Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

grbiker
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2014, 5:04 pm

Does anyone else have haircut issues?

I went to the barber today for a haircut. I used to go long periods of time waiting until my hair was so long and unmanageable before I would get it cut, which is a problem because I really like SHORT hair, easy to manage, uses less shampoo.

The reason I'd wait so long is that I have a lot of trouble with the intimate nature of the process, and the fact that every barber/hairstylist wants to chat to make you feel at ease. I would go to a different place every time to avoid becoming too familiar. Old guys were usually the easiest, they seem more comfortable not having to fill the void with chit chat.

Well I've finally found a barber that I'm comfortable with. He's quick and efficient, and I'm more comfortable engaging in chit chat with him.

Apart from the social aspect, I also have some baggage around haircuts and hair length from growing up. Had the home haircuts from hell, my dad would always be on my case to "get a haircut", he'd say "you need a haircut" after I just got one because it wasn't short enough for him.

Anyways, I'm somewhat pleased to be able to put some of this discomfort to rest.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

26 Sep 2014, 5:55 pm

I can relate, it is probably the reason I started to wear my hair longer when I was younger. I dislike the social and intimate of nature of it, I don't like the chit chat and from what I understand that is why a lot of them do it begin with.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 6:02 pm

I can relate to what you're saying -- never liked the whole chit-chat in the barber chair experience. Finding one with whom you're comfortable with takes some searching. I've had a few short-term relationships with some good barbers.

I go to a chain salon, now, and rarely get the same person every time, probably because I never take the time to learn a stylist's hours, if I like them. It doesn't bother me too much, these days.

Oscar Meyer Lansky

WeeYank
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2014, 9:27 pm

I really dislike getting my hair cut. At several times in my life it has grown really long (I mean Crystal Gayle-long) because I couldn't stand having somebody cut it. I finally found a stylist who I was comfortable with. She was cool about skipping the chit-chat, the shoulder/head massage, and overly-fragrant hair products but then she moved to another city so it is growing out again. I am doomed to live out my days as an autistic Cousin Itt. :cry:

(BTW, long hair on guys can be pretty hot. Just sayin', guys.)

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:37 pm

I found getting haircuts to be very painful physically and the social aspects were unbearable. Last time I had my hair cut, it was to follow school dress code. I cut my hair myself and it actually turned out alright. I got a lot of compliments over my hair, but that was two years ago. The worst part about my hair is that a lot of female strangers ask to touch my hair...

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 9:43 pm

have any of you tried to cut your own hair?

if so, do you find it easier with the social component removed?

YarnMonster
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Sep 2014, 11:11 pm

slave wrote:

I cut my own hair. I'm a girl so it's a bit different, well, that's very gender restrictive of me. I prefer bob-length, that's better.

I pull it into ponytail (held with my hand- not a hairclip) on top of my head, twist and cut. twist the other way and cut again. But my hair is curly so it hides bad cuts.

I'll do anything to avoid a stranger trying to rub my head, spray water on my face and then force me to talk to them about inane things they don't care about for half an hour. AND have to pay more because I get a 'girl's haircut'. :p

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 11:16 pm

Yea I can't stand getting my hair cut a for the because people whom are cutting my hair always want to talk I don't feel comfortable talking to people and I don't like people getting too close to my face so I tend to grow my hair out to the point where I can't stand the feeling of it Normally I get my hair cut twice a year one in the fall/winter and one in the spring/summer

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 11:49 pm

as others have said, i especially hate the social component of haircuts, being drowned in questions, trying to talk while there is hair falling in front of your face, and potentially into your mouth. i use gestures to talk most of the time, and that is impeded by a thick robe...shawl, whatever it is covering my body and consequentially my arms, and of course, trying to nod and not being able to.

worse, since the person who has cut my hair my entire life is my aunt who has her own little salon, she is extra talkative about school, friends, etc etc.... :roll: and she may think it is okay to give me something different than what i wished for because "we're family" and i can forgive her.

slave wrote:

i have, a little bit....
nobody outside of my family has commented on it, and all of them less than great. others don't see the difference.

:lol:

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2014, 11:58 pm

I used to cut my own hair when it was longer. Now it's short it's trickier to do myself. The main issue I have with getting my hair cut is the headache - sometimes migraine - I get afterwards. I'm not sure if it's from the pulling on the scalp or the products they use - I never get product put in my hair myself and I absolutely refuse to have it washed - or I end up with a migraine. I never comb or brush my hair - just comb it with my fingers. It always stays in place however I style it. I don't use shampoo either, so I was wondering if it's the smell of the shampoo or dyes in the shop that gives me headaches or the combing and pulling on my scalp. Does anyone else experience this?

WeeYank
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Sep 2014, 11:58 pm

slave wrote:

I have. I thought I'd done a pretty good job too until a co-worker said "It'll grow back." :roll:

BeggingTurtle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 12:02 am

My hair is really messy and I only let my mum's barber cut it.

Shield
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Sep 2014, 12:46 am

I've been really lucky because I've gone to the same hairdresser my whole life and the same guy has cut my hair since I was 8 or so -he doesn't mind when I ask about his cat and I know to ask about how his kid is doing. I think for a lot of us on the spectrum the sensory stuff alone would be hard enough.

Zajie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 6:08 am

I never cut my hair except when it gets too long I let my mom cut it for me, the last time I went to a hairdresser was two years ago

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 7:01 am

Haircuts, dentist and taking care of matters like renewing my car registration are the kind of tasks that I tend to put off and find mildly distressing. I guess I don't like changing my routine very much and task like that require patience and waiting - something I am admittedly not very good at.

- Albert Einstein

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2014, 7:27 am

My hairdresser is a chatter, but she talks about what I want to discuss and has no problem with that. She'll ask me questions that are easy to answer, so we just start talking about various things. :3 I like her a lot because she's nice. She also knows about my special needs as well. However, I have no problem with people cutting my hair or anything. I do like to keep the same person because it's hard to get used to new people for me, especially when they don't know what I like or how I want things to be done. Nor do they know anything about the disabilities I have either.

As for dentists (unrelated but the poster above me spoke about it), I can't even set foot into a dentist's office without freaking out. I'm literally terrified of them. I don't really know why, but ever since I was three, I never liked dealing with them.