Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 4:01 pm

OK a while back I've mentioned that I have one friend or as I term it an acquaintanceship and for a while we would take trips into the city either I would drive or he would go to various restaurants catch a movie... he has showed me an Art/Indy theater which I have come to love He has introduced me to a "whole new world". HOWEVER, I've began noticing the more and more we take such trips the more and more bigoted he's becoming and it's not the funny Archie Bunker type either. Not to mention from time to time he would make comments about the president that if another NT would hear it I'm sure it would raise a an eyebrow or two.

I'm conflicted as to what to do about the "friendship" on the one hand I *detest* his bigoted comments. In the past I have never associated with any people like that but on the other hand he has opened another world to me that I would have never seen if I had continued to live my life in solidarity.

Normally I'm not a social guy I keep to my self not wanting to be bothered by others but for some reason there's a small molecule in my being that just wants a person to "hang with" and because of that it conflicts with the rest of my being I don't tolerate bigotry and/or racism so why am I selling my self out?

I am conflicted here this "normal behavior" for NT's? Or am I being (over) sensitive?!

I could really use some advice!

Thanks

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2014, 4:42 pm

Tell him how you feel. And if he is making racist slurs and making them towards our president that is unacceptable for anyone. Don't tolerate it. Don't just cut the friendship off without talking to him and without giving him a chance to change his behavior. Everyone deserves the chance to change. He may not even be aware of how bad those remarks are or what they really mean. If he refuses to change and he is a racist then I would seriously consider ending the friendship. You can certainly be thankful to him for the wonderful things he has helped you experience and you can continue to enjoy them and you can always be thankful to him for that and you can be thankful for the friend that he has been to you. But there is no place for racism and bigotry. That is wrong and it should not be tolerated.

Wreck It Ralph