Do you have a problem with smiling when you are nervous?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AJ89
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2013, 12:39 pm

I always get nervous when I walk into any place and there are a ton of people around. For example, when I walk into a grocery store and there are well over a hundred people in the store I get very socially anxious because there is so many people in the store and then I start smiling. I can't even control it most times and has been a problem for me all my life. It's even worse for me when I find someone staring at me for whatever reason and then they give me a weird look for smiling because I also get nervous when anyone stares at me.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 12:52 pm

It's not called smiling. it's called smirking. In the NT world. It's a form of evil smiling. Like laughing after making fun of someone or pulling a dirty prank. For aspies however. It can be triggered involuntary when you are in a hysterical/panic state and you go into a retreat/pain escape/reclusive state( Like having a happy thought when you are in a state of emergency.) . I have gotten in trouble a lot in school because of this.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:10 pm

I smile when I'm nervous too. I've been told that I come off friendly and bubbly because of it. So I guess it works for me.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:23 pm

Judging from all the candid photos ever taken of me, my permanent expression is a sort of preoccupied scowl, even when I think I'm looking (and feeling) completely neutral. I try to smile at people on the street, if they look at me and make eye contact, just so I don't appear threatening, but it probably just comes off as fake and creepy to them, I have no way of knowing.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 1:50 pm

I used to be like this, and I wouldnt agree with LupaLuna on this, it wasn't a nasty sort of smile, more like dogs when they meet new people, always wagging their tails.

Never did me any harm, it made people like me as they thought I had a really pleasant and warm personality that I was allways smiling, plus girls said I had a lovely smile.
And of course when I wasnt smiling a looked dead miserable and unapproachable, like I do nowadays in fact as I lost that ability to smile so easily, dont worry AJ89, it will soon pass as you get a bit older, then you can join the rest of mankind in their scowling misery.

pi_woman
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Aug 2013, 2:02 pm

Nambo wrote:
...like dogs when they meet new people, always wagging their tails.

Or Gorillas. Other gorillas know instinctively that they should stand still, smile (without showing teeth), and avoid eye contact when meeting others, especially dominant males. It's a primal conflict-avoidance reflex that keeps them alive long enough to pass on their genes.

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 3:24 pm

I don't smile that often because I honestly do not see the humor in a lot of things that other people find hilarious. That, and the fact that I just don't feel like smiling--it hurts my face.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 5:31 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
It's not called smiling. it's called smirking. In the NT world. It's a form of evil smiling. Like laughing after making fun of someone or pulling a dirty prank. For aspies however. It can be triggered involuntary when you are in a hysterical/panic state and you go into a retreat/pain escape/reclusive state( Like having a happy thought when you are in a state of emergency.) . I have gotten in trouble a lot in school because of this.

Yes, I think this is often what happens.

I've read that the facial expressions for four human emotions---happiness, sadness, fear, disgust---are universal across a large number of human cultures. What isn't universal is the facial expression for embarrassment, and that can lead to misunderstandings and hurt feelings and worse.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

02 Aug 2013, 5:45 pm

I smile and even chuckle a little when I'm nervous or stressed. I often do it when my 5 year old is on my nerves and he takes it as a sign to continue when I'm trying to get him to stop. One time I did it when he was a toddler and he bounced a tennis ball off off another toddler's head we were having a play date with. I smiled because I was embarrassed but I'm pretty sure the other mom took it wrong because they never came back or answered my calls after that.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2013, 11:49 pm

Yes I smile and worse laugh often in nervious times, when people get angry, people threaten, insult or bully me. Was a very bad issue in school becouse no one would take my concerns seriously and the other kids could say, "look hes smiling and laughing he found it funny too".

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2013, 12:09 am

I think I have a similar problem. I think nervousness sometimes makes me "smile" to cover the nervousness. It must be a kind of reflex that I developed as I grew up. However, what I think is a smile must actually be looking more like a "smirk" as an earlier poster pointed out. My usual problem is a lack of smile, but I may "smile" when I don't need to. So I guess I have a problem of inappropriate facial expressions in general.

RikusWishfulDawn
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2013, 2:46 am

I try ALWAYS smile, even when i'm nervus. :D I'm actually pretty obsessive about that...I would be scared of me with a frown on my face, espesally with how intencely pestimist I can ALREADY be. Smiling, if anything, is one thing that actually keeps me sane enouth to stay in my own house....

One thing I do, to always keep a smile on my face, is I drink coffee. It tastes good to me and causes me a 'high', even when i'm upset, that defetes any form of a frown on my face.

When i'm REALLY upset, I always make sure I cry instead of frown.

I'm actually a bit deathly afraid of frowing tbh.