Holding polarised opinions about everything simultaneously

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 1:17 pm

I don't know if anyone else has this problem but I have a very polarised view of things, and I hold conflicted opinions at the same time about everything.

What does this mean and how do I stop it?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 1:44 pm

i'm not sure exactly what it means, but i often feel like i have that same problem.
where i see everything from multiple viewpoints equally. to me, it can bee a good thing, to have less of a "narrow minded" view on something and more easily acknowledge another viewpoint, but at the same time it's frustrating because i can hardly argue for one opinion without another part of me disagreeing on it.

it could be why i'm no good at debates.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Norny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 2:10 pm

That's called 'cognitive dissonance' and it has been one of my greatest problems for years now.

I don't know how to fix it either without being completely apathetic.

Last edited by Norny on 17 Aug 2014, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 2:11 pm

It can also be lack of perspectival abridgment. You cannot hold a dominating viewpoint because your sense of basic self is diminished.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 2:31 pm

Sometimes there are too many unknowns to make a solid opinion.
Or arguments are equally valid seen from different perspectives.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 2:41 pm

Maybe it means that you don't actually have an opinion, and you just see all the facets of the situation without having decided which side you think is best.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 3:58 pm

beneficii wrote:
It can also be lack of perspectival abridgment. You cannot hold a dominating viewpoint because your sense of basic self is diminished.

i think this is the case with me.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Transyl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2014, 4:29 pm

Other people have already written good things. I wanted to add my personal theory.

Now it may not be like this for everyone, but for me, I'm inherently a contradiction. I always want to be alone. And I always want to share my life with others. These two conflicting aspects rage an eternal war. Part of it is that I don't how to share my life with others. Even if I did I'm too afraid they'd reject me for being different. That means when I get myself to try I'm still holding back. I'm always holding back. I don't know how to be any other way. :cry:

When someone asks you, "Do you want to spend time with me?" And the answer can never be a simple yes or no, not if you're being honest with yourself, then you lose a clear vision of life. We may love that person a great deal. Yet because we exist in a paradox it makes our thoughts and feelings confusing and overwhelming. This ends up permeating not only relationships but our whole mind.

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:48 am

I used to moderate a politics forum for this exact reason. People on "both sides" always felt that I was unbiased and could see all points of view. They also elected me as 'administrator' which meant they trusted me to moderate the other moderators. And as a moderator, I was always fair in policing the rules.

On the flip side though, I struggle with taking sides when taking sides is needed. That's a minefield I often have trouble with.

"What do you think we should do?"
"I don't know. What do you think we should do?"

Maybe it's tied to conflict avoidance in various ways.

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 4:54 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i'm not sure exactly what it means, but i often feel like i have that same problem.
where i see everything from multiple viewpoints equally. to me, it can bee a good thing, to have less of a "narrow minded" view on something and more easily acknowledge another viewpoint, but at the same time it's frustrating because i can hardly argue for one opinion without another part of me disagreeing on it.

it could be why i'm no good at debates.

Yup - I can have four different opinions on the same subject, and all have equal validity!