Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AztecQueen2000
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2014, 10:42 am

Anyone else feel this way? I'll admit, it took me a LONG time to accept the possibility that I have Asperger's. But I hate when someone refers to me as "disabled" or "having a disability." :roll: My brain is wired differently, and this provides a host of positives. I'm really good at math and spelling. I can remember phone numbers, even those I don't use frequently. I don't manipulate people. I'm extremely loyal, and see the good in people. I've never been fired from a job. I don't play social games well, but in most cases I think some of them are stupid. I think it's just as offensive to use the word "disabled" as it is to use a racial slur.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 10:46 am

Is it that you hate the word disabled, or is it that you hate how people use the word disabled?

I'm disabled. I'm fully aware of that. There's nothing wrong with me being disabled. I need things that other people don't. I'm significantly impaired. Being so impaired doesn't mean I don't also have things I'm good at, and doesn't make me less human, but it is useful to remember, to take this into account with me too.

But that doesn't change that people will look at me, and treat me like I'm just a subhuman burden who doesn't deserve anything that "real people" get. That's not because I'm "disabled". That's not because of the word, that's because of how people treat me.

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 11:11 am

I don't mind the word. I agree that many of our aspie traits are actually useful and impressive traits to have, but seeing how I can't be independent easily and I can't get or maintain friends easily and also that I have trouble getting a job, that reminds me how disabled I am when it comes to society. If you were to ask me if I'm disabled in regards to how smart I am or how intellectual I am, I'd say no, I'm actually way more intellectual and smart than 95% of the people around me.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 12:30 pm

Self does not mind, and my mom likes 'differently abled' occassionally to those who are familiar with me.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 1:34 pm

I hate that word too. I don't even like the word autism or Asperger's. I don't think my diagnosis is that accurate either. I was diagnosed to get services for what is probably just ADHD. I prefer to call myself nerdy or quirky.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 1:36 pm

I am not disabled either and I also hate it when referred to as such. I have a disability but I am not disabled.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 1:39 pm

I don't really hate the term...after all there are lots of things I struggle with related to the autism and co-morbids, it really does make it hard to function so yeah I think the term disability is accurate.

AztecQueen2000
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Feb 2014, 2:43 pm

Tuttle wrote:
Is it that you hate the word disabled, or is it that you hate how people use the word disabled?

I hate the way it's used, and what it implies. I hate that it means that I have to be the one who is labeled. My mind doesn't work the way everyone else's does, and I am more prone to depression. I'm the sort of person you want to borrow notes from but not hang out with. I can't talk to people easily. But I do live independently, raise my kids, and have held jobs in the past. I'm different. But by that definition, almost everyone is "disabled." Why should I be singled out for mistreatment?

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 2:51 pm

AztecQueen2000 wrote:
Tuttle wrote:

I hate the way it's used, and what it implies. I hate that it means that I have to be the one who is labeled. My mind doesn't work the way everyone else's does, and I am more prone to depression. I'm the sort of person you want to borrow notes from but not hang out with. I can't talk to people easily. But I do live independently, raise my kids, and have held jobs in the past. I'm different. But by that definition, almost everyone is "disabled." Why should I be singled out for mistreatment?

The term disabled isn't meant to single people out for mistreatment I don't think...unfortunately some people think its a good idea to mistreat people if they are 'different' or have any kind of disability(mental or physical).

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 27 Feb 2014, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 2:56 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I am not disabled either and I also hate it when referred to as such. I have a disability but I am not disabled.

What exactly is the difference?...seems like different wordings for the same idea.

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Feb 2014, 3:02 pm

My fiancee refers to our neurological differences (I have ASD, she has OCD) as "gifts," because they help us experience the world in different ways and give us perspective other people don't have that can lead to unique talents. I like that, but I do understand how "disability" is important for the purposes of getting special consideration and help when it's needed.

Emiruko
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Feb 2014, 5:11 pm

Being mistreated for being disabled/different always sucks, but the label itself isn't always bad... If you choose it. Labeling and identifying yourself can be a great relief and give you a group to identify with/ a community, like this website is for ASD people. However, having a label you don't want forced on you is no fun either. Most of the problems I have aren't the labels/conditions themselves, but how people judge and mistreat me for them. I'm always saying that my problem with being Autistic/disabled is not being Autistic/disabled itself, but how crappy other people are about it. Pretty much my point is: Try to be comfortable with yourself and identify with whatever labels you want that apply to you, and not what people force on you. If you don't like the disabled label then don't use it and ask people to not use it when referring to you. :o

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 5:58 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

What exactly is the difference?...seems like different wordings for the same idea.

Disabled=limited to what they are able to do and can't do it
Disability=have limits but have to try harder than other people to do it and are capable

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 6:10 pm

seconding everything Emiruko has said.

its not the labels themselves that are the problem its how the individual interprets it.
am officialy recognised as severely disabled by low functioning classic autism amongst many other complex conditions and have never felt limited by it,have never decided am unable to do something because of being labeled severely disabled,severely autistic or intelectualy disabled.

have never seen 'disability' as a negative thing,if anything its positive, it brings people together.
am more worried when people have the attitude that they never want to be associated with us,which gives off an impression that we are somehow inferior.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 6:17 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Disabled=limited to what they are able to do and can't do it
Disability=have limits but have to try harder than other people to do it and are capable

Interesting, would seem disabled still makes more sense in my case......though in the dictionary there isn't really any distinction between the terms disability and disabled.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2014, 6:56 pm

I prefer to say I have a disability and I can overcome my challenges.