Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 11:33 am

thinks this is accurate?

I have been trying to find a way to explain the aspie experience to NTs. This is what I came up with:

What if you suck at baseball. You cannot hit, catch, or throw the thing. The uniform is hot and sweaty and itchy and ill fitting and ugly. When you run you trip over your own feet. The fall causes extreme pain and you are a bleeder.

Yet society demands that you play baseball every day. As you go onto the field you know that you will bothc plays, strike out, and face the hatred of the crowd and your teMmates.

But there is no way out. So again you don the uniform and go to the field whilst thinking about how long is left in your life and how many more games you must play.

Anyway, I think it is a fair analogy.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 11:38 am

Yeah, that definately about describes what's it's like for me playing baseball. :D

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 11:46 am

Oh goddd You reminded me about haing to have to play football ---who invents sports fabrics!! !

My first day I took it off - I couldn't hack it anymore .. it's not like I ever got off the bench anyway!

-The next time I took me neckless skivvy along (I still have a thing about any clothing that goes up to your ears!)

-Even throught the skivvy you could 'feel' the fabric. -by the time the first year of games was over I had become accustomed to it well sort of,, I was always being told to put it back on because I would catch a cold, even during half time I'd take it off - I actually looked cool - like I had done more work during the game!

DoubleFeed
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Mar 2007, 12:49 pm

It becomes quite painful when you really have a desire to play baseball.
So you stay with it and continue sucking at baseball. Then nobody wants you on the team, but you'll sell your soul to get it right.
Which is just about what it takes to get it right.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Mar 2007, 1:04 pm

That's a pretty good analogy, I'll use it some time, maybe it'll help me out. I won't try it on my brother though - he would play baseball if he had to run on live coals wearing a hair shirt. But then, *he's* normal. 8O

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 1:14 pm

nutbag wrote:
thinks this is accurate?

I have been trying to find a way to explain the aspie experience to NTs. This is what I came up with:

What if you suck at baseball. You cannot hit, catch, or throw the thing. The uniform is hot and sweaty and itchy and ill fitting and ugly. When you run you trip over your own feet. The fall causes extreme pain and you are a bleeder.

Yet society demands that you play baseball every day. As you go onto the field you know that you will bothc plays, strike out, and face the hatred of the crowd and your teMmates.

But there is no way out. So again you don the uniform and go to the field whilst thinking about how long is left in your life and how many more games you must play.

Anyway, I think it is a fair analogy.

Actually, I CAN run. Some times I really tried, and found I could run FAST.(Easy to prove, since nobody wanted to be caught dead running slower than I did, so when I beat them I had a high confidence it was legit.) When I started, I hit ok. Maybe it was beginners luck, but maybe if I kept up... I could throw OK also.

You make being AS sound like it is horribly bad though, and it isn't. Maybe a better example would be you can't hit their balls, and they can't hit yours. They don't want to play with you because of that. At least it is closer to what happens.

Steve

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 1:20 pm

Also, you want to explain to them that your brain makes you do all the things different but you can't learn their rules and they can't learn yours. You don't want them getting you into a discussion of, well you could if you practiced enough. That seems to be what many NTs think and it seems to be what the so-called experts feed them.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 2:19 pm

Yep the analogy sounds pretty accurate. But like someone else mentioned you left out the part about no one wants you on their team. And then getting hit in the head by the baseball most likely by a teammate then being called a whimp because you didn't get back up fast enough after the concussion.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 2:27 pm

Didn't want to lead anyone. Just looking for comments. Good to hear from you, ticker.

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 2:32 pm

Hey Nutbag its good to see you online again. I take it you got the computer fixed? I don't think you were leading anyone. We were just continuing the analogy. I think a good number of us have played on that same baseball team. :? I now prefer to hide in the dugout as much as possible.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 2:52 pm

Hey, at least you got hit by the ball and not the bat. That, by the way, is not the way I would suggest anyone learn about personal space! Yes, unfortunately that is a true story.

Fiz
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2007, 5:35 pm

This is a good analogy, I feel like this sometimes and have been trying to find a way to describe it.