Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 11:19 pm

Would you want a cure for tourettes if they had one....?

Today i was actually verbal and was happy because i was more talkative, yet i was ticcing so bad it affected the way i walked, moved, anything, i looked like a zombie on drugs, and i was in such intense pain :( ! I have shirts that say autism, now everybody thinks i should get ones that say tourettes, ahhh. I would do anything for a cure for tourettes, i'm sorry but between the vocal tics, and the horrible painful motor tics, my poor body is so worn out, and whats worse is that i become more stimmy also, and then wouldnt ya know it, my speech started disappearing, and so did i, i ended up retreated to my world and became so stimmy, my boyfriend was afraid to take me out in public because i wasnt responding to my name, all i did was flicker and rock, and moan, i throw food on the ground, i bit if you tried to touch me, it was horrible, usually during those times im more prone to running or big time melting down, so he tries to keep me away from any stimulus activity so that both doesnt happen. All because my tourettes got so bad, what triggered them, who knows, something always triggers them! Tommorrow i have a long day and am wearing my autism shirt hoping i dont get too stimmy and disappear to that point again, i just hope my tourettes doesnt ruin another day for me :x :cry: .

So back to my question, would you take the cure for tourettes? whats your remedy for tourettes, my neurologist wont give me any drugs because of how bad of a reaction i have to every type of drug out there! Need some advice from people who either been around tourettes, are touretters, or know touretters, please help :!:

lionesss
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 11:24 pm

The last thing I want to do is give you bad advice but do you believe in homeopathic remedies? I think there is some truth to it. Here are some that you may want to read up on

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086136_make-herbal-remedy-tourettes.html

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/12340/tourettes-alternative-treatment-hello-i-was-wonder.html

http://www.tourette-syndrome.com/holistic.htm

Hope this helps some.. some things to look into I suppose!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 11:29 pm

lionesss wrote:
The last thing I want to do is give you bad advice but do you believe in homeopathic remedies? I think there is some truth to it. Here are some that you may want to read up on

http://www.ehow.com/how_2086136_make-herbal-remedy-tourettes.html

http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/askquestion/12340/tourettes-alternative-treatment-hello-i-was-wonder.html

http://www.tourette-syndrome.com/holistic.htm

Hope this helps some.. some things to look into I suppose!

hmm thanks yes im def going to look into this stuff, see the thing thats hard is that everything affects me, its either works good for tourettes but messes up the autism, or if not then all of a sudden i start have siezing like activity, or ill get weird skin reactions, just one thing after another with me. Thanks though, it was a huge help!

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2008, 11:56 pm

Biting, I'd probably freak you out if you were to bite me ... My primary reaction would be to see what the problem is with that part of the body and why I'm getting some body damage signals from it, so I look in the direction to see it.

If I had tourettes would I want a cure for it? I'd probably go for a shirt saying "Don't mind me!" or "First impressions suck!" or "You try being me!"

I wouldn't be willing to wear a t-shirt to warn others about myself. Maybe I should wear a shirt "single" - "male" - "intelligent" lol I'm getting carried away here...

I'd probably say "no" to it. Some drugs can make the condition worse, I'm asthmatic and searching for aspirin is a nightmare when I need some and I always need them when my headache is severe.

The best cure is adaption - something alot of us will spend half or most of our lives doing.

Paula
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 12:30 am

I hate having tourettes. Yes I'd like a cure for it. One of the children I use to work with had it and the Doc put him on Cylert....the worse thing to give a child with tourettes. He went ballistic and his ticks were so bad he was in terrible pain. finally a different doctor ( Group Home got rid of her) put him on clonidine, you can hardly tell he has tourettes. But i get it you react badly to meds. I hope the homeopathic route works. I think I'll look into that to.

Biogeek
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

31 Aug 2008, 12:49 am

I have Tourette's. Although my tics are mild (mostly eye blinks, sniffs and throat clearings,/spasms), unlike ASD's, I don't see any advantage to the condition. If my tics were worse, I would treat them. Tried clonidine many years ago and my blood pressure got so low that I could barely stand up. For me, the treatment was worse than the disease.

Has your doctor tried lower doses? With psychotropic drugs, I have to take very small doses.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 3:43 am

I have pretty bad motor tics which are REALLY painful at times. The whole question of a cure is a bit confusing for me. Yes, I probably would like a cure, but part of my (very dysfunctional) brain seems to think that the Tourettes is a part of me and that I would be lost without it! I know that sounds weird but it is true!

Age1600
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:28 am

Keith wrote:
Biting, I'd probably freak you out if you were to bite me ... My primary reaction would be to see what the problem is with that part of the body and why I'm getting some body damage signals from it, so I look in the direction to see it.

If I had tourettes would I want a cure for it? I'd probably go for a shirt saying "Don't mind me!" or "First impressions suck!" or "You try being me!"

I wouldn't be willing to wear a t-shirt to warn others about myself. Maybe I should wear a shirt "single" - "male" - "intelligent" lol I'm getting carried away here...

I'd probably say "no" to it. Some drugs can make the condition worse, I'm asthmatic and searching for aspirin is a nightmare when I need some and I always need them when my headache is severe.

