Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 12:49 am

Stress seems to get mentioned a great deal, both here and in the real world, around autism.
I was even asked this question by a disability job capacity assessment recently in regard to my capabilities / limitations. They took it for granted that I would not be able to handle "stress."
But it seems to me to be a highly variable, subjective question. What constitutes "stress"? Why do they assume what stresses one person will stress another?
For example I need solitude - I find it very stressful if I can't be alone when I need to be, or if I am over-exposed to other people too much of the time. I'm perfectly fine completely alone for days, even weeks if I'm occupied.
To most normal people, this would cause them considerable stress, to be isolated from other people.
Along with job loss, moving house / moving about a lot or homelessness is often pointed out as the absolute apex of stress possible in generic western life.
I happen to like both.
But stick me with my square relatives and their square lives for a week with nothing to do and no escape and I'll go nuts.
I'm in the process of contemplating yet another traditionally stressful job, and I'm curious about this blanket statement about autism and "stress." I have never functioned adequately in a job for more than a few months. I don't know if this was related to the "stress" level or not, or what kind of stress. Whether what stresses me may be completely benign to normal people and visa versa. How to know?
How does everyone else respond to stressors, and does this equate to what stresses other people?

Jute
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Oct 2016, 5:57 am

Everyone is an individual, with their own individual likes, dislikes and causes of stress. They all have their own individual methods of dealing with stress, that work for them personally, the same also applies to so called NTs.

I generally don't get stressed, because I know from experience the sorts of situations that are likely to increase my stress levels and I avoid them.

Somewhere completely different:

Autism Social Forum

I am no longer active on this forum, I've quit.

davidmcg
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Oct 2016, 6:13 am

I get extremely stressed, especially in work where it can get so bad, I quit. I get stressed at home and outside too...feels more like panic than stress tho....especially on the tube...hate that thing....get very stressed on it and mostly want off.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 6:28 am

I've acquired the ability to dissociate so I don't generally get "stressed" that often.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 6:33 am

I find communicating with other people to be rather stressful, especially right now as my brain is extremely 'foggy', which causes anxiety in a number of areas.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

09 Oct 2016, 11:10 am

Stress for me is too much going on - and I'm not just talking about sensory overload - more like cognitive overload, if for instance I have to make a lot of big decisions in a short period of time. I lose my focus and can't make the decisions, or take an easy out rather than carefully considering them.

Family is also stress, at least those branches that still have anything to do with me.

My marriage is full of kind and accepting words, hugs, and laughter, which is very stress-proofing.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

10 Oct 2016, 12:57 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Stress for me is too much going on - and I'm not just talking about sensory overload - more like cognitive overload, if for instance I have to make a lot of big decisions in a short period of time. I lose my focus and can't make the decisions, or take an easy out rather than carefully considering them.

Exactly! Cognitive overload! Cognitive overload + time pressure = Disaster.