Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 11:50 am

I think I would be doing so much better in my life had my grandparents and other extended family members been involved in my life. I think most of the traumatic experiences I had in my life could have been avoided had I had normal grandparents, aunts, and uncles that were actually a part of my life. My siblings and I are pretty much ignored by our extended family. Do any of you have extended family members involved in your lives? If not, do you wish they were?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 1:32 pm

I saw my grandparents a few times a year, but I don't think anybody in my family took much of an interest in me. There just wasn't much parental talent anywhere. I didn't even get their histories 'till they were dead.

Buc
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2018, 1:42 pm

My grandmother raised me. The rest of my family sucks (except my sister).

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 9:38 pm

Dear_one wrote:
I saw my grandparents a few times a year, but I don't think anybody in my family took much of an interest in me. There just wasn't much parental talent anywhere. I didn't even get their histories 'till they were dead.

I barely know anything about the histories on either side of my family.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 9:41 pm

Buc wrote:
My grandmother raised me. The rest of my family sucks (except my sister).

Your grandmother sounds like a great lady.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2018, 9:42 pm

We all like each other and get along, though they're not really involved in my life as far as knowing personal things about me.

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Jan 2018, 2:28 pm

I don't have contact with either side of my family. I've hunted them down online as best I can, with mixed results. I would never contact any of them, though, or at least not anytime soon. I don't think I want anything to do with them based on the way they treated my parents, though I would like to hear the other side to all the stories and fill in the gaps, just because I'm an avid historian and can't stand to miss out on my own heritage. All the same, I've always wanted an extended family I could really interact with. Just not my extended family.

Piobaire
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 2:39 pm

We had a very engaged extended family; I was even sent to live with an aunt or an uncle on occasion; I guess to give my parents some respite. Still, everything turned out exactly as it did.
I am just as I am in this present moment. Wishing that the past was in any way different doesn't seem any more helpful to me than wishing that yesterday's sunrise was prettier.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 6:58 pm

AceofPens wrote:
I don't have contact with either side of my family. I've hunted them down online as best I can, with mixed results. I would never contact any of them, though, or at least not anytime soon. I don't think I want anything to do with them based on the way they treated my parents, though I would like to hear the other side to all the stories and fill in the gaps, just because I'm an avid historian and can't stand to miss out on my own heritage. All the same, I've always wanted an extended family I could really interact with. Just not my extended family.

Both sides of my extended family treated my parents like crap.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2018, 7:14 pm

Before Autism was a thing, I went to a lot of meetings for various dysfunctions, and NT families are often disasters, too.