Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2015, 2:40 pm

I'm trying not to worry about it too much but naturally I am very nervous. It's been quite a battle to get the assessment sooner than the 18months/2 years we were originally told (thanks to my mum's persistence) so it feels quite strange to think it's tomorrow.

I spent some time with my mum the other day and she said how she doesn't think my dad really understands aspergers/autism and I agreed, so I decided to share a video by Tony Attwood with him that I thought was quite good (he struggles with reading so no point giving him a book). He agreed that it was a good video and said he could recognise a lot of what he said in me and from when I was a kid. So hopefully he has a bit more of an understanding at least.

My mum was supposed to have a telephone consultation last week, prior to the face to face assessment but they decided it was better to do that face to face too, so we have to get there earlier to factor that in. Then once they've spoken to my parents they will speak to me.

I've been told the assessment uses the D.I.S.C.O? (Ever since I found that out nearly a couple of weeks ago I keep getting that Ottawan song stuck in my head!).

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 2:44 pm

Ah. Try not to worry too much it's okay. I had DISCO. Will you be completing all the questions and such in one day only?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 2:47 pm

Happy that you made the breakthrough with your father. I could write about the nerves but everything I thought of would be condescending. Hope tommorow's meeting is helpful for you.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bunnybun
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Nov 2015, 2:56 pm

I had DISCO too. It didn't involve me at all, just conversations with between the psychologist and my Mum (by phone, because my Mum is disabled, but the psychologist usually does them face to face). I had some input to the report write up, though, once he'd made the diagnosis. It takes a long time to do properly, so ask if you can take a break if you need to.

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2015, 4:18 pm

Starfoxx wrote:
Ah. Try not to worry too much it's okay. I had DISCO. Will you be completing all the questions and such in one day only?

Yes, in one day.
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Happy that you made the breakthrough with your father. I could write about the nerves but everything I thought of would be condescending. Hope tommorow's meeting is helpful for you.

Thank you.

bunnybun wrote:
I had DISCO too. It didn't involve me at all, just conversations with between the psychologist and my Mum (by phone, because my Mum is disabled, but the psychologist usually does them face to face). I had some input to the report write up, though, once he'd made the diagnosis. It takes a long time to do properly, so ask if you can take a break if you need to.

Oh right :? From what I can gather, meeting with myself will form most of the meeting tomorrow, I don't know. I hate things not being very clear :? I'm not sure I'd be able to ask to be honest, I think I'm just hoping to get through it and release afterwards :-/.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 4:27 pm

I just want to say that I hope it goes well. I know it can be hard to stay calm, but try not to get too nervous -- it'll be over before you know it! Let us know how it goes. :D

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2015, 4:37 pm

Quill wrote:
I just want to say that I hope it goes well. I know it can be hard to stay calm, but try not to get too nervous -- it'll be over before you know it! Let us know how it goes. :D

Thank you. I will :)

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 4:39 pm

I was super nervous going into my diagnosis as well. I actually cried about it. But don't worry, it will be fine. I did not know what to expect but it ended up being really fun. It felt like I was playing a bunch of games and I really actually enjoyed it. And the people were very nice and made me very comfortable. You'll be fine. Try to get a good night's sleep and try to eat well. It will be okay.

Wreck It Ralph

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2015, 5:21 pm

skibum wrote:
I was super nervous going into my diagnosis as well. I actually cried about it. But don't worry, it will be fine. I did not know what to expect but it ended up being really fun. It felt like I was playing a bunch of games and I really actually enjoyed it. And the people were very nice and made me very comfortable. You'll be fine. Try to get a good night's sleep and try to eat well. It will be okay.

Thank you. On that note, it's getting late here so I must get off to bed. Will report back tomorrow!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 5:25 pm

Have a great night. I will look forward to hearing how it all goes.
Goodnight. Sweet dreams. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

Kirstie04
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Nov 2015, 7:53 am

So.... I had my assessment this morning and it's official; Aspergers Syndrome, moderate/severe.

After walking aimlessly around town to try and expend some stress and nervous energy, I have retreated to the computer room with my music on to decompress a bit before my lecture this afternoon. I would write more now but I just wanted to share it here quickly and give myself time to sort of zone out a bit before my lecture, so I may write more later.

Overall very positive though I think.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 8:32 am

Glad it's over and it went well! :D

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 8:37 am

Thank you for letting us know right away. I am glad it was a good experience for you. You may feel a whirlwind of different emotions in the days and weeks to come as it all settles in but it's really good for you to know. I am really happy for you that you found out.

Wreck It Ralph

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 12:55 pm

Glad to welcome another moderate/severe Aspie to wrong planet. More later when you get a chance to further explain.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 1:02 pm

I wasn't given a severity, just the AS diagnosis. :shrug:

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 1:41 am

Congratulations, welcome to the club :) I'm glad it all went well, and I'm impressed you got your results immediately; I had to wait five weeks after my assessment was over to get the results, it drove me crazy. Do you know how you feel about it yet?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!