Is autism due to problems with information processing?

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 2:53 am

It seems to me that, even though it isn't included in the criteria, pretty much everyone with an ASD has some sensory issues.

I was thinking about it a few weeks ago, and I realized that pretty much everything that is common for autistic people (social deficits, repetitive behaviors etc.) can possibly be attributed to problems with the brain's ability to process complex or large amounts of information, similar to sensory processing difficulties (or rather, an extension of them).

Social problems, for example, would be due to being hyposensitive to the complex and subtle information, like body language, tone of voice etc.

Also, that would mean repetitive behaviors like routines and special interests are probably a form of limiting excess information. It would make sense, because the brain becomes less sensitive to the same stimuli over time. And more generally, being in your own world would also make sense as a way of escaping from too much stimuli.

I know for me, if my brain was a computer, it would have a lot of memory and capabilities, but the processor would be a piece of junk. Multiple (or large/complex) programs do not run well, and if I try it anyway, it will freeze (and shut down), or the inside will get extremely hot (and melt down).

All those lucky NTs with their fancy multi-core processors. Next time one of them tells me I should be able to do everything that they can, JUST because they can, I'd like to hand them the oldest computer I can find and tell them to try to run all their favorite modern programs on it, then sit back and watch them be frustrated :lol:

- Sherlock Holmes

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:09 am

I think information processing differences and difficulties are part of it for me.

Love transcends all.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:12 am

Makes sense.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 3:25 am

I think that's a decent way to describe the end result.

I believe that it's a genetic predisposition combined with digestive imbalances that wreak havoc on the enteric nervous system & neurotransmitter levels in both the gut and brain, which in turn trips the brain out and alters functions. That plus the potential of leaky guy causing a food chemical induced drug trip effect of sorts.

This is the best I've been able to make sense of my own experiences of improving my neurological health and functioning by treating my digestive issues via diet, herbal detox, and probiotics.

King_oni
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Nov 2014, 10:44 am

Well, that actually is the main issue how my autism shows itself. I just function on my own way, that in some cases comes relatively close to what others do, but still it's a bad copy at best. I function best when given a problem to find way towards a solution myself (something I find increasingly hard to do at jobs or education; since they push methods upon you that seem to cater to this "one-size-fits-all" approach).

Perhaps I'm lucky in that I'm verbal enough to act like a bridge between (most) NT's and myself to translate what's going on somewhat, but still... don't ask me to function in a standardized way, since I'm not able to pull that off. Well.. I could, after extensive attempts, which would probably make me go depressed and outright crazy before the point of comprehension hits for a variety of reasons. (my utter hatred for repetition being one of them). So... yeah... that kinda takes it back "nope... still couldn't do it".

It's an interesting theory though with overstimulation.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 4:11 pm

Information processing is what I do when I am in my own world, withdrawn, spaced out, which precludes interacting with the real world.
The real world is fast and spontaneous. My inner world is slow and repetitious.

campboy92
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Nov 2014, 4:34 pm

That's one of the hardest parts for me, living with autism - is that I have a very difficult time processing information.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2014, 5:31 pm

L_Holmes wrote:
I was thinking about it a few weeks ago, and I realized that pretty much everything that is common for autistic people (social deficits, repetitive behaviors etc.) can possibly be attributed to problems with the brain's ability to process complex or large amounts of information, similar to sensory processing difficulties (or rather, an extension of them).

Yes. Studies have shown that autistic people have more connections and synapses in the brain than NTs. And in particular, more sensory connections.

Having excess connections makes for slower processing. I think it's kind of like processing information through a complex maze rather than using the most direct pathways.

It's been said here that sensory problems may really be the core of autism. It's also been speculated there might be two different types of autism...one that has social cognition as the core deficit, and another that has sensory processing as the core deficit.

Lorna Wing said that social deficits are the core problem in autism. But I think she also said the main problem is with real-time processing, and that most of us figure out social situations just fine later on when we have time to think it through. It just takes us longer.

Quote:
Social problems, for example, would be due to being hyposensitive to the complex and subtle information, like body language, tone of voice etc.

I think sometimes we can hypersensitive to those details while being unable to put together the "big picture." Like for instance noticing the slight twitch of a muscle on a person's face and thinking about what that means, while missing the obvious signs that they are nervous or angry.

And yeah other times we can be hyposensitive or oblivious. It can go either way.

Quote:
Also, that would mean repetitive behaviors like routines and special interests are probably a form of limiting excess information.

I think that is definitely part of it. Anything that deviates from a routine is "new" or "uncategorized" information. Stimming can be a way to recalibrate sensory input.

Quote:
And more generally, being in your own world would also make sense as a way of escaping from too much stimuli.

That's the intense world theory, which I tend to agree with.

For me though, I don't know if it's so much of an escape. It's more like I just get overwhelmed to the point that I have to withdraw to process all the things going through my body and my mind.

Quote:
I know for me, if my brain was a computer, it would have a lot of memory and capabilities, but the processor would be a piece of junk. Multiple (or large/complex) programs do not run well, and if I try it anyway, it will freeze (and shut down), or the inside will get extremely hot (and melt down).

My brain as a computer would be about the opposite of that. I have a super fast processor, but I'm way too low on RAM. And maybe I have a huge hard drive, but it has some bad sectors. And the user keeps opening up too many windows, which eventually makes the operating system crash.

But this is more typical of ADHDers, we have more problems with working memory which basically works just like the RAM in a computer. We tend keep too many ideas and projects and thought processes running and the system constantly hangs up because of it.