Does anyone have trouble reading aloud vs silently?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AlfredRI48
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Jun 2014, 7:17 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if others also have trouble reading aloud? If I read a book or other written material to myself its usually okay. However if I read aloud lets say in a meeting room (even if I know the people well) I get tongue tied, feel like I have to pause, or stop, stutter, or feel like the sentence doesn't make sense and then pause again. I also occasionally say the wrong word order, like "Am I working" instead of "I am working" etc.

One thing I noticed is I usually write very well, including the word order if it is on paper, but if I am talking or reading aloud that's not always the case.

Another thing I remember from childhood is I was very talkative with my parents at home but when I went to school I became a mute. This started at about age 10 and up.

Alfred

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 8:18 pm

Yes I believe I'm also dyslexic so it takes me a while to re-read a word and try to comprehend what it's meaning is so when I was asked to read aloud I'd memorize some of the words then when I go to read from the text it throws me through a loop because in some cases I have to deconstruct the word while trying to read in real time to a group of people

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 8:45 pm

I do
I read faster than I can speak

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 9:11 pm

I've heard reading aloud can be better for remembering things and doing revision. But it doesn't matter how many times I do it I can't read aloud for more than 20 or 30 seconds or so. I don't know why, my voice just trails off and I'm like 'Meh, it's just easier in my head'.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Jun 2014, 10:41 pm

I think most people have that same problem, unless they're practiced at reading aloud, like politicians, school teachers and people in the media are.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 11:34 pm

yep. after a while i just trail off, and stop, unless it's something really really important. back in elementary school, when i was picked on to read, i would initially be very reluctant. but if i was forced to read, for some reason my classmates would start giggling. i don't know why!
maybe they thought my voice was funny, or maybe it's my tone. i don't really like it either. but on the plus side, my teachers have told me i'm very good with pronouncing long words :o

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 4:33 am

I don't think I'd have as much trouble with it now but when I was in school I always refused to read out loud and would get in trouble for it. They would even do things like say that we would all sit there until I read but I always held out longer than them because I knew that they couldn't keep us there forever.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 9:37 am

I'm a very fast reader but speaking is a whole other thing. When I read something out loud I trip over words and invert words all the time.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Jun 2014, 12:22 pm

I've been told that I am an excellent reader when I read out loud. The problem for me is that I can remember very little of what I read when readingout loud. This in turn causes me to pause and try to make sense of what I just read.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 1:51 pm

I have a little trouble reading aloud. I tend to be too fast and I stumble over the words sometimes. I have also had a lot of trouble with letting my words drop. I have always done that. I can be very expressive when I read aloud though. I was always one of the best aloud readers in school growing up but I have to remember to take it more slowly.

Wreck It Ralph

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2014, 6:56 pm

I also have problems reading aloud. Oddly, I have more difficulty reading fiction vs non fiction (reference books or science articles). I think it's because I'm not good at creating the inflections that are often found in fictional stories but I still get caught up in trying to figure out what the inflections should sound like. I'm pretty monotone when I talk, and I think that contributes to my problems with reading fiction out loud.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

BlueBean
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2014, 9:21 pm

I am a very fast silent reader, but I will stutter all over myself if I read aloud.

AlfredRI48
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jun 2014, 9:46 pm

Thank you everyone for responding. I guess there are quite a few who have the same trouble as me (able to read pretty fast silently, not out loud). Someone had mentioned that they also cannot remember what they read when they read it out loud and I also found that to be the case myself, in addition to stumbling, reversing words and stuttering. Is that more of an Aspie trait? I would assume so. I know a lot of people whom I work with and have heard them read out out during meetings don't have these problems.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 12:49 am

eggheadjr wrote:
I'm a very fast reader but speaking is a whole other thing. When I read something out loud I trip over words and invert words all the time.

Ditto

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 1:12 am

I am fairly good at reading something out loud in a room full of people, but it also depends on whether or not I feel comfortable in that particular group in the first place. I remember a peculiar episode in my life, when I was going to adult school (to try and get my secondary school exams), and I was asked to read a couple of paragraphs, and I just had this major shutdown inside my head that disabled me from reading a word. This was because I felt extremely uncomfortable with the other students in the classroom.

Other times, I've had trouble reading something in a classroom when I was feeling some kind of pressure of doing it very well.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2014, 8:15 am

When I read I can either read out loud OR understand what I read. I can't do both at the same time.

My reading technique is good and pretty fast. I do well with texts that doesn't require me to understand and can be read using a monotone voice. I remember getting a "I read beautifully" trophy when I was 8, as the only one in my class. That was quite of accomplishment.

The problem starts when I want to understand what I read or the thing I am reading requires voice changes (for example when I am reading a dialog of a few characters or a poem)... which in fact also comes with understanding since I have to understad the text to decide what tone of voice to use.
I can't focus on making the sound come out of my mouth correctly and think about how to say it at the same time so I start to lose words (it appears I think I said them but it was all in my mind xD), make weird voice modulation, end sentences too early and make other mistakes.

Whats funny I have no problem reciting or singing something out of my memory. In that case I just hear it in my mind and repeat it like it is - with all the required voice intonation. But it is easy since I don't have to think how to modulate my voice - I hear it the way it should be said.

The operation: "look at the letters - make a word of them - understand the word - decide how to say the word - say the word" is just too complicated to do instantly. "Look at the letters - make a word of them - say the word" or "hear the word - repeat the word" is much easier. The whole analyze thing makes me stuck.