Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 12:13 pm

I have many mental problems. I have problems with executive functioning and was named as "unsuitable to world". I have also many weird traits, but now I want to write about my "twitness" mainly. I do not want to name other people with problems similar to mine as "twits", of course.

I may group my "dysexecutive" symptoms in some groups:

1. Something which appear to be SCT/CDD (sluggish cognitive tempo/concentration deficit disorder). It has two main groups of symptoms:
- daydreamy-spacey (I like to daydream quite much, some of daydreams appear to be "maladptive", they are "strangely pleasant" memories; I was sometimes decribed as "present, but unconscious" (Polish: "obecny, a nieprzytomny") by my mother
- sluggish-lethargic (I like to do "everything" slow, I am rather always slow, sluggish; I rather constantly feel "drowsy-like", somewhat "fatigued", "tired" and "having less energy than others", may appear to be "in the fog"); my thinking may appear to be "slower" and I may slower respond to verbal commands or be sometimes quite easily confusable (deficit of concentration, slower tempo of cognition? - something like being always "sleepy")
SCT appears to be constant and "pervasive" problem, I do not know when it started.

2. Something which looks like ADD or other executive function disorder:
- problems with attention when something is not so interesting to me; maybe I am easily bored by less interesting themes; my auditory memory may be also not so good (but not so weak - I do not know so precisely, but maybe it is due to problems with concentration or attention)
- problems with making decisions (sometimes they were problematic to my mother)
- problems with complex tasks such as writting essays or making projects on the studies - I need some time to start
- marked procrastrination
- something which appears to be problems with prioritizing, selecting
- I like to do simple tasks, such as handwriting, but do not like complex ones
- I do not have plans for future job, have problems with "not thinking about something"; my mind may appear to be "chaotic"
It is serious problem. It may have really negative impact on my occupational abilities.

3. Something which looks like mild visual-spatial-motor disorder (true NLD):
- problems with visual thinking - it may be often "telescopic" in my case, my visual memory may be limited, I have problems with "practical" use of visual thinking
- I confused left and right when I was younger quite much, I might also confuse "inside" and "outside"
- I learned how to tie shoelaces relatively early, I had problems with eating using knife and fork
- I have marked problems with binding a tie, I can't ride a horse, swim, I have poor "typically technical" abities
- I was really poor in volleyball and had large problems with staying on head or hands (maybe I can't do it?)

4. I am physically weak (low strenght and endurance).

I would name it all as "mild pervasive developmental dysexecutiveness". I am quite hyperactive or hyperkinetic (like to fidget and walking without purpose). I do not know so precisely how impulsive I am.

Maybe my problems are associated with perinatal problems (birth weight 2160 g and body length 53 cm - very low birth body weight to length ratio (below 5th percentile), also low birth weigth (below 2500 g), my mother was ill before my birth and I had dystrophy after birth).

I do not know how to do. I think that my dysexecutiveness may limit my occupational abilities. What it is? I think that it may not be true ADHD. I may have difficulties with imagining my life without such a dysexecutiveness.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

nca14 wrote:
4. I am physically weak (low strenght and endurance).

I do not know how to do. I think that my dysexecutiveness may limit my occupational abilities.

You can start exercising so that you become stronger.
That's fairly easy to do, and then at the very least you will be able to perform very many physical tasks, maybe even lifting heavy stuff. It's a simple place to start. It's not as hard to improve once you have a starting point.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 3:04 am

But what to do with three other problems?

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 5:37 am

Maybe the second problem (AD(H)D or something like it) is the worst one? It makes mind "chaotic". It is not only problem with sluggishness or visual-spatial-motor functions, but with executve functioning "at all". It is a problem on the studies. What it is? Can it be medicated? NVLD (unlike ADHD) ws once characterised as something which does not medicate...

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 6:46 am

I "hate" more complicated tasks. I like simple "completing" (Polish: uzupełnianie) like doing crossword puzzle. I appear good in something like it. I do not like writing essays, making projects. Why? I like simple, repetitive motor activities such as picking fruits, washing dishes etc. I am "nerdy dolt". Work "has to be" a pleasure for me. What to do with such a "pervasive" dysexecutiveness?

