I'm good most of the day; but by sunset I am ready to drop. 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
I'm not usually tired until bedtime. 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
Exhaustion? What is this strange word of which you speak??? 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 34

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2013, 2:26 pm

I am wondering if others get totally exhausted on a daily basis because of all the work we have to do trying to figure out this world?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 2:46 pm

I have never felt exhausted from being different. I have only found school exhausting and I thought it was like that for everyone but they handled it better and could get their work done. Then coming home was no help because I had homework that lasted till bed time and I was shocked to hear online how it only takes kids an hour or twenty minutes to do it and school days were always tough for me and the older I got, the more time consuming I got because of me needing help with homework. My mom was nice to let me have breaks. I hear most kids hate homework but if you found school hard and exhausting and then having to come home and have more work to do that lasted you until bed time, you would hate it too and find it stressful. It certainly wasn't like this when I was in special ed full time because the work was easy and I got it all done in school and the teacher never gave us homework, if we didn't finish it, we worked on it the next day in school. It's not like that in mainstream. My 5th grade teacher was kind enough to give me more time to complete my school work so he didn't penalize me for turning it in late. It's not like I was lazy and slacking off and putting it aside. But I never ever fought to do homework and never refused to do it. There would have been a consequence was why.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 3:24 pm

I do tend to "pass out" around eight P.M. most nights as of late, though I would attribute this more to the effects of being hypersensitive and hyperemotional than trying to figuring the world out.

On a smart-phone, some applications, such as the Picture app, drain the phone battery much more slowly than, say, a Video app. My brain seems to process the world more through video-type apps than picture-type apps, which causes it to deplete more quickly.

It may also be that I am running too many applications at a time; on top of any application (Reading App, Writing App, Test Performance App, Social App, Avoid Having Meltdown App, Hunger App, ect.) that I may be running at any given time, I also run the Imaginary World/Maladaptive Daydreaming App (which is ike a 3-D, high-definition gaming app), which also drains the battery more quickly.

League_Girl, your experience with school sounds absolutely horrendous--no child should have to do schoolwork nearly all of their waking hours! Sadly, the Common Core in the United States is causing more and more of this, from what I have read...

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 4:45 pm

Not really.

WarWraith
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Dec 2013, 5:07 pm

Again, this ties in with my "brute-force" theory. I really need to blog it so I can link to it, but in a nutshell, I think it's possible to gather enough intellectual resources and by applying yourself, appear to be NT.

The problem, which I realised recently, is that there's a cognitive cost to this. When that clicked, I realised why I might be exhausted all the time.

It seems that when I'm less "NT" I have more energy, and vice-versa.

"I'm regenerating now. Regenerating's cool!" - the final words of the Eleventh

AQ: 41

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 6:20 pm

AspieTurtle wrote:
I am wondering if others get totally exhausted on a daily basis because of all the work we have to do trying to figure out this world?

I'm exhausted by the anxiety. I just went grocery shopping this afternoon and the place was packed with people. By the time I was done, just navigating the strangers and the racket of Holiday Muzak had my nerves frazzled and my head swimming. I'm still tense two hours after getting home. :shaking:

Epsilon
Toucan
Toucan

03 Dec 2013, 7:46 pm

Experiencing other people's ignorance exhausts me more than the facts that I'm not like everyone else; I am in high school.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2013, 8:55 pm

WarWraith wrote:
Again, this ties in with my "brute-force" theory. I really need to blog it so I can link to it, but in a nutshell, I think it's possible to gather enough intellectual resources and by applying yourself, appear to be NT.

The problem, which I realised recently, is that there's a cognitive cost to this. When that clicked, I realised why I might be exhausted all the time.

That's just it. Autism in and of itself is not exhausting. It's the fact that we can't just be are selves and have to actively try to be someone that we are not. The constant having to be on red-alert and keeping track of every little detail in social situations and the anxiety that goes with being aware of the consequences for failing.

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Dec 2013, 9:11 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
WarWraith wrote:

That's just it. Autism in and of itself is not exhausting. It's the fact that we can't just be are selves and have to actively try to be someone that we are not. The constant having to be on red-alert and keeping track of every little detail in social situations and the anxiety that goes with being aware of the consequences for failing.

This makes so much sense!

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 6:13 am

[quote="LupaLuna]

Quote:
Autism in and of itself is not exhausting. It's the fact that we can't just be are selves and have to actively try to be someone that we are not. The constant having to be on red-alert and keeping track of every little detail in social situations and the anxiety that goes with being aware of the consequences for failing.

Exactly!

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 7:05 am

What about us nocturnes?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

AspieTurtle
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Dec 2013, 7:29 am

Ganondox wrote:
What about us nocturnes?

Sorry, you are right.
Should have stated in the poll "For ATs who are sleep typical"

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2013, 12:40 pm

Yes, because a lot of things that most take for granted seems a big effort for me.