PayPal says workers with ASD more effective than with MBAs

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 10:32 am

jbw wrote:
To the aspies with MBA in this thread: Did you go down this educational path because management is one of your special interests, or because you saw it as a way of gaining credentials that help with passing in the neurotypical corporate world?

I did NOT get an MBA (just an undergrad) and did not know about Aspergers back then but yes, that was my line of thought. I figured "I hate the corporate world, but the money will make it worthwhile." Needless to say the job and the money never came. I knew I did not have that ability to charm and thought my good marks would count for something. They did not.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 12:31 pm

jbw wrote:
To the aspies with MBA in this thread: Did you go down this educational path because management is one of your special interests, or because you saw it as a way of gaining credentials that help with passing in the neurotypical corporate world?

Definitely the latter, although with some hope that if I ever get in a manager position I'd have a better chance to keep it. I figured back then that managers are thinkers and can devise and implement new ideas. Now I see that they are rarely allowed to, instead, they have to endure more stress.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 9:06 pm

jbw wrote:

I was working as a software engineer when I decided to attend a part-time MBA program.

Why:
- Many of ?my? goals in childhood and early adulthood were set by my parents. Obtaining a master?s degree was one such goal.
- I was frustrated with the decision making process in the working world and figured that I would be able to make a broader impact if I had an MBA.

Interestingly, it never occurred to me that you needed social skills to succeed in the working world. Yeah, I was quite naïve. Still am. LOL.

As a note, it ended up that the ?science of management? became a special interest of mine. And I immersed myself in the various theories of management, from the thought leaders of the day.