Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Feb 2014, 1:50 pm

Hey have a question if anyone could help me on this. Could doodling be a form of stimming? I ask because I am a hard core doodler and the doodles are always the same kind of thing. I take notes when I listen to people and doodle I have a hard time sitting still if I am not moving my hands. Never noticed it much until I was put in a situation where we are not allowed to doddle and not allowed to take notes while others are talking. I had a really really hard time with that and I'm wondering if it was because doodling helps calm me down. Other times I start shaking my leg up and down rapidly and don't even notice it until someone points it out. I pick at my fingers like crazy if I have nothing to do with my hands I pick at my fingers until the bleed and I don't even notice a lot of times till someone points it out or i see blood. Just wondering if these could be a form of stimming just not really the typical way people do it. I find if I am not doing something with my hands I have a hard time. I'm just wondering if there is something I could do that less obvious say for a group setting where people don't want you doodling soo I don't get overwhelmed.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 4:17 pm

I think doodling could be a stim (or at least a coping strategy when you can't stim, like how some people squeeze stress balls, or stroke plushy toys). I love the feeling you get using really nice pencils or pens – there's something very satisfying about them!

[EDIT:] Less obvious stims that I've developed include pressing my fingers against the desk and subtly making patterns (like typing or playing the piano) – but without really moving them enough to be noticed... Also I count my teeth with my tongue, and make patterns that way too.

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2014, 6:12 pm

It totally can be a form of stimming! Stimming comes in all different shapes and sizes. I doodle, too; mainly just lines and swirls, sometimes a bunch of squares. I personally try to make my doodles as neat and uniform as possible, since I like how they look that way, nice and organized.

A more discreet(I think) stim I do is twirl a rubber bracelet. I just make sure to keep a rubber wristband on me at all times, and I'll twist it and hold it in one hand while I write with the other. It's really helpful in places where I'm not able to do a different stim. It's also portable, and it's something you can have on you without it being obvious that it's a stim toy. Just make sure it's durable; I've broken a bunch of them.
I also play with the string on my hoodie, and click my teeth to the rhythm of songs.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2014, 6:26 pm

dottsie wrote:
and click my teeth to the rhythm of songs

I've developed dental & jaw problems from doing that all my life... Be careful! :(

dottsie
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Feb 2014, 6:54 pm

Ashariel wrote:
dottsie wrote:
and click my teeth to the rhythm of songs

I've developed dental & jaw problems from doing that all my life... Be careful! :(

Yeah, that ones probably not the best. I need to find an alternative to that.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 12:58 am

Not really. I think stimming of moving hands/toes to reduce anxiety, like tapping and what not. I think stimming is done while attention is still focused on something else.

What you do is the same thing, something done to reduce anxiety, it just draws attention to itself - a distraction, if you will.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2014, 4:37 am

Another forum im on has an anxiety section.
Someone started a thread about ritualistic behavior and nervous ticks.
Some of the stuff written down by NT's were:

Whenever I get really nervous I'll either bite my nails, no matter how bitten and short they already are, I'll play with my hands, crack my knuckles, or lightly tap on things, or if I'm sitting I'll shake my legs, other things like that too.

Whenever I get social anxiety I get alot of tics/weird things.
The least worst is the simple stuff like general nervous movements, but I also bite my tongue and cheak and in a really serious way, I don't realize I'm doing it, and then I'm bleeding.

I bite my lips, tap things, click pens, twirl pencils, touch my face, cover my face with my hand. I also tap my feet and twist my ankle and stuff. I can't stay still.

Seems like there is a fine line between nervous tics and stimming.

For me personally doodling stimming would be; looking really close at where the pencil lead meets the paper and scribbling circles and just watching that process - while also taking in the sound of the pencil against the paper and the smell of the pencil... I used to do that lots. I remember one of my biggest meltdowns of all time was when a substitute teacher suddenly tried to force me to stop doing that.

inachildsmind
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2014, 4:49 pm

EzraS wrote:
Another forum im on has an anxiety section.
Someone started a thread about ritualistic behavior and nervous ticks.
Some of the stuff written down by NT's were:

Whenever I get really nervous I'll either bite my nails, no matter how bitten and short they already are, I'll play with my hands, crack my knuckles, or lightly tap on things, or if I'm sitting I'll shake my legs, other things like that too.

