19 Jun 2014, 10:10 pm

Hello,

I took some online Aspie and related tests. These are the results:

Aspie quiz=167 of 200 (aspergers)
NT Score=68 of 200
AQ-50=41 of 50 (austim quotient)
EIQ=32 of 100 (emotional maturity test)
EQ=14 of 80 (empathy)

I know what all but the NT score means. I believe 0-30 is normal and anything above is Aspie, but why is there a second score for NT??

Thanks,
Al

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2014, 10:40 pm

The Aspie Quiz gives you two scores, both out of 200: an Aspie score and an NT score. People on the spectrum will get high Aspie scores (like your 167 out of 200) and low NT scores (like your 68 out of 200).

The AQ Test gives a single score (like your 41 out of 50), where 0-25 is NT, 32-50 is likely ASD, and 26-31 is borderline or BAP ("broad autism phenotype").

The AQ Test and the Aspie Quiz are two quite different tests.

AlfredRI48
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2014, 10:49 pm

Okay understand, but based on those scores I am a person with aspergers and autism? I thought aspergers was a form of autism or ASD?

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2014, 12:44 am

Based on those scores you could have Asperger. Asperger is considered to be on the milder part of the Autism spectrum. The new DMS-V doesn't recognize Asperger syndrome anymore, but will use an Autism Spectrum diagnosis instead.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2014, 12:14 am

AlfredRI48 wrote:
Okay understand, but based on those scores I am a person with aspergers and autism? I thought aspergers was a form of autism or ASD?

Aspergers, autism, ASD - for the purposes of these tests they are all the same thing. Aspergers is a "mild" form of autism, and ASD covers the whole range of autism from "mild" to severe, and "autism" either means any ASD more severe than Asperger's, or it just means the same thing as ASD and includes Aspergers as well as the more severe forms.

People aren't consistent in their use of these words. The real question these tests try to answer is: are you likely to be somewhere on the autism spectrum? The answer looks like you may well be - but only a clinician experienced in ASD can tell you for sure.

BlueBean
Raven
Raven

21 Jun 2014, 12:28 am

Who made these online tests, by the way?

EDIT: Nevermind, found the sticky.

MaKin
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Jun 2014, 2:26 pm

The tests aren't a diagnosis, so according to these tests you maybe have symptoms that are associated with Asperger's. It doesn't mean you have Asperger's.

Aspergers is an Autism Spectrum Disorder.

There are other Autism Spectrum Disorders......all of which, including Asperger's Syndrome, are categorized under.

So, if a person has Asperger's Syndrome, they are Autistic.

I'll say it rephrased in another way::: The online Aspie tests and EQ tests and EIQ tests and all the other online tests revolved around Asperger's and other ASDs are NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR A DIAGNOSIS. They are only there to help a person figure out if they have a good reason to think they should be professionally tested.

turquoiseX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2014, 7:21 am

yes, but i think the question is why does the Aspie Quiz use a metric for both NT *and* an Aspergers?

most tests, like the AQ test, have a cut off point- i think the AQ test is 30, or 33? so if you're below it, you're considered NT.

why does the aspie quiz give both NT and AS scores?

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 7:16 am

turquoiseX wrote:
yes, but i think the question is why does the Aspie Quiz use a metric for both NT *and* an Aspergers?

most tests, like the AQ test, have a cut off point- i think the AQ test is 30, or 33? so if you're below it, you're considered NT.

why does the aspie quiz give both NT and AS scores?

First, the AQ Test just says that a score of 32 or more carries a likelihood of ASD, while a score less than 32 carries a greater likelihood of being NT. About 20% of people diagnosed with ASD score below 32 - it is not an absolute cutoff, merely an indicator of the likelihood of ASD. A diagnostician would make their own observations and also interview people (e.g. parents or partners) who know the person well.

The person who made the Aspie Quiz regards "neurodiversity" (a concept which covers ASD, ADHD, dyslexia and various other learning conditions) as a separate (and largely opposite) set of characteristics to "neurotypical". He does not regard them as two ends of one scale, but as two separate scales, each with its own defining qualities that are not simply the negative of the qualities in the other scale. So his quiz provides two scores - a score based on neurotypical characteristics, and a score based on neurodiverse characteristics.

To explain a bit more by using an analogy: instead of contrasting "liking to go to parties" with "not liking to go to parties" - a single scale - he does something like contrasting "liking to go to parties" with "liking to study mathematics". It may be that mathematicians tend to avoid parties, but that is not the definition of mathematician. A mathematician is not (by definition) someone who avoids parties, it is someone who has skills and pleasure in quantitative and spatial thinking.

So a quiz about "liking to party" would only yield a single score, while a quiz about liking to party and also liking to study mathematics would yield two scores: one measuring the strength of liking to party, and a separate score measuring the strength of liking to study mathematics. So the Aspie Quiz measures the extent to which you have NT characteristics, and the extent to which you have Aspie characteristics. Those characteristics are defined by different things - Aspie is not simply the absence of NT, and NT is not simply the absence of Aspie characterics.

I hope that make some sort of sense.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2014, 8:44 am

I've taken the rdos Aspie Quiz a number of times over the past few years, and my Aspie/NT ratings have always added up to almost exactly 200, eg:

Aspie Score: 132
NT Score: 65

Or more recently:

Aspie Score: 120
NT Score: 81

This makes some kind of sense to me. What I find harder to understand is when people (rarely) report scores like Aspie 110, NT 114 (saw one of these recently).

I'm 44/50 on the AQ test by the way. Seems "alarmingly" high, lol!