How do you tell someone they have ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Mani
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Jun 2013, 12:00 pm

Hi,

I am new to this site and find it incredibly helpful. So I have another question. My son is 9 years old and he was recently diagnosed with ASD. I want him to know that he has ASD because I think it is beneficial to know. My question is: What is the best way to tell him? I want to do it in a positive way. I want him to be proud of who he is, ASD and all. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I should or should not say? or is it best to not have a specific conversation about it but discuss it when there is a teachable moment to do so? Any thoughts?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2013, 12:12 pm

[opinion=mine]

First, explain what ASD is in neutral or positive terms.

Then ask him if he understands, and have him explain it back to you. Correct any mis-conceptions.

Then, just tell him, and in the most loving terms.

Finally, tell him that you love him.

Do all of this in a quiet, safe and friendly environment.

[/opinion]

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 8:06 am

How much / what is he able to understand?

Buttoneater
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jun 2013, 11:30 am

My parents took me to a symposium on autism under the pretext that it was for my dad and that I was just there to provide him with moral support. I figured out in about ten minutes that it wasn't for him, it was for me. I wouldn't necessarily suggest that approach though, just letting you know how I found out.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2013, 12:35 pm

Anyone have a good experience with this from either side?

I think it will be easier for me because I have just been diagnosed and my son and I are very close--he has similar anxiety problems to mine and we have already discussed the genetics of that. I think we can have another discussion that just broadens that out a bit, but I am still a bit apprehensive about it. I am definitely going to start with something about admired people with probable ASDs--Einstein, Newton, etc.

It would be good to hear about positive and negative experiences with this, though.