Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 6:19 pm

Can someone comprehensively describe to me the characteristics of an "absent-minded professor"?

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2014, 7:20 pm

One trait is endlessly going on about your subject while developing new thoughts, not noticing, that the audience is lost. And at the same time forgetting all about trivial necessities, like doing your hair, tying shoelaces and more.
That was the stererotype.

Any more?

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:07 am

Thanks.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 3:57 am

when I see absent minded professor, i think of Dr. Walter Bishop on the TV show Fringe.
there is a lot in that character i can relate to and i wonder if i'll be like that when
i grow up.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 9:09 am

I think it's people notcing that you have your mind on something else. In other words, your focus is on your thoughts as opposed to any converstaion you may be having with them.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2014, 2:01 pm

My dad :-p

What's already been said though. A professor (obviously) who is often lost in thought about their studies. Their mind's aren't usually fully present to the present, so they misplace things, don't pay attention to conversation, won't notice if their appearance is dishevelled, etc.

Poor motivation