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 7:05 am

If you have problems and want them diagnosed so that you can receive support, you need to go to a qualified professional. Otherwise you can attempt to fix them yourself, but there's no point guessing as to what they may be.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:35 am

I also do not know what it is exactly :( But I have not professional help against it.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2014, 11:42 am

nca14 wrote:
I also do not know what it is exactly :( But I have not professional help against it.

I understand that it is frustrating not knowing why you experience problems that others do not seem to, but you should see a counselor, a doctor, or literally any person with medical experience to discuss this with, so that you can get somewhere.

I also think it would help to summarize all your thoughts relevant to your struggles as a short list, so that you don't confuse yourself and forget what you have thought in the past.

Persimmonpudding
Toucan
Toucan

20 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

Well, self-discipline is a difficult thing for anyone to learn, and the only thing for it is time and effort. You build upon the things that you can already do. Build up your will and self-efficacy.

As far as what is going on with you, it sounds like you've done a lot of research on the topic already. You're probably ahead of most of us on it.

But no, you're not a "twit." That is a term intended to inflict injury on another person. You may be a sort of individual that an unpleasant person would call a "twit," but which is the worse defect? Being an unpleasant person or being a little foolish? My dog is a little foolish, but I don't call her names. Not only do I not consider it a defect in her personality, but I think it adds to her charm.

What you do is get an employer who knows how to manage you and a romantic partner who loves you for what you are, not "in spite of" what you are. Be courteous to others, and do your best to develop yourself in areas that you feel you could do better. Make a habit of setting goals for yourself, and if you feel it would help you, consider seeing a therapist you can talk to about what goes on in your life.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 10:26 am

I have problems with contacts with other people. My family is not so helpful. I have poor contacts with parents and siblings. They offend me. Parents may think that I am lazy. My problems look like something misnamed as NVLD, but my main problems are not in visual-spatial area, but in emotional, executive and social. It may be an unknown type of PDD which may be not related to Kanner's autism at all. One other person from Poland who wrote thousands of posts appear to have interestingly similar problems to mine, maybe other type of my form of AS. I think that in Northern America I would be diagnosed with NVLD, which is inadequate name of my main problem in my opinion. Maybe I have ADHD and SCT? Second looks more possible for me, I may be not enough impulsive to be a person with ADHD (but I may have problems with attention deficit and hyperactivity, "ADHD" may appear to be rather "developmental impulsivity disorder").

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 11:46 am

Embrace it and work with it. Otherwise you're just at war with yourself, which fixes nothing.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 11:49 am

I still say to start with #4.
Trying to address all things at once may be too much to expect.

Have you been seeing a doc, and have you tried any medications yet?

Have you thoroughly looked through many of the wikipedia entries about disorders ?
That may give you a better idea about what maybe happening with you, or at least familiarize yourself with some of the descriptions and terminology, which may help when talking to the docs.

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2014, 12:51 pm

I read much about "NVLD" and AS. Less about SCT and ADD. SCT it not so widely known. I may feel constantly "tired", be slow and have low energy due to it, but despite it I can be hyperkinetic and have "waves" of agitation and stimming. "ADD" appears to be even worse than SCT, because it "disorganises". I may have not so good auditory (hearing) memory, maybe due to "ADD". Earlier I thought that I (rather) do not have ADD because I had rather good attention on school lessons (but it might be due to being interested in it, liking writing). In other situations I might be not so attentive... Scholastic abilities are my large strength. I may have rather learning "hyperability" than disability. I do not know how good are my occupational skills. What to do after ending school? I want to test my VIQ, PIQ... Why I have problems with executive functioning? I may think that I am just "lazy", not have SCT, ADD and similar conditions. But my problems are concerningly similar to the descriptions of these disorders...

nca14
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 11:23 am

I "hate" projects on the studies. They need quite lot of effort. Organizational skills, planning, attentiveness, decision making, prioritising, selecting etc. are important in doing projects. Maybe without ADD(?) education would be much easier to me? Even SCT may not look so impairing in doing projects, it makes you slow and somewhat drowsy-like, but not so "chaotic".

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 12:18 pm

youtube video about laziness.

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2014, 12:23 pm

Have you ever had a physical health check up? General blood test?

I have a physical health check once a year (NHS rules for people that have certain health conditions or are on certain medications).