Living in an area that lacks services for aspies

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

alien91
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Feb 2014, 3:19 pm

So I have done alot of searching and cant find any aspie support groups or social groups in my area,it really sucks. But it seems like these things are abundant in other areas... Do any of you live in a place that lacks support for aspies?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 3:27 pm

There are online support groups.

The is listing for G.R.A.S.P. support groups including online ones. You may have to register. to see the list
http://grasp.org/page/grasp-support-groups

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 5:00 pm

I know there are support groups in my area, my issue is I am anxious about going to any....I guess I feel like the autistics that would go to those are all still kind of 'normal' people who still strive to somewhat fit into society. Like I mean I listen to metal including the brutal types I wear the t-shirts, I am very intrested in microbreweries and their beer as kind of a hobby like I enjoy trying different beers of good quality, I in no way oppose cannabis legalization or use of it....as I partake myself at times and I smoke cigarettes. So maybe this is kind of an unfounded fear but I am afraid of being regarded as some bad influence because I don't fit some kid of aspie group expectation....like what if they all think I'm creepy and harmful because I listen to metal for instance.

I've been told before by some therapist( I don't go to anymore) I should listen to happy music and watch happy movies...because I'm mentally ill, and apparnetly that means I can only handle happy stuff or I'll go off the deep end when I fear I'd go off the deep end if forced to endure too much enthusiasm and happiness that I don't feel. So I guess I fear that kind of thing from an autism group.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 5:24 pm

There is an Adult Autism Clinic here in town as well as meetup groups for folks on the spectrum. I don't partake in any of it because I have avoidance issues. I think I'm not good enough or I'll get ignored, or if not ignored then patronized. I really don't know the exact reason. I've also ran into some negativity right here on WP and would hate to run into these kind of people in person.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 7:35 pm

I go to 2 or 3 a month. I always get something out of it even if it is just leaving my place of residence and getting fresh air. Commonalities to the ones I have been to 1. Acceptance 2. Asperger/HFA 3. Self Diagnosed allowed. But the ages and interests, personalities are different . One group has a topic a month format, another you go around the room and each person discusses the issues they are having, another group is more casual conversation ranging between politicians, trains and Aspergers, after the meeting we go to a pub (quiet corner of course) and have dinner.

People are always leaving for a period of time and coming back. Nobody says anything, we all understand why.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 27 Feb 2014, 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 7:44 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
but I am afraid of being regarded as some bad influence because I don't fit some kid of aspie group expectation....like what if they all think I'm creepy and harmful because I listen to metal for instance.

I've been told before by some therapist( I don't go to anymore) I should listen to happy music and watch happy movies...because I'm mentally ill, and apparnetly that means I can only handle happy stuff or I'll go off the deep end when I fear I'd go off the deep end if forced to endure too much enthusiasm and happiness that I don't feel. So I guess I fear that kind of thing from an autism group.

Go to the music section here and you will see people into every type of music. Happy music has it's place in my life but angry or sad music is cathartic to me. I find it a constructive was to deal with my emotions. By the way one regular female who attends a lot of the groups I go to is a performer in an indie rock band and is kind of goth in appearance.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 7:49 pm

It's kind of like that in my area.......support groups do exist, but they're mostly in other parts of the city, or they're directed towards parents whose children are on the spectrum.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 8:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
but I am afraid of being regarded as some bad influence because I don't fit some kid of aspie group expectation....like what if they all think I'm creepy and harmful because I listen to metal for instance.

Go to the music section here and you will see people into every type of music. Happy music has it's place in my life but angry or sad music is cathartic to me. I find it a constructive was to deal with my emotions. By the way one regular female who attends a lot of the groups I go to is a performer in an indie rock band and is kind of goth in appearance.

I know realistically people on the spectrum can listen to any kind of music....I guess I am just nervous about a smaller group maybe having a bit of a clique going on that I might not fit in with. But yeah its not just the music thing...I feel like a group could be offended that I smoke cigarettes for instance(like maybe the people running the group don't want people who don't practice an entirely healthy/positive lifestyle) or what if they bring up special intrests and I mention micro-brewery one and I get chastised for encouraging vulnerable people to drink or something. I realize I am probably overthinking it way too much and even if I went to a group and wasnt comfortable no one would force me to come back.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 8:36 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

I know realistically people on the spectrum can listen to any kind of music....I guess I am just nervous about a smaller group maybe having a bit of a clique going on that I might not fit in with. But yeah its not just the music thing...I feel like a group could be offended that I smoke cigarettes for instance(like maybe the people running the group don't want people who don't practice an entirely healthy/positive lifestyle) or what if they bring up special intrests and I mention micro-brewery one and I get chastised for encouraging vulnerable people to drink or something. I realize I am probably overthinking it way too much and even if I went to a group and wasnt comfortable no one would force me to come back.

It's not like some NT group where people are trying to trip each other up over words to gain power. It is a support group. As long as you do not use racist, sexist, homophobic, ablest language you should be fine. If the group stinks you walk away and never see them again.