Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 2:17 pm

Are other people better than me ? I seem to think people who e.g. leave university, get a great job and career are more superior to me. I bet they are not good at something that I can do.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 3:17 pm

chris1989 wrote:
Are other people better than me?
Short answer: 'Yes'. There are other people who are better than you.

Long answer: It depends on what you mean by "Better". If you mean morally superior in every way, then 'No'. If you mean more capable of obtaining gainful employment and a more rewarding life, then 'Maybe' or 'Yes'. "Better" depends on many more factors than education and employment. There is also credit history, independent living, creative talents, esoteric skills, police record, and the ability to get along well with others.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 3:26 pm

Rating human beings is shallow & largely pointless.

There are tons of college graduates with clean records who might throw anyone else under the bus to keep that status.

There are college graduates with clean records who got their degrees by snorting amphetamines. I dropped out, went to jail, skipped the rat race & now my job is pretty OK.

I am more capable than many people who did get degrees. This is about self-actualization, status is for idiots.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 3:27 pm

There are people who will judge you over your credit history, usually it's best to ignore them.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 3:33 pm

Like I said, if the OP means morally superior in every way, then 'No' -- no one is "Better" than anyone else.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm

I remember feeling for a long time that other people were better than me, because they were having relationships and I wasn't, they were better at athletics, or music, or some other hobby or activity. Then I learned that I had to redefine "better". Yes, they might be better at some things that I am, but looking at the some total of everything, no one person is better than another. We are all human beings and equal in that area.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2020, 11:36 pm

I feel the same way about myself. I've often felt like my sh***y Asperger's denied me of having friends and made me the "second best" (which means people would rather be friends with other people than with me, and only use me as a doormat). So it has conditioned me to believe that other people are better than me, even insecure, mean, selfish people get liked better than me. It hurts big time.

Spenser777
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2020, 2:55 am

Yes, other people better than you

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2020, 6:43 am

It's a meaningless question. "Better" has, on its own, no meaning. Better at what? Better for what? Better in what?

I'm pretty sure I'm a better writer than Floyd Mayweather. But I wouldn't want to get into a boxing ring (which is actually a square--makes no sense) with him. He's a better boxer. And which of us is a better father? Or a better friend? Or a better lover? So who's better?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2020, 8:57 am

I think the OP means are other people more likeable than him as a person.

Personally I think the OP is very likeable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2020, 9:05 am

As long as you don't go around robbing people, abusing young children, and things like that, you're okay.

There are people who are "better" than me. There are people who are "worse" than me.

I do compare myself to other people---but, then, I realize that I am just myself. I can improve myself if I want to. I can stay the same if I want to.

These days, I try to make sure I look presentable in the street, and that I don't smell up whatever room I am in.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 12:35 am

You'd be much happier if you didn't waste your time thinking about such matters.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2020, 7:44 am

chris1989 wrote:
Are other people better than me ?

Yes and no. That goes for everyone.