Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sweeToxic
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2015, 8:37 pm

I'm talking about updates and stuff. Do you hate when a website changes unnoticed? I thought I'd ask because Tumblr recently did this. It changed everything and omg... it was so overwhelming. I almost screamed. D: I tried to email them to explain to them how upsetting it is, and that maybe they could at least give an option to go back to the old layout... but noooo they decided to be ignorant jerks saying how I'd just have to get used to it. I don't think a lot of websites that do this understand how hard it is for us.

So, anyway... what the topic title says.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 8:46 pm

I dislike when formerly desktop/laptop-designed web sites are replaced with tablet/phone-designed mobile apps. Much of the information is now hidden (or simply deleted) for space, and navigating the site is about as enjoyable as navigating an ATM. What a way to put a friendly face on your businesses, corporate America! :roll:

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2015, 9:42 pm

It sort of depends on how it changes...if its an improvement than I don't really mind, though may come as a bit of a shock if there is no warning and its a drastic change. But if it goes down-hill like one site I used to go to then yes it bothers me.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

26 Apr 2015, 2:27 am

I quit wrongplanet for a long time and when I come back it changed a lot 8O But I get used to things eventually. Once I get over the initial fact it's changed I can understand the positives - wrongplanet is so much cleaner and clearer than it was before, even if it's not what I am used to. Things can't stay the same forever. :)

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 12:00 am

Yes, I hate this.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 12:44 am

I'm still not used to the change here at WP, the forums are now much too bright for me.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 1:01 am

RoadRatt wrote:
I'm still not used to the change here at WP, the forums are now much too bright for me.

I did like the blue and green color scheme. :) Fitted with the whole planet thing.

UnturnedStone
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2015, 1:02 am

As a programmer / developer I always allow users to "roll back" to a previous version where possible.

Unfortunately however, often the backend changes significantly and previous versions will stop working altogether, but I attempt to make any new versions as similar in appearance as I'm able and not make to many changes at once (as well as giving warning, "Hey! New version is coming sometime, here's what's new!")

But its a double edged sword, I'm sure most would be surprised how often I hear that something looks outdated. (it probably does, but it works and is perfectly functional).

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 2:38 am

AspieUtah wrote:
I dislike when formerly desktop/laptop-designed web sites are replaced with tablet/phone-designed mobile apps. Much of the information is now hidden (or simply deleted) for space, and navigating the site is about as enjoyable as navigating an ATM. What a way to put a friendly face on your businesses, corporate America! :roll:

Same things is going on for browers I think. They are also getting even less options. Bookmarking has become less user friendly. And I still have to find out how I can set IX-search as my standard search engine in the latest opera version. I probably better of switching to the Tor-browser now. :|

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 11:48 am

Improvements don't always make things better. :evil:

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 12:41 pm

zer0netgain wrote:
Improvements don't always make things better. :evil:

:roll:

"im•prove (ĭm-pro͞ovˈ)►
v. To raise to a more desirable or more excellent quality or condition; make better.
v. To increase the productivity or value of (land or property).
v. To put to good use; use profitably."

I think you meant "changes", improving is literally the process of making it better :scratch: :huh: :shrug:

vercingetorix451
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Apr 2015, 2:10 pm

Small updates and tweaks I don't mind, provided they actually do something positive and fix things that need to be fixed. However I can't stand major overhauls. I find them jarring, especially if they are pointless...like with the recent tumblr change. I had to take a break for a little while because of it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 3:12 pm

I dislike websites changing.

Between them, Hotmail and WP (and possibly Firefox) have made a complete mess of my preferred way of working.

Old experience:
Open WP notification email
Click the link
Read new posts
Submit post
Read submitted post

New experience:
Keep clicking until notification email finally condescends to open
Click the link
Get taken to WP login screen (even for public threads!)
Curse as a second, slightly different login screen appears
Curse as WP takes me to my user profile instead of the thread I want
Go back to Hotmail to click the thread link again
Curse as Hotmail closes the email, freezes up and hogs the system resources for a minute or two
Click the link
Read posts
Submit post
Curse as WP takes me to my user profile
Press back button, re-submit
Get a message saying something went wrong, try again
Press back button, re-submit
Read submitted post

Which experience would you prefer? :x

Gaara
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Apr 2015, 4:08 pm

Yep, especially when they completely overhaul the look and make it look really awful. I hate that a lot of sites have decided that a lot more white background is better, it really hurts my eyes :(

It's annoying that they decide a perfectly good design has to go just for the sake of looking different. You don't need to overhaul the layout to make the site better, sometimes it just makes it worse.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 8:22 pm

I'd be happier with upgrades if they were always optional and under the complete control of the user. I don't see why it couldn't be done. Instead of increasing the brightness, why not just provide a user control for brightness, or a set of alternative skins like they do with media players? For the problem I described before, I'd have been happy with a simple switch to choose between normal and awkward login behaviour. :mrgreen:

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 9:22 pm

I used to throw a fit whenever Youtube or Google or Deviantart made changes, but now, I've seen it happen so many times that it's no longer shocking to me.