Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 12:18 pm

I've got a question for members of this group I am wondering if its a common trait of asd to be sensitive to bright lights (sun) as well as some loud noises (high pitches vacuum cleaners)? For me going out in the sun or a brightly lit store can be over kill even when its partly cloudy out I'm normally wearing sun glasses same goes for a bright tv screen or computer monitor likewise with noise I've been told when I was a kid the noise of a vacuum would send me into overdrive likewise with higher pitched noises tho I could be in an arcade and the noises wouldn't bother me too much

Is it normal for those on the spectrum to be sensitive to bright lights and/or sounds such as those listed above?

Thanks

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 12:25 pm

I have a strong sensitivity to light. I can't be outside in the summer without sunglasses if the sun is out, no matter what part of the day it is.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 12:47 pm

Yes it is. Many, if not most people on the Spectrum have sensitivities to sensory input such as lights and sounds. I am sensitive to sound, some lights, certain textures and types of touches.

Wreck It Ralph

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 1:02 pm

skibum wrote:
Yes it is. Many, if not most people on the Spectrum have sensitivities to sensory input such as lights and sounds. I am sensitive to sound, some lights, certain textures and types of touches.
could you elaborate more on the sensitivity to texture would that be like being sensitive to the feeling of a shirt tag on the back of one's neck?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 1:09 pm

If I touch something and my fingers don't like the sensation of it, they will burn. My feet will also. Like if I step on spit, even through my shoes and socks I will burn. If I touch certain fabrics like, I don't really know what the fabrics are called so it's hard to describe them. Ok, here is an example, I have issues with things that don't belong places. Like for example, if I am in bed and I feel something hard on the bedsheet like a little stone perhaps, I will pick it up and put it in the wastebasket. But if I don't wash my hands immediately afterwards my fingers will burn because a pebble does not belong in the bed so I can't tolerate it there. There are certain fabrics that I don't like the feel of, For example there is a fabric that cheap carnival stuffed animals are made out of. It's like a cheap imitation of velvet but it's not really soft. It's almost kind of gritty. If I touch that my fingers will really be bothered by that. It's like my skin crawls and if it's really bad it will burn.

Wreck It Ralph

Spectre
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2014, 1:10 pm

I have sensory sensitivities, more to sound than light I think. As a child, it was much worse for me. But sensory sensitivities are extremely common among people on the spectrum.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 3:45 pm

I hate sudden loud noises.