Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 7:46 am

Today at work, people were talking about some plane that went missing recently (Malaysian Airlines I think) and I had no knowledge of it as that became apparent as the conversation went on and people thought it was strange that I didn't know what was going on in the world but I have no interest in what is going on in the world (and never have). I never listen to the radio or watch TV.

Is there anyone else out there like this?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Stormtrooper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

30 Dec 2014, 9:34 am

I'm just like that. I only read news about topics that interest me (technology mostly), and ignore those that don't (politics and entertainment).

Sometimes I will get an "obsession" about something and start reading everything about it, like when I wanted to buy a phone I researched phones for days. You could have asked me anything about phones and their specs, makers, features, ... and I would know the answer, but ask me, for example, "Who are you voting for?", and I'll be like "Huh?? There's an election?"

I haven't watched TV, read a newspaper, or listened to the radio in months. I get the news mostly from video game chat, forum posts, and from hearing people talk about it. (I heard about the Malaysian Airlines from video game chat, but didn't look too much into it.)

Undisgnosed - Aspie score: 122 of 200 - NT score: 105 of 200

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 9:48 am

I don't care about much news....but they thought this plane was lost, like the one earlier this year in the same region. It seemed eerie that two planes would be "lost" in the same year, in the same region.

But the plane was found--and, unfortunately, people died. Lives were snuffed out.

It's not something, though, that I will cry about. I didn't know these people personally. I would feel sad when I think of this, though.

Shelldor2015
Raven
Raven

Location: In a Bob Ross painting looking at pretty little clouds and talking to happy little trees.

30 Dec 2014, 10:00 am

I really have no interest in the world around me. I don't generally watch the news because it's so negative. If I do watch the news and see a story yhst particularly enrages me, I can go on a rant for days about it.

AQ 46

"If there is a 50-50 chance something will go wrong, 9 times out of 10 it will" Paul Harvey

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 10:21 am

Politics and current events have been my special interest since I was about nine-years-old. It was the area where I - who was generally thought not to be very bright - could perform as a little professor. Admittedly, there are times I get stressed out about things and stop paying attention for awhile.

Now, sports that is an area where I have never been able to feel the slightest bit of interest. I could not name five current professional athletes if my life depended on it.

- Albert Einstein

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 11:49 am

Sometimes I do, but not to the point I end up being obsessive about it. :lol: Nor keeping up with the updates. Just time to time I check the news, because aside from having online friends from another countries, my relatives, too, are involved outside the country. (I don't want to count how many of my relatives are OFWs)

I check mostly when it involves something a bit serious, something that might add my awareness a bit. Not something like sports news or involving celebrities' updates, they're useless to me.

Planes at Malaysia... Sometimes I'm a bit worried because some of my online friends and possibly relatives lives in Malaysia. I'll just only hope they won't end up in the same fate.

Here at SEA, weather is getting more hostile. And other countries' airports from here, are getting cautious or paranoid about the news.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 1:37 pm

I generally despise network news, so I might be behind on stories like this unless I see it on the Facebook feed. I would be more interested though in the Rosetta mission trying to latch a probe onto a comet.

I wonder how many people in the office talk about things like the Rosetta mission around the water cooler? Or Kepler finding a new Exoplanet?

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 1:41 pm

Shelldor2015 wrote:
I really have no interest in the world around me. I don't generally watch the news because it's so negative. If I do watch the news and see a story yhst particularly enrages me, I can go on a rant for days about it.

I'm in the same boat.

For 2015 I need to avoid the news altogether, it just causes my mind to get overloaded with mostly negative thoughts and just stresses me out. I realize the world is out there, but sometimes I just need to turn it off.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:44 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
Today at work, people were talking about some plane that went missing recently (Malaysian Airlines I think) and I had no knowledge of it as that became apparent as the conversation went on and people thought it was strange that I didn't know what was going on in the world but I have no interest in what is going on in the world (and never have). I never listen to the radio or watch TV.

Is there anyone else out there like this?

What? you don't want to see pictures of what people on facebook are having for lunch?

OMG, you are so self absorbed!

The media creates much of the news because it's a money making industry and keeps so many people agitated (not bored).

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:47 pm

I don't have a tv, and I don't listen to talk radio, and I don't check news websites when I am busy, which is most of the time, so I don't know much of what is going on in the world, and news events always reach me quite late.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 4:59 pm

Stormtrooper wrote:
...but ask me, for example, "Who are you voting for?", and I'll be like "Huh?? There's an election?"

Spot on Stormtrooper. That's me!

Cool nick by the way! :)

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Last edited by ImAnAspie on 30 Dec 2014, 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:00 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
I don't have a tv, and I don't listen to talk radio, and I don't check news websites when I am busy, which is most of the time, so I don't know much of what is going on in the world, and news events always reach me quite late.

You must have a great occupation.
Can I apply?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:13 pm

olympiadis wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:

You must have a great occupation.
Can I apply?

Yes, neuroscience research is great occupation of my brain.
Anyone can apply, if they have skills and education in science, math, and computer programming.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:15 pm

I know somebody who would really like to get into Neuroscience. He posts on WrongPlanet. He is Australian.

What would be the easiest path for him to make a living in Neuroscience?

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:30 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know somebody who would really like to get into Neuroscience. He posts on WrongPlanet. He is Australian.

What would be the easiest path for him to make a living in Neuroscience?

It depends on his background and skills and what kind of job he wants.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2014, 5:32 pm

He's a very young person. He still has only a general idea about what he wants to do.

It's true what you said.