consult such a professional, and not to seek the opinions of unqualified strangers on a social website.

I know ... my response is "blunt", and some people will likely complain, but this really is the best advice that anyone here can give.
No worries, any kind of response is much appreciated! I''ve just been confused and thought somebody on here might have a similar situation or some advice.

Phssthpok
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Aug 2013, 10:43 am

Fnord is right if you're unsure than a professional is really the best and practically only way to find out. Also trying to tease apart whether your issues are related to the abuse you experienced or AS is not easy even for a professional.

Last edited by Phssthpok on 04 Aug 2013, 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 10:49 am

CuriousGuy20 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Only an appropriately-trained and licensed mental-health professional can give you an accurate and valid diagnosis, and only after meeting with you in person more than once. As far as I know, there is no one on this website who is qualified to make such a diagnosis. If you think that you may have an Autism Spectrum Disorder, then your best option is to consult such a professional, and not to seek the opinions of unqualified strangers on a social website. I know ... my response is "blunt", and some people will likely complain, but this really is the best advice that anyone here can give.
No worries, any kind of response is much appreciated! I've just been confused and thought somebody on here might have a similar situation or some advice.

Thank you. My official diagnosis was 4 years ago (and I've scheduled a re-evaluation in autumn). Because I'm in my late fifties, that means that I spent over 40 years trying to determine what the fork was wrong with me. Receiving my diagnosis triggered a tremendous sense of relief, because I finally had a valid reason for my life-long "outside, looking in" social perspective. Before the diagnosis, it seemed that everyone I knew (non-professionals, every one) had a different opinion of why I was so "weird" - from a simple "bad attitude" to having a schizoid neuropathy to being a sociopath - all of these amateur diagnoses served only to confuse and frustrate me even further.

Getting an official diagnosis will likely be one of the best things that will ever happen for you!

Good luck!

CuriousGuy20
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2013, 11:09 am

Thank you both. Getting an official diagnoses is really the only choice I have then. Whatever the outcome, it will be for the better.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2013, 11:18 am

CuriousGuy20 wrote:
... Whatever the outcome, it will be for the better.

Amen, Bruddah! Amen!