The best cure is adaption - something alot of us will spend half or most of our lives doing.

Thanks for your thoughts haha im a huge biter, but wearing a tshirt may help, may have to look into it haha and ur tshirts are hilarious!

Jellybean wrote:
I have pretty bad motor tics which are REALLY painful at times. The whole question of a cure is a bit confusing for me. Yes, I probably would like a cure, but part of my (very dysfunctional) brain seems to think that the Tourettes is a part of me and that I would be lost without it! I know that sounds weird but it is true!

Yea tourettes is apart of me but unfortunely its not my best part, i guess if a cure came up, i would def think about it before i took it, so who knows ill prob refuse it, but i just wish they werent as bad they were, wish there was a way their were so mild it was nothing to worry about, usually they are mild like face tics, shrugs, headhsakes, screeches the usual, but when they get very bad, my whole body is in horrible pain its just terrible!

As for everybody else thanks so much for replying, yea tourettes suck, their a huge pain, i swear i wanted to go inside and rip my brain out yesterday haha def got even ten times the stares though oh well haha.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 2:03 pm

Well, I don't have Tourette's because I don't have any vocal tics, but I do have numerous motor tics, and if I could cure this problem, I *definitely* would. It's so embarrassing ticcing out in public, so that I always try to disguise my tics as something else (rubbing my eye, stretching, etc.). I don't really have any remedy, except to make sure I get enough sleep, since they are always worse when I am tired. It sucks not feeling comfortable in your own body, and when I am in a real ticcing mode so that I don't seem to get any relief from the tics, I wish I could just leave my own body behind.

KingChaosNinja
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Aug 2008, 2:25 pm

That's all very intense Age1600, best of luck with that. I have very profound physical ticks that I think are a step beyond stiming but I don't think they qualify as tourettes. I snap my fingers a lot to get peoples attention, even if I know they can't hear it, when I point at something and after high-fives. I also make the rock-on gesture a lot when I'm enthusiastic about something. I also constantly need something to play with in my hands. I always have to keep my hands and fingers busy, I love feeling things.

*I picked this username 4 years ago when I was in high school. Don't hold it against me.

Jenk
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2008, 4:26 pm

Suppose the TS side was the most exposing, I’d go an hour free from time cnsuming habits, respond to a 'friend' and lo, the nostrils start flaring :roll:
I am sorry you are in pain. It's odd to want to take it from a stranger, but having been there to a far lesser extent, I can comprehend your exasperation. Voluntary OCD related movements can be exhausting but oftewn controllable - involuntary tics that know no jurisdiction, infuriating. My throat used to spasm and i'd scoff, breathe sharply and have swallowing, mouth stretching/rolling/wiping tics, it was raw and I suppose the honey/lemon concoctions would have soothed it had I tried them, though months on I tended to starve some with ignorance :?
Used to imagine systematically numbing affected areas with peanut butter (favourite food/'irrational' fear of injections.) I'd have taken them away instead of being left to get on with it, daydreaming tolerable cures. Though I read the wild adventurer personality trait profile associated with tourettes and I suppose I wouldn't extract whatever courage I possess. Since 17 the facial tics died down and its still blinking, shoulder shrugging, hand things ec. I hope yours will adapt or decrease. Take care.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2008, 6:45 pm

Tics, but no tocs topic

My brother has Tourettes, but no one knew what it was until he was dx as an adult. He declined meds and took to alcohol to calm his "twitches", as he called them. I believe now, in retrospect my father had Tourettes, but again, he hid it with booze. :(

I know I stim but I know how hard it is to see someone with tics. If I noticed any bullying of my brother I would speak up, even though he and I did not get along. I would not tolerate bullying like that. :evil:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

AngryJessman
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2008, 9:12 pm

people have told me i have little twitches some times, I keep trying to hold it in because I keep thinking it would look like im nervous when im not

I don't know whether I have tourettes, but since i get fustrated trying to find the words i need to say, during an arguement or debate, i swear because i know i have a good reply/answer but it's very irritating when heaps of answers flood my brain at once

Julia_the_Great
Toucan
Toucan

05 Oct 2008, 1:57 pm

I'm capable of holding in my vocal tics, but if I would wake up and never tic again, I'd give up writing, I'm that desperate. The thing I have a problem with in holding in vocal tics, is that I have to let out a few about every quarter of an hour, otherwise if I hold them in too long, they start coming out so fast that I've once passed out because I couldn't breathe in between them, and I've given myself laryngitis a few times. Does anyone know how to hold in motor tics? Mine are shrugging, spitting, head and neck jerks, teeth clicking, jerking or flapping my arms, popping my ears, slapping or punching my head and neck, blinking, hair pulling,and grimacing. I once tried to put a hand in my mouth to stop my teeth clicking, but I bit myself through the skin.

Lonermutant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:04 pm

I have anxiety tounge clicking tics. When I hear a 9-year old imitating them in a crowded mall on a saturday, I really want a cure.

Phagocyte
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2008, 4:15 pm

Yes, it was kind of a pain in the ass when I was younger.