Whenever I get social anxiety I get alot of tics/weird things.
The least worst is the simple stuff like general nervous movements, but I also bite my tongue and cheak and in a really serious way, I don't realize I'm doing it, and then I'm bleeding.

I bite my lips, tap things, click pens, twirl pencils, touch my face, cover my face with my hand. I also tap my feet and twist my ankle and stuff. I can't stay still.

Seems like there is a fine line between nervous tics and stimming.

For me personally doodling stimming would be; looking really close at where the pencil lead meets the paper and scribbling circles and just watching that process - while also taking in the sound of the pencil against the paper and the smell of the pencil... I used to do that lots. I remember one of my biggest meltdowns of all time was when a substitute teacher suddenly tried to force me to stop doing that.

I like to do that when I am baking, I take the spoon and swirl it instead of "mix" the stuff together. I like the sound of the metal bowl swishing on the counter and the relaxing motion of watching the spoon make designs in the smooth mixture. I think thats where stimming and nervous tics are different. People who have nervous tics do it in the moment just to release a bit of tension build up. Stimming involves more sensory relaxing and an ability to zone into whatever act you are doing. I pace as well, but I do it ritually, everyday, on my tiptoes and I get so into it I tend to forget I have my family around me. Its a way to excape without having to actually leave where I am.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2014, 5:10 pm

Okay I'm confused now... If it's something that NTs do, then it's not technically a stim? So a true stim is only something that an NT would never think of doing?

Now I'm wondering which of my stims are not really stims?
- pacing for hours (and retreating into my mind)
- twirling my hair (because it calms me and helps me focus)
- making tapping patterns with my fingers (because it helps me focus)
- counting my teeth with my tongue (because... I've just always done it)
- sucking my thumb nonstop until I was 5 years old (because it was comforting and zoned me out)

The only one that I've never seen an NT do is the teeth-counting thing (then again, it's invisible, so how would I know?) I do all of these things constantly when I'm alone, but I'm careful not to in public. So are these 'tics' rather than 'stims', because NTs are known to do them as well?

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2014, 5:16 pm

886 wrote:
Not really. I think stimming of moving hands/toes to reduce anxiety, like tapping and what not. I think stimming is done while attention is still focused on something else.

What you do is the same thing, something done to reduce anxiety, it just draws attention to itself - a distraction, if you will.

To reply to that. If I am not doodling or have something in my hands than I tend to move them a lot, have a hard time keeping them still, been known to twirl my pen or pencil, or bounce my leg up and down ( I actually do that a lot when I am upset and don't even notice I am doing it, I had comments on that to and when I stopped I got really anxious. )

doodling for me releases anxiety and it's not like a thought of thing, people have commented on how fast I can doddle something over a page, but it's basically the same patterns every time. I'm not really focusing on what I am drawing if anything it keeps my hands busy and releases anxiety so its easier for me to listen to other talk in a group setting. It's not like a complicated drawing or anything.

Eye test score: 21
AQ test score: 40.0 , AQ-10: 7.0
(RAADS-R): 183.0

pinkgurl87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

18 Feb 2014, 5:19 pm

Ashariel wrote:
Okay I'm confused now... If it's something that NTs do, then it's not technically a stim? So a true stim is only something that an NT would never think of doing?

Now I'm wondering which of my stims are not really stims?
- pacing for hours (and retreating into my mind)
- twirling my hair (because it calms me and helps me focus)
- making tapping patterns with my fingers (because it helps me focus)
- counting my teeth with my tongue (because... I've just always done it)
- sucking my thumb nonstop until I was 5 years old (because it was comforting and zoned me out)

The only one that I've never seen an NT do is the teeth-counting thing (then again, it's invisible, so how would I know?) I do all of these things constantly when I'm alone, but I'm careful not to in public. So are these 'tics' rather than 'stims', because NTs are known to do them as well?

I'm not sure where the line is. Though I relate to what you say, I've been known to pace especially when I have nothing to do, I twirl my hair too sometimes. I've been known to make tapping patterns with fingers as well usually unnoticed until someone points it out. I used to sux my thumb too. Heck this is embarrassing but sometimes when I am really really distressed I still suck my thumb. I also been known to rock when really upset.

Eye test score: 21
AQ test score: 40.0 , AQ-10: 7.0
(RAADS-R): 183.0