Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

laurenr
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Apr 2014, 6:55 am

Hello

I'm a trainee psychologist working in a mental health team. Prior to this I worked in residential care for adults with autism spectrum conditions.

I was hoping for some help and your insights to inform a training session I am running. I am hoping to talk to some mental health professionals such as community psychiatric nurses, psychiatrists and social workers about skills they can use to make mental health appointments easier for people with autism or asperger's and also a mental health diagnosis such as depression (which is what they would be meeting with our team for). I hope it would increase their understanding of the impact of autism on a session. So far, I have drawn on my previous experience but I was wondering if people in the community could share their experiences of appointments, what was good and what needed to be improved?

Thank you

Lauren

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2014, 7:21 am

My current psychiatrist's office is the best I've ever been to. I think these things contribute to what I like about it:

-limited visual clutter (there are signs, but they are very clear as to their purpose, because they are few, people actually read them)
-the psychiatrist plans her off days in time to post a calendar each year, clearly stating when she will be away (available in the area where you set new appointments)
-office staff is kind and upbeat (like at Starbucks or Chik Fil-A)
-you can email the psychiatrist, and she checks her email once a day, in the morning
-the office can text you about your upcoming appointment, instead of only calling you

things they don't do, but would be helpful

-offer longer appointments for people who struggle to speak (my psychiatrists generally think I cannot speak at all, or very little - one diagnosed me with Aphasia. But, it is truly the length of the appointment, or pressure of the length of the appointment. It is exceptionally frustrating because I need to be able to communicate with the person who prescribes me medicine. On average, it probably takes me over 6 visits to be able to speak my question or concern. One time it took me two years.)
-change fluorescent lighting (too loud/sometimes interferes with my ability to pay attention. I know that sounds whiney, but the lighting *can* make a big difference to some people.)
-give priority for the "clutter-free" room for patients on the spectrum or with sensory processing needs. In this office, I can meet the psychiatrist in one of two rooms. They place us in there and we wait while the psychiatrist sees the person in the room we are not in. One reminds me of a consultation room in a hospital or surgery center (not a lot of extra items in the room). The other room doubles as the psychiatrist's office. I can focus better in the "consultation room".

I hope that helps you. I'm glad that you are even doing this at all!